Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 03:02 PM

834 posts, read 744,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
re: We Should Just Move...Right? - Rude Neighbors, Small Lot

It sucks having lousy neighbors. There is no guarantee next time it will be better--or worse
I know.... that's what I'm afraid of.

I'm just hoping that if the homes are far apart we'll notice it less. We're really hoping to get into our old neighborhood which had a very strict HOA. No street parking at night, no renting out bedrooms, no wind chimes...etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 03:15 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
We have a family renting out the entire home next door on the other side, and they are wonderful.

I think the issue is that they have a 4 bedroom house with at least 5 unrelated adults and their friends, dates, etc. They petitioned to remove the, "No Parking," signs from in front of our houses, which have back driveways and are about 10 ft. from the curb - so typically we have several cars in front of all the houses and people in/out at all hours.

Throwing trash about, lit cigarettes, slamming doors, idling mufflerless trucks at 2 am, yelling and shouting, even fighting. If course the owners can't have these people in their driveway, because their garage is full.

No shame here for renters, but there is definitely some irritation that the SFH next door is now housing 4, "families," of loud and rude tenants they found on a CL posting.
Right there, HOA or not, is law enforcement stuff.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:26 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
To clarify our HOA documents state, "No Less Than the Whole Home May Be Rented Out." Then it wants names, addresses, specific terms and a lease copy.

The people next door have the owners living there, then 3 additional bedrooms with tenants in them.
Then this is a situation you can bring to the attention of the HOA, as they are in clear violation of the CC&Rs. You might also check to see if your municipal codes have similar restrictions. And as other posters have said, they're clearly violating your city's noise ordinances (and probably the drug laws as well, if someone over there is really shooting up heroin), so you've already got ample reasons to get the police involved even if they're not violating municipal codes.

But unfortunately getting these jerks to shape up will be a long, hard fight, and there's no guarantee you, the other neighbors, and the HOA will win it (at least not any time soon).

Good luck finding a suitable home in your old neighborhood!

Old 05-18-2018, 06:51 PM

797 posts, read 752,285 times
So nice area,nice houses except for these Pieces of ?
Moving should be a last resort.
Film the drug usage, take it to the news.
You can even send a "tip" to the DEA
https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/tips_online.htm If you think more than just usage is going on.

I wouldn't tolerate a bunch of Druggies ruining my new house and area.
If you wanna play dirty,you can lie about something that they did. After all,they are druggies.
But that's a little low and Karma is always lingering.

Then theres really dirty,
but no reason for that.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:19 PM

801 posts, read 452,433 times
I would look for another house if I could afford it.
Meanwhile I'd give them HELL!
I would:
  • report them constantly to the HOA, every single night, make the HOA want them out too so they can kick back and do nothing as usual
  • report them to the police, always mention the heroine usage, say you think it may be crack or meth too because you've seen glass pipes
  • play loud music when they are out there bothering you. Broadway Plays, for example. Something you like but the average mj smoker would not. (opera, braodway, spoken word (preferably religious) Point one of those outdoor loud speakers about 4 feet tall towards them
  • consider installing a light that just happens to be pointed at their hangout area so you can see them and shoot video to show the police
  • hook up a loudspeaker to your tv, connect it outside and point it at them LOUD
Before doing all of the above talk to all your neighbors and tell them about the heroine and/or meth usage and ask them to please bear with you while you give them hell for a week or two only (see if it works)

Of course this well may lead to a War and they might be more ruthless and do something even dangerous to you; but then you'd have law enforcement on your side, at least.

You could also send them a certified letter, COPIED TO THE POLICE DEPT. saying what you have seen and what you plan to do. That alone might make them calm down or take it inside - that along with the light allowing you to videotape them sounds like a good plan to me.

Much easier to move!

But if it were me I'd go with some of the above and just see what happens, if nothing else just to make them as miserable as you.

I had a downstairs neighbor in my apartment who would have loud parties til 2am on weeknights, bounce a basketball against our common wall and other rude things.

