Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 11:00 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

I keep thinking of more. I guess there are a lot of odd neighbors out there.

When I was in high school, my girlfriend lived on a lake. We woudl sit ont he dock and talk for hours sometimes. If her neighbor was out in his jet boat, the woudl pull in close, turn and throw a wave of water over us with his boat.

She had an annoying little yappy dog that her whole family adored. The neighbor guy hated that dog and kept threatening to kill it. The dog got really sick and died. The vet said it had been poisoned. My girlfriend found a bowl of food at the edge of his property and took it in and confirmed the food was poisoned with the chemical that had killed her dog. She confronted him and he admitted putting out poison food and said I told you to keep that dog off my property.

My friends and I were a bit out of control in high school. We tormented that guy for months. Shot arrows into his garage door, rigged a bag of flour to fall on him when he came out of his house other things like that. However we eventually came up with the ultimate plan. Late at night we waded out to his boat and drilled five holes in it. We cover the holes with duct tape. The duct tape was wrapped around so some fishing lead line with hooks and lots of sinkers on the end. Then we waded out neck deep in the lake. We had milk cartons with bags of rocks tied to them on short line so the milk cartons we pulled just below the surface when the rocks sat on the bottom. We put milk cartons about 15 feet apart with fish line tight between them. The idea was the fish hooks would catch the fish line when he took the boat out and pull the duct tape off the holes and make his boat sink out in the deeper part of the lake where he could not recover it easily. It was ridiculously complex and very high school. We were out in the water for over three hours setting this up, it is amazing we did not get caught. It would have been smarter to just take a hammer to his boat.

We did not get to see what happened. The boat did disappear about a week later. Rotten neighbor. I suppose I should feel guilty about it. Maybe I will try to feel guilty about it later- after i retire and slow down. Too busy right now.

We lived next door to a boarding house for a while. They had some odd tenants. One guy would go out to his car at 3 a.m. and crank the stereo all the way up for two or three hours and just sit in his car. We finally used our multi-million candleppower spotlight to deter this practice. Another family who lived in there had four cars but only one set of license plates. They woudl come home, take the plates off the car, put them on another car and drive off. We never figure out why they did that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 11:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
And I do have that one guy who keeps his lawn too too nice. When I step out into the street and take an objective look at my lawn it looks no different from any of the other lawns when looked at individually....except for that one looks like a small slice of Buckingham Palace. I just don't want to spent what must be several hundred, maybe even into the low $1,000 range, on whatever grass seeds, fertilizers, limes, weed killers, etc. that they're using. My lawn looks fine being pretty natural minus the weekly cut. I'll weed-whack once a month or so.
We hired one of those lawn chemical companies for a year and had that problem. (Chemlawn maybe?) All the other lawns were normal: dandelions; mixed grass; brownish spots here and there. Ours was pure grass, emerald green, lush, thick, no weeds. It looked stupid and out of place. We cancelled the service.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Haven't read all the responses but I'll go back and do so because they seem funny.

I feel sort of bad because here's my next door neighbor situation:

When we moved in, we had two next door neighbors - a husband and wife. Well, we had four - a husband and wife on one side and a wife and wife on the other side, who we never saw or heard, so I'm not discussing them (they moved anyway and we got new, more fun neighbors - who I'm also not discussing - LOL)).

OK so - the original husband and wife duo. They were older than us by about ten years. He was an alcoholic and a pretty obnoxious person, who would do things like come into our fenced backyard and even our house once without knocking (the garage door was open and he just walked on in through the garage and back door!). He had cirrhosis of the liver and was on dialysis and often on a walker so honestly, we just put up with him because he seemed so frail. But he was RUDE and one thing he always did was talk about his wife, even if she was standing right there - he'd talk about how he had married an heiress (he had) and how she was pretty weird but he could see past that for the money yada yada yada.

She has a serious speech impediment that makes communicating with her VERY difficult. I mean VERY.

So anyway - he died a year or so ago. One of our neighbors told us, a week or so after the funeral. We had had no idea he died.

It has been over a year and I have not said a word to the wife. Now, normally I would have gone right over - but here's the part I feel so bad about - I CAN'T TALK WITH HER. Communicating is just so stinking difficult because she TRIES to talk - God bless her - but it's excruciating for all involved. So...though I know she is over there alone in that big house, I haven't said anything to her.

