Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 08:49 AM

9,611 posts, read 21,149,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We tired DAP on a small one inch section. It's not hard but it's not coming loose either after a heavy rain.
We can look for Sarco if DAP is the consensus no go.
I've never used anything but DAP and have no complaints whatsoever. Not saying there's not something better our there, but it serves the purpose just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 07:16 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,463,762 times
I worked for a local lumber yard that opened sometime around 1900 from 1978 to 2014. Reglazing windows was one service we offered and I can tell you that during the time I worked there, I fixed hundreds, if not thousands of windows. The person who taught me the technique had been building and repairing window sashes for them since the 1950s. We always used DAP and DAP 33.

The trick I learned was to always be sure you cleaned all of the old glazing material out of the sash. Most of our repairs involved new glass, so the next step was to place a thin bed of glazing all the way around the opening for the glass to set in. This provided a cushion for filling in uneven areas and helped keep the glass from moving around while you set the glaizer's points. The glazing compound was then forced around the sash frame and glass with a stiff putty knife and smoothed with that same knife. I was told that in earlier days, there was always a can of linseed oil and brush there to coat the wooden frames before glazing. That was no longer necessary with the DAP 33.

One thing that was nice with the DAP 33 not hardening quickly, it did not shrink up, crack, and pull away from the glass surfaces. Once it "skinned over" it was recommended that it be painted, with the paint going on to the glass a bit to seal everything from the weather.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:19 PM

14,374 posts, read 20,447,493 times
Well we did not have a chance to remove the excess paint around each of the 12 window panes until now. So the DAP has been there right near 2 weeks. When using the razor blade to remove the excess on the glass it pulled part of the paint off of the DAP. So since there are two more windows that may require DAP on all 24 panes the issue now is that paint does not adhere to it.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:26 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,463,762 times
Information about painting DAP, including a quote from DAP's Technical information.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/discuss...-can-you-paint

Old 08-23-2018, 06:03 PM

14,374 posts, read 20,447,493 times
We had poor luck with DAP. It would not stick to the wood. The point would not fit between glass and pane frame. The original was nice and straight and the compound made a nice triangular look.

It stuck to the putty knife and our fingers but not the wood. We fixed a few spots, replaced the storm window and will come back early next year and see if it is dry and able to be painted. Hard to believe that is the best technology has for glazing. White caulking may have worked better. Next time we'll wear rubber gloves.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:53 PM

4,532 posts, read 6,224,722 times
Try Aqua Glaze Acrylic Glazing Compound.....paint in 24 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House