Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:01 PM

878 posts, read 2,737,433 times

Advertisements

I have a large Master bedroom that has a sitting room area and I am seeking ideas to decorate just the sitting room...at first I thought an office with a desk but I have come to the realization that I do not want work to invade my bedroom.
So my current thought is either a chaise or comfy chair/sofa of some sort with a side table and then maybe a larger tv with a stand. On the tv thing, in my bedroom portion I only have a 19 inch lcd tv on my dresser facing the bed...any ideas are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 07:20 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
My in-laws have something like this. They just have a small loveseat and an arm chair, some lamps to read by, and a small roll top desk to write notes or pay bills on. They do not have a TV in the area. A small sewing basket is on one corner and if you do any sort of needle work (e.g. knitting, crocheting, etc.), this would be a perfect place for it. I would put a little water fountain to add to the relaxing mood. It should serve as a quiet little oasis, as a bedroom should be, without necessarily having to lay down.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:35 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
We have a large bedroom with a sitting room on one side. We had room to put a full sized entertainment center on one wall of the bedroom with a large screen TV. The sitting room has a chaise positioned to allow TV watching and a writing desk with a chair. At the back end of the chaise there is a reading lamp and at the backend of the desk is my wife's jewelry armoire.

We would not have designed such a large master suite but this was one feature of the house we bought.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:37 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
I'd check the finest hotel suites and how they're decorated. If you can duplicate the 1929 Raffles Hotel Le Royal in Phnom Penh, you'll never need to leave home.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:46 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,767 times
We had a 9x10 sitting area that we had originally turned into an office with a bookcases, metal cabinet , computer table, etc . I hated it! When we redecorated the bedroom several years ago we changed the "office" into a wonderful walkin closet! (our original closet only allowed for one of us to be in it at a time.) Then we knocked down the space where the old closet was & created a small nook with room for a small desk which is much more suited for our bedroom & faces out the front window. I also have a wireless computer setup & wood file cabinet tucked in the nook. The new closet is a real winner with us and the new desk setup suits our bedroom nicely without being obnoxious.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:30 AM

Thank you all...that water fountain idea is lovely...funny enough I am actually in a hotel in Pittsburgh and was lucky enough to get an upgrade to a mini suite that has that exact layout which gave me the idea to post this thread...they have a sofa and two chairs with a table and of course the requisite lamp.
All great ideas...keep them coming.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:32 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
What, exactly, will you use the area for? I know that if I had a similar area I would decide on furniture only after I was sure. Will you read there? Do needlework? Or, truthfully, do you already have a routine where you do these things in other places in the house? In this case, maybe you only want to decorate the space to look nice without interrupting traffic flow knowing you won't really use it.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:37 AM

I am not sure I will do much other than simply relaxing...it is at the end of the room so you do not have to pass through it to go anywhere...not sure what i want to use it for which is why i am open to ideas of how people use a room like this...I do know that I will not use it for working with a computer etc.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:21 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,707 times
If you're the type to enjoy watching television while lounging, then by all means put in a TV. If you're the type to sit in a comfortable chair and read a book, then put in a chair and table.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:03 AM

275 posts, read 1,545,186 times
We have all this extra space in our Master too. Since we are going to buy a LCD tv for our family room, we are going to put our 50' tv in that area. It will fill out that area nice. We'll probably put a chaise lounge or some kind of comfortable chairs, side table and lamp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House