Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 03:35 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm going to leave in a little while and go down to our Farmer's Market. There will be scores of dogs there walking on asphalt that was 128 degrees at 2 o'clock. There will be at least three fights between dogs, we will have three Beach Attendants detailed to do nothing but pick up the dog crap on the street, sidewalk and Boardwalk, including the Sunrise Park I linked earlier.

So lets do the math:
3 Attendants X $11/hour X 4 hours equals $132 just to pick up after people's dogs for a four hour event. That doesn't include the trash disposal cost.
I'm not sure what this has to do with the topic of the thread, but I'll respond. The organizers of the Farmers Market must have decided that allowing dogs brings in enough extra business that it covers the cost of the attendants. Frankly, it's shocking to me that THAT many people would leave their dog's poop on the ground at a crowded event like a Farmers Market (or anywhere for that matter) that it takes THREE people to do clean-up. But I guess nothing should shock me anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 03:47 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,023 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
I got 2 "no peeing, be respectful" signs and 1 "24 video surveillance" sign for front yard near walk. If that doesn't do it ill have to go to more aggressive options
Your sign sounds too nice. I would put the more crazy ones up I described and I love you have a camera, unless that was only a sign. If you do get real camera: I hope you can recognize them and then go to their door or police if illegal where you live and say enough is enough. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:54 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I'm not sure what this has to do with the topic of the thread, but I'll respond. The organizers of the Farmers Market must have decided that allowing dogs brings in enough extra business that it covers the cost of the attendants. Frankly, it's shocking to me that THAT many people would leave their dog's poop on the ground at a crowded event like a Farmers Market (or anywhere for that matter) that it takes THREE people to do clean-up. But I guess nothing should shock me anymore.
Actually I'm one of the organizers. The Town makes zero on the Market as we charge no fees to the farmers MD Department of Agriculture requirement) nor do we charge the visitors for entry or parking.

The Health Department has threatened several times to shut it down because of the dogs but, as yet, has not.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:58 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually I'm one of the organizers. The Town makes zero on the Market as we charge no fees to the farmers MD Department of Agriculture requirement) nor do we charge the visitors for entry or parking.

The Health Department has threatened several times to shut it down because of the dogs but, as yet, has not.
In that case, are you allowed to ban dogs?

Old 05-25-2018, 04:07 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,812 times
Quote:
Serious question for those complaining about dogs peeing on their grass: What do you propose as a workable solution?

Should people who live in subdivisions never take their dogs for a walk, or never own dogs at all?

If I am on a walk with my dog and she needs to pee, should I just carry her home in my arms so she can't pee in someone's yard? Or in the case of a larger dog, drag it home by its leash (this is a choking hazard of course, if the dog resists due to its need to urinate, but I suppose that is not your concern).

Would it be acceptable to you if I carry water to pour on the pee spot?

Even if my dog pees and/or poops before our walk she may still need to do so again.

I get that it is your yard, and if you don't personally own a dog, I can see how it *might* make sense to you that no dog should ever use your yard as its toilet. But unless you advocate a world with no dogs, I don't see that as a realistic expectation. It is the outdoors. Outdoors is filled with animals that pee and poop. Is your grass REALLY the most important thing in the scheme of nature?
The workable solution is for you to move where you can have a yard, or lots of acreage, so your dog can pee and poop to her heart’s content on your own property. The other workable solution is for you to be a better dog owner and get creative on ways to train your dog to go in certain spots, like at a dog park or a back alley. I don’t know what else to tell you. I’m not the one who owns a dog so I don’t need to know this.

And my property is more important than your dog or anybody else’s dog for that matter. I’m paying for my property and to keep it beautiful and well-maintained. You’re not. Owning a dog is a choice. Where you live is a choice. Where you choose to walk your dog and how you control that walk is a choice.

