Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 05:07 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
Btw, thanks everyone.

I was starting to think I was crazy. This will be house #4 in less than 5 years if we buy again. The first we sold gets their were gangs/shootings and it was tiny, the second was for my husband's job but well liked, and this will be for crazy neighbors. Just praying the next one will be somewhere we stay for a few years. I feel so bad for my kids to move them again, but they're suffering from the crazy neighbors too.

I would suggest that the next house you consider purchasing gets a thorough drive-by at all different times of day, night and weekends to make sure you aren't jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Maybe buy a house with a little more property? I understand the frustration as I lived in a condo before I bought my house and I had neighbors who had the bass on the TV or stereo turned up and it was driving me to having panic attacks. Fortunately they moved after about 6 months. It's really a shame how crappy neighbors can ruin people's quiet enjoyment of their home.

Make sure to mention this situation with this HOA/development on Yelp. BTW are you required by law in your state to mention the neighbor situation to any prospective buyers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 06:01 AM

6,559 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They may not handle neighbor disputes but many will get involved for bad behavior (for lack of a better term). Most will have noise regs embodied in the documents and many will have some strictures on renting rooms.

Local government will also likely have noise ordinances as well as public nuisance laws, which playing music and yelling at 2AM would be. There may also be some livability code and/or licensing for renting. Renting out bedrooms might trigger some boarding house ordinances.

I'll agree that a lot of the above flies under the radar 99% of the time. That is until it creates problems.

Both HOAs I deal with here as a government liaison (townhouses, one development is basically starter units while the other is higher scale) have gone after and fined landlords for their tenants having law enforcement called so often for problems at the residence (as well as legal charges by police against the tenants). What has happened in nearly every case is that the landlords have evicted the tenants for lease violations.
Wow. I wish my HOA would have done that when we were having issues with our neighbors.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:47 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
OMG, HULA HOOPS! Well obviously these are the dregs of humanity!

Old 05-18-2018, 07:02 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
Also, say your front porch was across from a school, in between two families with infants, and next to two ranch style homes with bedrooms less then 10 feet away - would you personally sit outside from 10-3 pm on a Tuesday and giggle and squeal like little school girls for hours while smoking?

Sometimes my husband and I look at the stars and talk, but we know our patio borders a master bedroom, so we're always courteous. Even as a drunk teen my friends and I would talk in more hushed voices on the deck late at night.

Our old neighbors had golf meeting dinners weekly, next to our master bedroom on a main floor, but they were older adults and didn't giggle endlessly or shout at all hours. This is definitely an issue with common courtesy...they said it's they're lifestyle among other things in text.

All I ask is that they follow the HOA by-laws. 10-7 quiet time.

*am
If you are in a school zone, you need to call the police when it happens. Every time. Even if it is not quiet hours. Most schools have drug-free zones and if you are not in an area where it is legal to smoke marijuana outside, I don’t see why it would be ok in a school zone.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:58 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,313 times
Time to move...as in yesterday.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:10 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Play some Rap.
It sounds like the OP lives next door to Snoop Dog, so I'm not sure rap will work.

I'd go for the hard-core bluegrass in this situation. It's hard to mellow out with a lid when the neighbor has Earl Scruggs pickin' out Foggy Mountain Breakdown cranked to 11.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:19 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
I owned a very nice townhome for several years. After years of peace, I guess one of the owners decided to rent their unit a few doors down to a bunch of teenagers, or early twenty somethings. When I'd walk my dog by their house, they certainly looked like kids, and all I would get was stone cold stairs, even after I said a polite hello. This happened several times.

They too would be up all hours drinking, smoking, and playing music. Fortunately, they were far enough away where it wasn't too much a bother. I am sure their next door neighbors were livid. However, I saw the handwriting on the wall. If this could happen a few doors down, it could happen right next to me. Fate intervened, and I got a new job, about seventy miles away, and didn't want that kind of commute, so I sold and bought a single family home with an acre and a half around me.

So the safest bet is to move, but that is not really "fair", but life isn't. However, those testimonials for that a$$ spray were funny as HELL!!!

Old 05-18-2018, 08:19 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,015,533 times
just sell and go, fighting fire with fire is just a dumb idea.

Also, what would one expect from an HOA or the police to do about the smoking pot? Smoking pot is not even criminal in most areas in the US.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:37 AM

4 posts, read 2,517 times
I need absolute quiet to sleep. I have a floor fan-cost $20- and it works to drown out any noise at night.
It can get to be a habit to have this at night though, so no electricity means no fan.
In winter, I just aim it at the wall to prevent any cool air coming my way.
Works for me.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:22 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
Have you contacted the authorities yet? After a certain time, 10pm or 11pm, they can be cited for disturbing the peace etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House