Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 10:40 AM

341 posts, read 292,838 times

Advertisements

Having had my share of bad neighbors in both homes and condos/townhomes, I have learned don't just fall in the love the second you walk into a place because you like the upgrades or good vibe. You have to think carefully about the location of the place you are looking at relative to potential problems (i.e. neighbors). If you don't want to risk those problems, or at least minimize the impact if you are unfortunate enough to have bad neighbors or you are stuck buying a home in a neighborhood with homes packed in on tiny lots, look at homes on corner lots, or think about where the bedrooms are located if the home is between two other homes or even worse in between two homes and backing to more homes. If they face a balcony or someone's back yard you risk losing sleep over people partying late into the night.

Even if you don't have partying neighbors, otherwise "nice" people with dogs can turn into mean nasty people if you dare to complain about them leaving their dogs outside to bark all night. If you call the city or file a complaint, they will know it was you and can retaliate. Unfortunately some people with dogs feel self entitled and that if they want to bark all night you'll just have to deal with it, and now that animals can be considered "comfort" or "therapy" animals maybe your neighbor will sue you if you complain and maybe they will win.

Unfortunately I think most people just assume they won't have bad neighbors anywhere they go, so they don't think about these things. But that's just not reality, any time you move to a new place there is a statistical possibility that you will have at least one bad neighbor. Is it 1 in 4, or 1 in 5? Who knows. But facts are even in nice neighborhoods bad neighbors can still be found.

If you can't afford to make a mistake (ie buy a place and move again if you hate it), then sometimes it's better to maybe get the house that doesn't have all the upgrades but maybe has a better location that offers more privacy or distance from neighbor property so if you do get a loud or obnoxious neighbor you may not even hear or see them and then who knows maybe you'll end up being friends lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 12:02 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,278,419 times
Before I knew Hubby, he told me when he was living in student housing, there was a group that partied all night long. So, one day at 7:30 in the morning when the partiers were trying to sleep, he faced his speakers out the window and played the 1812 Overture at full blast. He wasn't disturbed again.

Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

Cat

Old 05-20-2018, 12:31 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
If the neighbors are talking and laughing at a normal conversation level, then it is not considered excessive noise and would be permitted under noise ordinances, and under HOA guidelines in Colorado. This is why when you call the police they cannot do anything to help you. It is not their fault the lots are so small that they are right outside your windows.

If your windows are closed tight, and the house meets current construction standards, you would not be able to hear your neighbors, especially when you are running white noise machines.

If on the other hand, you leave your windows open for the cooler night air, then that is another story, you will hear people talking right outside your home. It is the fact, that people are put in a position that there is no way you will not hear them. If this is the fact, then you need to close up your home and block them out.

And it is not against the law, for people to be on their patio at night and to be talking at a normal conversation level and to cough. And in doing so, they are not breaking any laws. If you keep calling the police trying to force them to move inside, they can file charges against you, for harassing them.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:58 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,156,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Sounds like paradise.
Ha! You laugh! You obviously have never been terrorized by out-of-control, delinquent wind chimes!

It's horrid! Just horrid.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:12 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,313,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
If the neighbors are talking and laughing at a normal conversation level, then it is not considered excessive noise and would be permitted under noise ordinances, and under HOA guidelines in Colorado. This is why when you call the police they cannot do anything to help you. It is not their fault the lots are so small that they are right outside your windows.

If your windows are closed tight, and the house meets current construction standards, you would not be able to hear your neighbors, especially when you are running white noise machines.

If on the other hand, you leave your windows open for the cooler night air, then that is another story, you will hear people talking right outside your home. It is the fact, that people are put in a position that there is no way you will not hear them. If this is the fact, then you need to close up your home and block them out.

And it is not against the law, for people to be on their patio at night and to be talking at a normal conversation level and to cough. And in doing so, they are not breaking any laws. If you keep calling the police trying to force them to move inside, they can file charges against you, for harassing them.
With cannabis now legal in Colorado, I'll bet people will have more outside parties on their decks in the evenings to partake.

