Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 09:52 PM

389 posts, read 591,158 times

Advertisements

Post-Harvey, I'm planning on having new engineered hardwood flooring installed on the main level of my house. My house is located right off the bayou, and on is pier and beam. There is a slab under my house, but there is pier and beam above that and a plywood subfloor on all the living levels.

My contractor typically does engineered hardwoods that feature a snap and click technology, in a floating installation. He also recommends a premium underlayment, underneath the flooring. Both the floor and underlayment would be purchased from Floor & Decor.

I've spoken with many neighbors, and the majority of them are going back with engineered hardwoods, due to the plywood subfloor (as opposed to installing backerboard and then tile). The majority of the neighbors that I spoke with are nailing or stapling their hardwoods directly to the subfloor.

But I spoke with one neighbor that I believe had hers glued down. She called her flooring guy (I believe she subcontracted everything out) and had him on speakerphone. She asked what kind of installation he recommends, and he said he would glue them down. He said that a floating installation is not permanent, and would sound clunky like a laminate. His entire business is all flooring, so I have no doubt that he's an expert.

But my contractor is also an expert and someone that I really trust. He says that floating floors are quieter if a premium grade underlayment is installed. He also sold me on the idea of having a softer floor. Since my house is on pier and beam, the subfloor is somewhat hollow. I would like to have it sound quieter. But the flooring guy that my neighbor connected me with claims that glued floors are quieter.

Also, my friend that has houses with both (although hers are both on slab) told me that her floating floors are squeaky and she prefers having them glued down.

Is there a right or wrong way? I trust my contractor and am most likely to go with what he recommends. I would like a floor that is quiet and soft. My contractor says that floating floors are less labor intensive, therefore cheaper and easier to install. Perhaps the flooring expert just wants to make more money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 06:43 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,464,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
I'm planning on having new engineered hardwood flooring installed
First... decide which you want: actual wood or some laminate stuff.

Quote:
Is there a right or wrong way?
Not using actual real wood.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:55 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,161,362 times
Since you have a plywood subfloor, you should consider just spending a bit more and going with traditional tongue and groove oak, nailed down to the subfloor, and finished in place. The cost difference might not be that great, and the durability and appearance is superior to all the other alternatives.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Since you have a plywood subfloor, you should consider just spending a bit more and going with traditional tongue and groove oak, nailed down to the subfloor, and finished in place. The cost difference might not be that great, and the durability and appearance is superior to all the other alternatives.
The floor that I like is a handscraped floor that is 5 inches thick. I'm not sure if you can get something like that unfinished and put a finish on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
First... decide which you want: actual wood or some laminate stuff.
Like I said, I want engineered hardwoods. Not laminate.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:15 PM

17,404 posts, read 65,552,552 times
"Schools of thought on hardwood flooring installation"

Just one- "Do it Right the First Time!"

Old 05-18-2018, 12:32 PM

8,073 posts, read 9,990,476 times
Quote:
The floor that I like is a handscraped floor that is 5 inches thick.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
The floor that I like is a handscraped floor that is 5 inches thick. I'm not sure if you can get something like that unfinished and put a finish on it.
Well, you're certainly going to have to cut all your doors.

And, yes, of course you can buy tongue and groove flooring, nail it down, batter it with an adze (oh, excuse me, "handscrape" it) and then finish it.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:41 PM

By the way, doesn't the production rate of this "engineered hardwood" (= fancy plywood), hundreds of thousands of board-feet per year, kind of make it impossible for it to be "handscraped"? How many thousands of people would they have to have, "handscraping" the stuff?

No, they have a giant milling machine that instead of giving it a smooth level surface, gives it an irregular surface. I will bet you all the (real) hardwood flooring in my house that the only hand work in the whole process is when the fork truck driver scans the bar codes on the pallets of the stuff.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"Schools of thought on hardwood flooring installation"

Just one- "Do it Right the First Time!"
And does that involve floating it, gluing it, stapling it, or nailing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I meant 5 inches in width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
By the way, doesn't the production rate of this "engineered hardwood" (= fancy plywood), hundreds of thousands of board-feet per year, kind of make it impossible for it to be "handscraped"? How many thousands of people would they have to have, "handscraping" the stuff?

No, they have a giant milling machine that instead of giving it a smooth level surface, gives it an irregular surface. I will bet you all the (real) hardwood flooring in my house that the only hand work in the whole process is when the fork truck driver scans the bar codes on the pallets of the stuff.
I'm aware that "handscraped" wood isn't actually scraped by hand. My contractor and I had this exact same conversation. But regardless, I like the look and feel of handscraped woods and prefer them over smooth hardwoods.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:46 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,464,944 times
Quote:
Like I said, I want engineered hardwoods. Not laminate.
Do some more shopping: http://theflooringmill.com/options.asp

These "engineered hardwoods" you speak of are a sales term for a type of laminate.
Hardwood flooring has no additives. No layers. Just the wood.
There's no substitute.
Attached Thumbnails
Schools of thought on hardwood flooring installation-engineered-hardwood.jpg  

Last edited by MrRational; 05-18-2018 at 01:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House