I do not have to accept the choices you made when it comes to my property boundaries. I don’t allow kids to run on my grass or driveway, why would I allow some strange dog - that could or could not be well taken care of and vaccinated - to do whatever it wants? And regardless of that, I’m allergic to them! Should I put my own personal health at risk to accommodate some stranger and their untrained pet?

You’re right. I can’t fully control little wild animals and birds if they like my yard. I actually love and welcome birds and have bird seeds out for them. I’m fine with squirrels so long as they do their foraging and remember their home is in the trees and not my attic. Neither do anything to my grass nor my flowers and bushes.

I’ll say it over and over again, too many people own pets when they really should not. If you can’t control it and give it the environment it deserves, you shouldn’t own it.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:43 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
They don’t allow dogs at our local farmer’s markets, and cite a California health code on the sign... so I don’t know the rules where they live, but any “business” or event is free to restrict all but service animals. Of course some folks still bring them, and/or fake it being a service dog, but for the most part it’s respected. I don’t bring mine to events like that!

Old 05-25-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
AH HA! But its ok for dogs to **** and **** all over a residential property without consent of an owner?
No, and not once have I said it is. I’ve only argued that sometimes it happens unintentionally, if your yard is up against the sidewalk (and not fenced). I have also questioned what is public vs private grass, again in the situations where the lines aren’t clear. Where did I ever say it was okay to just LET them go on someone’s private property? I don’t let my dog do that, so your attitude is misdirected here.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
Big assumption here that only non dog owners hate when dogs use their yard as a toilet. I think people should not have dogs if they don't have their OWN yard for the pee and etc. America is obsessed w putting animals before humans. It only means you have social issues w people if you like animal more than people and that is plenty of you. It doesn't bother me a great deal. I see it and it is a little dirty - creepy. But I blow it off. Think of it for a mere second. But the person I live w sees dogs do it in other's yard (this was in LA, CA not where I am now) and he made a huge deal out of it. And this was not even his yard. He just thought owners possessed a very entitled and dismissive attitude.
There is nothing wrong with owning a dog if you don’t have a yard, as many/most city dwellers do... I lived in apartments for 6+ years with my dog (now in a duplex), and we both managed fine with our daily walks. In that situation, “your” yard can be the complex’s grass, since as a tenant you are helping to maintain it through rent & pet deposits/rent. And since most apartments are surrounded by other multi-family dwellings, you aren’t technically going into private yards if you walk past/through them either. And at least where I live, we have tons of neighborhood parks that can break up the monotony of walking them around your streets.

Not disagreeing with your points on being respectful, just saying that having a private yard isn’t necessary to keep a dog happy and healthy! It’s only the LAZY owners who shouldn’t do that, since it does require taking them on multiple walks daily. That is actually one of the reasons I got a dog, as I needed to be more active, and figured that would be good incentive... it worked, considering I lost 50lbs within the first year after adopting him.

P.S. Breed and temperament of the dog matter too, as some are better suited for apartment living than others. Size is less important, despite popular belief, and some large breeds (like Greyhounds and St. Bernards) are actually the best for apartments.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-25-2018 at 05:44 PM..

Old 05-25-2018, 05:01 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Yes. But the Mayor and my colleagues on Town Council lack the balls to do so (although, damn, we gotta make that 85 year old woman paint the window trim on the second floor of her house).

Old 05-25-2018, 05:29 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Most dogs do not get very much exercise in a back yard. Especially by themselves. Ideally they would still be walked. Growing up we had two large dogs that did play and run in the backyard, but they were also still walked, and loved every minute of it. Dogs are meant to 'travel' and it's good boding and training time with owners.

As I have said, in residential neighborhoods, there is nowhere else for them to 'go'. I took my dogs to a park, but we had to walk past many yards to get there.

That said in general, that I can't avoid all lawns, I do avoid at my condo complex the lady who hates dogs out of courtesy even though 'her' grass is community property, so I would respect a lawn with signs on it. Cross the street or whatever to be polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House