Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 12:43 PM

195 posts, read 274,272 times

Advertisements

Purchased my house 2 years ago and was a rental before...I’m getting medical statements, phone bills, literally everything. I used return to sender for the first gear, made no difference so gave up. A year later it’s still happening. New stuff gets sent too from new addresses’s so he must be still using my address as his.

Is there anything else I can do here to stop it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 12:54 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
Purchased my house 2 years ago and was a rental before...I’m getting medical statements, phone bills, literally everything. I used return to sender for the first gear, made no difference so gave up. A year later it’s still happening. New stuff gets sent too from new addresses’s so he must be still using my address as his.

That happened to me too when I bought my house. I put notes to the mailman in the mail box and everything but he kept delivering mail for her. Obviously her kids had never put in an address change to be sent to them when she died. Finally I called the post office and complained. Told them the woman was dead and didn't care if she got mail or not and would they PLEASE not send anymore. I knew the executor of her estate and notified him if something looked 'Important' enough but trashed all the junk mail. Finally the mailman took her name out of the mailbox and, three years later, I might still get some kind of catalog, etc.. Anyway, call the post office about this. It isn't YOUR responsibility to worry about the previous tenants change of address.

Is there any way you can contact the guy whose mail it is? I'd guess you have his name from the mail you get and Google can be your friend!

Old 05-02-2018, 01:01 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
I’m getting medical statements, phone bills, literally everything
Are you saying the full compliment of monthly bills... every month?
That would be very odd.

Quote:
A year later it’s still happening.
Ten years later you'll still get a piece now and then.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:07 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:

Keep using the "Return to Sender, No Longer at This Address".

Some company probably sold an old mailing list to another one is why you still get newer mail.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:11 PM

492 posts, read 638,067 times
I cross out the address and write “not at this address and put it back in my mailbox. It doesn’t take long for the mail person to figure out it is more work to pick it up and refile it as non-deliverable than it would be to file it as non-deliverable in the first place.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:13 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I still get mail for a previous owner; I've lived in my house 14 years.

If it's mailed first class, I write "not at this address" on the envelope and leave it for the mail carrier. Everything else gets recycled.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:40 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Sometimes it gets strange when mailing lists aren't updated. My late wife keeps getting offers for life insurance and cruises.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:48 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,017 times
Don't just leave it out for the mail carrier.
When you've accumulated several pieces, write "not at this address", take all of it to post office, go to counter and explain the problem.

It's not your responsibility to try to contact the person or the companies sending the mail. Take to post office and be done with it.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:55 PM

195 posts, read 274,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Are you saying the full compliment of monthly bills... every month?
That would be very odd.

Ten years later you'll still get a piece now and then.
Everything - Sprint, Multiple medical bills, HSA, IRA, Bank statements including debit cards!! New medical bills from different providers (based on outside I don’t open because I know it’s against the law) so I know it’s not just unpaid bills it seems like it’s new procedures and the person just continues to use this address (I’m guessing so he can dodge the payments)

I don’t care about junk mail because that goes away with time, I’m getting his literal mail. Maybe he’s homeless I don’t know.

Tried to look him up on Facebook and not on there either. I guess I just need to continue returning to sender and if this continues save it up for a month and dump it at post office and tell them I can’t keep getting this indefinitely

Old 05-02-2018, 01:57 PM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
My Mom still gets mail for me at her house and I haven't lived there for 37 years.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House