That makes a large lot even more attractive.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:01 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
For peace and quiet, plus great view of the Rocky Mountains is one reason we have a 5 acre lot, located in the county across a county road from the best part of the town. Closest house is about 350 feet or more. Never hear any sounds from the other houses, except when mowing lawns, or etc. and then they are not very loud.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
We have a lot of rabid skunks and it smells terrible some early mornings...they're still out there.

60 mph wind gusts, hail, lighting, you name it.

I love all these ideas of standing our ground, but I don't think I can mentally do it. It's too stressful wondering every night at bedtime what exactly they are going to do.

Thank you all! I'm hoping we can list it ASAP and forget all about it. The poor people on the other side of them are expecting their first baby in a month.

If you have a lot of rabid skunks you've got much bigger problems than loud neighbors. A skunk stinking doesn't mean they're rabid, it means they feel threatened (maybe by your loud neighbors).

Old 05-21-2018, 12:11 AM

307 posts, read 224,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
We bought our current home in October. It's a new build in a suburban area. Unfortunately, the homes are close together and built in the style with the rear garage and tiny yard in front. We're directly across from a school, most of the neighborhood is very nice and quiet. We have blinds, black out curtains, noise machines, and loud air filters.

Our neighbors are a couple who appear to be renting out each of their spare bedrooms. They don't have blinds or curtains and leave the lights on all night.

They sit outside on their front patio and cough, talk, laugh, etc. from 10:00 pm onwards. 4 am, 2 am. We can all (my husband and our two young children) hear every word in each bedroom all night. We're all becoming sleep deprived... sometimes the coughing fits last 3+ hours while they smoke marijuana.

I was told that it was their lifestyle and schedule. That they need to be outside until 3 or 4 smoking MJ and talking as much as we need quiet at night. I can go on and on about all the crazy stuff they do and have said. My husband called security and reported it to the HOA.

I just can't see this getting better. I have the whole house packed and we're going to list in a week....but part of me thinks that this is just crazy for us to have to leave our home so that a house full of inconsiderate hippies can have their way. But, the lack of sleep is draining all of us, the kids are afraid/not sleeping well, etc.

There's nothing more we can do....we should just move...right?
I would start by checking on the ordinances for noise control (we still have laws, it's a matter of enforcement). We came from a useless HOA board. New neighbors moved next to us and their animals began destroying our land (their cats and dogs). They felt entitled. I was angrier and angrier but reported them to the police a couple of times since the board (I had been on it years ago) became useless. We got tired of people acting against our covenants and decided to move away to be with family. In two months, I'm at a normal weight due to less stress. Lets just say for my health and need of family and friends, we got out.

Cannibus remains illegal unless you're in CO. Report that to the police and ask your names not be included.
We lived in a poorer neighborhood in NYS for ten years and saw the illegal activities, ordinances being ignored, and the police did come in quietly and observed the activity. They caught the kids and families over time.

I feel empathy for you and wish you the best of luck in a tough situation. No, you're not crazy. We just did it. I felt the impact of entitled neighbors whose lack of following the law/ordinances/restrictive agreements with their animals and other insanities put us in danger due to their idiotic sense of entitlement and constant trespassing. Get out but do your research on where you're going to land. If you're in an HOA, read the rules, talk to neighbors and LOOK FOR MINUTES or you'll be in another bad situation.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:06 AM

64 posts, read 79,356 times
Welcome to the Democrats ideal world for all of us. Crammed together in major cities to reduce our carbon footprint. Yet no laws to allow us to live together in sanity. Dog owners with barkers are the worst, your neighbors and people like them just as bad. ill alter my lifestyle to just be a great neighbor. But the US is now selfish nation.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:29 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,708,594 times
Perhaps you can erect a privacy fence or maybe even a large concrete wall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House