Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 586 times

Advertisements

I had white water mold when I opened my pool april30,2018. Local pool company had me use sodium bromide. The its night I did 6 lbs followed by 12 gallons of chlorine, the next morning 4 gallons of chlorine. I did this for 3 days. Went back to the pool store water was cloudy and no free chlorine. When tested they had me do the same process for 2 more days. That was a total of 10 lbs of sodium bromide for a 27,000 gallon pool. It is not almost thirty days later and I have no total or free chlorine the reading said-5.0 of combined. I had partially drained the pool as well. The water is crystal clear but I still can't keep free chlorine. I am so frustrated and I don't know what to do. Do I know have a bromide pool? Is this the reason I see no free chlorine and if so what do I do. I drained it half way and refilled. I have used get this 100 gallons of liquid chlorine and many pounds of powder. I have spent at least 800 dollars on all these chemicals plus phos away etc. please help. Thanks

Last edited by Assalor; 05-29-2018 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: By the way this was99 percent sodium bromide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 07:43 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,073,729 times
I would drain it completely and switch it over to saltwater. Much, much cheaper and better for the environment.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:51 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,309,055 times
Do you have stabilizer? https://www.swimuniversity.com/pool-stabilizer/

You might want to take a sample to another company or get a pool company come out and get your pool in balance.

Stop draining your water. You can get the existing water in balance with the proper help. Find a reputable pool cleaning/service company to come out and check all your levels of chemicals.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:35 AM

135 posts, read 565,262 times
I'll refer you to troublefreepool.com. First step in getting control of your pool is to get your own test kit that's capable of measuring stabilizer (CYA) and FAS-DPD. Typically either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF100 test kit. Either way visit troublefreepool and I guarantee if you follow the steps outlined there you will truly control your pool. GL

Old 05-30-2018, 12:35 PM

23,541 posts, read 69,986,238 times
Switching to salt is a long term resolution. Short term, if you are having that much of a problem, hire a pool guy to get things into condition and keep it stable. Unless changing modalities from Chlorine or bromine to salt, draining the pool is exactly what you DON'T want to do. Pool water is a soup of chemicals. Throw that water out and you just have to remake the soup.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:22 AM

135 posts, read 565,262 times
Salt is only another method of chlorination. It is not something I would call a long term resolution outside of the fact that you generally don't get the higher stabilizer levels that plague many people. In general your pool water should not be a "soup" of chemicals. The only things that should exist as permanent fixtures of "chemicals" inside your pool are CYA (Stabilizer), chlorine, calcium, and salt if being added either manually or through additions of liquid chlorine. It may very well be necessary to drain if your stabilizer levels are too high. This is the only way to remove the stabilizer and get to a point where you can manage the chlorine level to a point to kill the algae in your pool.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:01 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,117,390 times
My understanding is that white water mold is a biofilm, so you have to mechanically clean the pool and add a LOT of chlorine to kill it. If your free chlorine keeps going to zero, something's destroying it, either UV (from not enough stabilizer) or algae and fungi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House