Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 07:03 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,054,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Thanks. This helps. So the big box store brands are basically junk. Maybe ill check out a john deere store
WHOA!!!

I never said nor mentioned it but the big box Deere mower line is NOT junk. It simply is not built to last a long time like the Deere made tractors. Farmers ,and other long term land owners, need the robust expensive build of the "X' series that cost much more than the cheaper "L" series. In a long term situation the "X" IS cheaper, much cheaper, to own simply because the higher price for the "X" is spread over many more years than the "L" series.
t
Make a visit to your local John Deere store the see why the "x" cost more than the "L"series does then imagine using the "L" series long term. If you plan on moving many times then the "L" will be the better choice due to lack of need to spend $$$$$ to match ever changing mowing needs. If you plan on staying put it would be foolish not to buy anything less than the "X" series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 07:24 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,952,281 times
I saw one at Sears last year. Looked just like mine. I didn't know who made it for Sears then or now. Another poster on the previous page said they were and are made by AYP who also makes other brands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
To be fair......Sears sold the Craftsmen line and tools about 2-3 years ago. I doubt that they are the same quality as the older bullet proof Craftsmen sold in the past.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:06 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,251,821 times
Quote:
Ok so I've decided to purchase a riding lawnmower. My budget is $1600 max and I want an extended 3 year warranty on top of a 2/3 year manufacturers warranty. I think I can pull it off. I will also get 10% military discount off price of each mower. I have a quarter acre lot. Any suggestions? Want it to last 10 years

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-Bro...ely/1000368087

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cade...FYYUPwodMH0OIA

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-TB3...pable/50119601

https://www.homedepot.com/p/John-Dee...1068/303128797
None of these will last ten years without frequent repairs. I know this because I bought a Craftsman that is basically the same as the 42” Troy built you listed. Always rebuilding the deck, and that ain’t cheap! None of these mowers are built for the long haul. If you just have to have a rider,buy a good used John Deere with low hours. You will come out way ahead. Or buy a good used rear engine Snapper-not the new ones that are no where near the mower the older ones are.
What you really should buy is a Honda HRX mower.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:56 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,054,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
None of these will last ten years without frequent repairs. (snip.) If you just have to have a rider,buy a good used John Deere with low hours. You will come out way ahead.
We all know that a used mower will save money.......BUT.............the average Joe will not be a good judge of used mowers of any kind.

If there is such a thing as good used mower it will be found at your local John Deere dealer where they go over them before they resell them.

Ideally to save money buy a NEW John Deere "x300" ,or up, mow your yard and sleep well at night if you take reasonable care of it even if it's a strain to buy it at first. Last ya for years...........

Old 05-12-2018, 08:57 PM

1,066 posts, read 628,639 times
I have 1/2 acre almost, I own that cub cadet you have listed in first post, it was 1499, but I had military discount, got it for like 1300 OTD. Phenomenal mower, it turns on a dime, I love it. absolute joy. I would of bought the same model but fuel injected for 200 more, HOWEVER. because it isn't stocked in stores, 10% veteran discount wouldn't work, So I would of had to pay 1799 + shipping to the store or my house which was another 500.

so 1300 vs 1800sh. no thx Jose. hate how Home Depot works, Lowes is awesome in comparison, anyway this is year 2 of owning it and I absolutely love it. put a battery tender on it for winter to keep battery healthy, and sea foam in gas, keep from gas going bad.

I did a lot of research and cub cadet was the one to get, and double check your discount. My HD will NOT give military discount ontop of sale prices. They stingy, Lowes does everything lol. I use a Husqvarna awd800 to push around perimeter, takes few minutes along the fence, then use the riding and kill the rest of the yard. I just don't like taking mowers all way to the fence line and a few odd places it cant reach.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:17 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,000 times
Quote:
I'm stuck for 13 more years. Townhomes are too small. I also hate moving. Doesn't everyone? Besides the cost of moving again would be thousands and thousands
I like mowing lawns. But it is not everybody’s cup of tea.

I’m surprised the townhomes HOA does not contract out the grounds care needs

Old 05-13-2018, 03:44 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,115,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
I like mowing lawns. But it is not everybody’s cup of tea.

I’m surprised the townhomes HOA does not contract out the grounds care needs
In a house

Old 05-13-2018, 04:29 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,065,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Pushing or riding on a lawnmower is so yesterday. This is how we cut the lawn today.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Worx-7-i...FU1TDAodRiAH0g

This mower is the real deal. I have seen it in action and it's worth the money and the annoyance of setting it up.
OP - have you checked robot mowers like these?

Last edited by WoodburyWoody; 05-13-2018 at 04:52 AM..

Old 05-13-2018, 05:39 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,115,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
OP - have you checked robot mowers like these?
Nope.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:46 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,091,541 times
Sorry for having a little fun in the beginning of you post. I'm a 65 year old kid, that will never grow up.
With that said, given the size of your lawn, any one of the big box store tractors will suit your needs if your lawn is not too complicated. I myself use a lawn tractor on a not very large lawn for one simple reason. I like the way the lawn looks after cutting it. With the wide tires it floats over the grass unlike a push mower that leaves those awful looking ruts when you are done. Even by switching directions with each cutting, you still see them. So my recommendation is to find one you like, that fits your budget, then do the research on it. If it scores above average, buy it and never look back. Learn how to do the minor yearly maintenance, and you should be good for years. Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House