Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 08:56 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
Ha, this made me lol. I'm wondering if they can even smell though...
Yeah, I forgot. Depending on the type they smoke, they may not even notice a difference!

What a mess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 09:09 PM

834 posts, read 744,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Yeah, I forgot. Depending on the type they smoke, they may not even notice a difference!

What a mess...
We have a lot of rabid skunks and it smells terrible some early mornings...they're still out there.

60 mph wind gusts, hail, lighting, you name it.

I love all these ideas of standing our ground, but I don't think I can mentally do it. It's too stressful wondering every night at bedtime what exactly they are going to do.

Thank you all! I'm hoping we can list it ASAP and forget all about it. The poor people on the other side of them are expecting their first baby in a month.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:14 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
My husband filed a complaint and we've talked to them.

We have had security & not emergency dispatch come and ask them to be quiet.

In CO, so legal, but not in Denver. It's not supposed to be in public view and HOA says not outside in front of house. They have other drug paraphernalia too...one of their boyfriends was shooting up heroin at 5 pm directly in front of our front door, while the kids played.
Is your HOA aware of the 1,000 ft Drug Free School Zone law here in Colorado?

Quote:
We're in CO. Only medicinal is legal in our city, or at least sold, but they have allergies so evidently can't smoke it inside.
No, no, no ... that’s not how that works. If you are allergic to something you don’t ingest it.

Quote:
We had just called non emergency dispatch. The police are really busy here...one night they caught our dormant grass on fire and I couldn't get ahold of anyone.
You will have to call 911 & report drug activity, right when it’s happening. Mention your proximity to the school. Be the squeaky wheel.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:17 AM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Play some Rap.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:29 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
How many tenants do they have? I would check the local zoning ordinances. It sounds like they are probably in violation. Most communities have a limit to how many people who are not actual family members can share a house. I normally despise regulations like that, but your situation is a perfect example of why they exist.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:04 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,471,558 times
Can’t the other neighbors join forces with you? If a bunch of you are calling police to report violations something might be done.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:08 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times
""This is exactly why I don’t want that mess to become legal here in IL". this situation has nothing to do with the product they are consuming, it is about the offensive neighbors.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-17-2018, 05:47 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
We had just called non emergency dispatch. The police are really busy here...one night they caught our dormant grass on fire and I couldn't get ahold of anyone.

We all closed on the new homes within weeks. We didn't hear anything the first few months, then they had people in and out and then new tenants in their basement/rooms.

The rest of the neighborhood is actually really quiet/nice. Other neighbors have complained too.

We've talked a bit. Today they told me that they have a lifestyle and they need to be outside in their balcony until 3-4 am. That's when I realized it was helpless.

One of their tenants said, "I'm 21 and have a full time job as a restaurant manager, honey!" Bahaha...she was so proud. Anyways, that was her excuse for needing to have her friends over to giggle for hours outside.
Does your HOA allow people to rent out rooms? That might be a good place to start. Are these people renters or does one of them own the house? Seems to me the HOA or the police should be doing something about noise after 10 or 11 p.m. Your HOA is not being very effective. I've never lived in any city that didn't have noise ordinances. I would continue to call the police and mention to them about the IV drug use, even if you do that anonymously. I know it's frustrating and you shouldn't have to be the one to move because of neighbors being inconsiderate.

I would look through your HOA rules with a fine tooth comb to see what rules these neighbors are violating, maybe even get a consultation with a lawyer.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:06 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,364 times
Quote:
We bought our current home in October. It's a new build in a suburban area. Unfortunately, the homes are close together and built in the style with the rear garage and tiny yard in front. We're directly across from a school, most of the neighborhood is very nice and quiet. We have blinds, black out curtains, noise machines, and loud air filters.

I also bought my home in October. If you're miserable, bite the bullet and get out. Life is way too short.

A house is an emotional investment, as well as a financial one. Get out before you invest any more of your heart in this place.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:26 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
We bought our current home in October. It's a new build in a suburban area. Unfortunately, the homes are close together and built in the style with the rear garage and tiny yard in front. We're directly across from a school, most of the neighborhood is very nice and quiet. We have blinds, black out curtains, noise machines, and loud air filters.

Our neighbors are a couple who appear to be renting out each of their spare bedrooms. They don't have blinds or curtains and leave the lights on all night.

They sit outside on their front patio and cough, talk, laugh, etc. from 10:00 pm onwards. 4 am, 2 am. We can all (my husband and our two young children) hear every word in each bedroom all night. We're all becoming sleep deprived... sometimes the coughing fits last 3+ hours while they smoke marijuana.

I was told that it was their lifestyle and schedule. That they need to be outside until 3 or 4 smoking MJ and talking as much as we need quiet at night. I can go on and on about all the crazy stuff they do and have said. My husband called security and reported it to the HOA.

I just can't see this getting better. I have the whole house packed and we're going to list in a week....but part of me thinks that this is just crazy for us to have to leave our home so that a house full of inconsiderate hippies can have their way. But, the lack of sleep is draining all of us, the kids are afraid/not sleeping well, etc.

There's nothing more we can do....we should just move...right?
I'm sorry to say that moving may be the best choice for you. The other choice is to learn to live with it, or to enter a war with them (which would be a nightmare).

I'm pretty understanding of neighbors and weird things they do or don't do. C'est la vie. But I would have a problem with what you describe, because it's their way of life, and they don't care about their neighbors. I guess they're smoking outside because the owner won't let them smoke inside. If it were just an occasional party on weekends, I could deal with it. But what you describe...I wouldn't be able to deal with that.

I hope you can sell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House