Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 10:59 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times

Advertisements

I've been seeing this often enough to wonder about it: house numbers written in words. For example: "Twenty-four Nineteen", instead of "2419". House numbers with a zero in them even have "O" (letter) or "Oh", or even a "0" (zero), such as "Three Oh Nine" for "309". At times, the words are written in cursive or a hard-to-read font like Old English, as opposed to a more pragmatic Helvetica or a similar font. This seems to be a mainly affluent people's phenomenon, since I rarely see house numbers spelled out in working-class areas. It's also more common with numbers less than 1000, and even more so for numbers less than 10.

Why? I don't see a single benefit in spelling out house numbers. It's much harder to read what's a series of words than a simple string of digits. Which makes it harder for visitors to find your house, if they don't already know it really well. In fact, not just visitors; it's harder for delivery workers and emergency services to locate your house, if they can't read the number quickly and easily from a moving vehicle. Especially with certain fonts.

What does everyone else think about this? Do you prefer numbers or words? Does the font make a difference?

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 06-03-2018 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 11:27 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
There is no benefit and emergency services hates them. They like nice clear numbers that are easily visible from the street. That can be a major issue in areas with long driveways and spread out houses.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:25 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
> This seems to be a mainly affluent people's phenomenon

Much more sophisticated to have a NAME instead of numbers

Say "The Gables" or "Blandings Castle."

Old 06-03-2018, 05:26 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
It's a style preference. If you don't like it, you don't have to do it. .

Old 06-03-2018, 05:59 PM

7,452 posts, read 4,681,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I've been seeing this often enough to wonder about it: house numbers written in words. For example: "Twenty-four Nineteen", instead of "2419". House numbers with a zero in them even have "O" (letter) or "Oh", or even a "0" (zero), such as "Three Oh Nine" for "309". At times, the words are written in cursive or a hard-to-read font like Old English, as opposed to a more pragmatic Helvetica or a similar font. This seems to be a mainly affluent people's phenomenon, since I rarely see house numbers spelled out in working-class areas. It's also more common with numbers less than 1000, and even more so for numbers less than 10.

Why? I don't see a single benefit in spelling out house numbers. It's much harder to read what's a series of words than a simple string of digits. Which makes it harder for visitors to find your house, if they don't already know it really well. In fact, not just visitors; it's harder for delivery workers and emergency services to locate your house, if they can't read the number quickly and easily from a moving vehicle. Especially with certain fonts.

What does everyone else think about this? Do you prefer numbers or words? Does the font make a difference?
I think this would work best for those ending in zero and repetitious, like "Twenty-Twenty".

Old 06-03-2018, 06:53 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Pretentious.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:00 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
There is no benefit and emergency services hates them. They like nice clear numbers that are easily visible from the street. That can be a major issue in areas with long driveways and spread out houses.
Parts of the unincorporated DuPage County have a solution for this. It uses two house number markers: a county one and a personal one. The personal one can be whatever you want it to be, located anywhere on or in front of the house. The county one looks like a small street sign, located next to the driveway. They all look the same: bold white letters in a plain font on a contrasting background.

The reason is like you described. Unincorporated areas tend to be rural-looking and spread out. Also, the house numbers in those areas are non-standard. They look something like this: "2N085" or "32W344" (the leading zero after the letter is required). I can only imagine how it'll look spelled out: "Thirty-two West Three Forty-four". (Google Maps didn't even recognize those addresses until a few years ago.)

Old 06-03-2018, 07:01 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Pretentious.

You took the word right out of my mouth! I'll add ostentatious as well.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:04 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Yes...it's an affectation. One of many that people have to separate themselves from others. Big deal.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:20 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's a style preference. If you don't like it, you don't have to do it. .
Sometimes it just looks cool or different...
My friends house number is 210. They have the number on the curb, and at the mailbox - very well visible to everyone. At the house they have ornamental boulder that says: Two ten Mariposa Dr. It looks great. Simple numbers sounds good... So why not?

Last edited by elnina; 06-03-2018 at 07:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House