After complaining to him personally and nicely several times I gave up and just called the police every time. I also complained to the manager. The manager liked me as I was a great tenant for many years.
I assume she spoke to him and the Management Company about it.

Soon he was out. I was lucky I guess.

I wish you the best of luck. Rude inconsiderate noisy people are a plague upon the planet. Too bad star trek like weapons you could set to "vaporize" don't exist. (Or at least to "stun"!)

Old 05-18-2018, 08:32 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,339 times
Quote:
I know.... that's what I'm afraid of.

I'm just hoping that if the homes are far apart we'll notice it less. We're really hoping to get into our old neighborhood which had a very strict HOA. No street parking at night, no renting out bedrooms, no wind chimes...etc.
Sounds like paradise.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:17 PM

510 posts, read 370,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
No ma’am. We would not be paying a higher interest rate and putting ourselves in a financial bind because of some weed heads. HOA, police, noise... on a consistent rotation... you have to fight back. That rental situation can’t be legal, report it. You need to go to war for your home!

I just read the stinkie liquid suggestion. That would be perfect. Make the neighbors think it’s coming from a skunk or something. It’s time for some devious suggestions to take back your peace of mind!

SN: This is exactly why I don’t want that mess to become legal here in IL.

There are many restrictions on weed users where it is legal. For example, a limit of 12 plants per household means that 1 weed user can have 12 plants, 2 weed users can have 12 plants shared (6 each), 3 users each gets 4 plants, 4 users living together each get 3 plants. Some cops also arrest cannabis users for driving when they are not impaired. How would you like to be arrested for something you didn't do?

Weed legalization also does not do away with other laws such as noise ordinance.

No matter what the laws, no number of police can prevent all violations. The police mostly react to crime, rather than prevent it. For police to prevent all crimes, they would have to know what everyone was thinking at any given moment, including people they've never seen before.

While it is technically illegal to smoke weed outdoors, it is technically illegal to smoke tobacco outdoors and they might not be fined, either. Some cities in CO have hiking trails and what I've read are these are used as semi-private places to smoke (weed outdoors). In Seattle, police have been tolerating outdoor use of cannabis since the '70s. Cops know most people wanted cannabis legal, and often people find themselves many miles from home.

Cannabis kills 0 when smoked or vaped, vaping has less smell. Vape outside, smoke inside designated hot-boxes. But lawmakers don't understand that laws for cannabis and tobacco should be different, as not all smoke is fatal. Cannabis helps about 65 conditions smoked and hundreds of conditions when vaping oil.
Many reduce use or quit harmful drugs like alcohol or tobacco if they start using cannabis. Fed study 2/15 says cannabis not a significant cause of fatal crashes and explains why others got it wrong. Best wishes.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:45 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Wow. I wish my HOA would have done that when we were having issues with our neighbors.

Me too. When it couldn't be determined which condo the loud bass was coming from they just gave up after one email to everyone in that building and told me to call the police if it was during "quiet" time.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:57 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
Next time I want the biggest lot I can find. People are too crazy.

Thanks...yeah it's making is paranoid I think.
Most new house developments have what I call "trailer" lots. They are narrow and deep. The houses are just 5 feet from the lot lines.

A development like that is prone to many noise complaints. Also, most people have dogs. Dogs living that close will be perpetually be barking at each other.

As for me, I have a half acre lot and good spacing between homes, about 40 feet. Now, although we're retired and the house is way too big, we're staying put.

Good fences and large lots with generous spacing make good neighbors.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:52 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Maybe ditch the HOAs and move a bit further out where you can get a little land? We lived elbow to elbow with neighbors. We had a couple "bad" neighbors but luckily we only had to deal with them a few times. We did have to get used to hearing the neighbors loud truck drive in and out at all hours (never did figure out what he did and he was a racist jerk and refused to speak to us).

Anyways now we live backed up to woods and way more space. Soooooo nice. And worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House