However, I have thought often about how she is probably relieved to be done with that horrible man and I hope she's enjoying her inheritance and that she has a peaceful happy life.

I guess maybe I'M the weird neighbor in this scenario - LOL.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:21 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
The first time I met my neighbor he told me he didn't like sunshine. Ok. I guess Wisconsin isn't a bad choice for you then.

The second time I met him he was on a diatribe about people skateboarding in the bank parking lot next door to my house. Not his. We're new to the neighborhood and he went on and on about it. Telling me "don't even let them get started". I bought my daughter a skateboard the next week.

He also went on and on about the process for refuting the property tax bill. I didn't ask nor do I care.

Oh, and he complained about how the other old guy across the street mows his lawn. At least that old guy is nice.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:04 PM

1,066 posts, read 766,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
For me it would be horrifying trading limited time on this earth mowing a lawn that’ll just keep growing and keep wasting my time lol.
Hmmmm. I like gardening including mowing the lawn (and brush hogging the fields). Just pull up Spotify on my phone, put the earbuds and chillax. One of my favorite things is the smell of fresh cut grass.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:08 PM

400 posts, read 573,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
Hmmmm. I like gardening including mowing the lawn (and brush hogging the fields). Just pull up Spotify on my phone, put the earbuds and chillax. One of my favorite things is the smell of fresh cut grass.

I'm very much with you. Nothing horrifying about it. Different people do different things for enjoyment - it's what makes the world what it is.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:20 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
My next-door neighbor has a temper tantrum about every hour on the hour. He has extreme anger issues and slams doors and cabinets. I hear him yell, "goddammit" and "mother****er" more times than I can count. I thought he was IN my house at midnight the other night, he was SO loud.
He was in his yard swearing at a stick last week.

Last summer there was a beautiful vine on the fence that separates our yards (thank GOD for that fence) and I heard him out there, just having an epic fit. I looked out my window and he was just ripping that vine apart. The vine was wrapped around his head and arms and he was flailing about in the yard, swearing and red-faced. It went on for about 20 minutes while neighborhood children played nearby and people walked their dogs, etc. Angry Old Vine Face just swearing his fool head off like no one could hear him at all. Craziness.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:16 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,144 times
Several years ago our neighbours were a young couple with a baby. Nice people - quiet, amenable, and easy to chat with over the fence for a few minutes every now and again. Then the husband got a job offer in another city, but they weren't sure how well it would work for them. So they kept the house and rented it out. For a couple of years everything went well - decent tenants and no apparent problems.

Then there were new tenants. A family with four young children and another well on the way. We met the children before we met the parents. Nice kids, well behaved, played together really well in the backyard. A bit noisy sometimes, but happy noise. Then we met the parents by way of one or other of them coming to our back door every couple of days, asking to borrow something (such as a garden tool, a hammer, a staple gun). At first, being neighbourly, we obliged but their requests became more frequent and more significant (lawn mower, pressure washer, give them a ride to the store), so we started telling them we didn't own what they were asking for, or couldn't give them a ride.

Perhaps a month after they had arrived they held a yard sale. We only knew of it from the cars parked outside and people leaving with boxes of stuff. We thought it was odd they hadn't held their yard sale before they moved here, but oh well. Then the next weekend, they held another yard sale.

By now the pregnant mother's due date is fast approaching - and they all disappear. Maybe they're on vacation, or staying with friends and will return soon with a new baby. But no, another family moved in - a couple with two teenage boys. Our paths didn't cross so we never spoke with them.

A couple of months later, there were police at the house and a few days later the family was gone.

Eventually we found out what had happened. The homeowners had used their under-house storage area to store some furniture and bits and pieces they didn't need to take with them, locked it up and noted it on the lease as NOT part of the rental,

The yard sales the tenants held were of the owners' belongings. The tenants had broken into the locked storage area and sold the lot!

To top that off, they had then bought a standard lease form, pretended they owned the property, and rented it to the family with the teen boys before disappearing.

A school inspector turned up one day asking if we knew what had happened to the family as none of their three school-age children were in school.

The yard-sale family had not paid rent since the first week, claiming it must have been lost in the post, or the bank had lost it or whatever story they could come up with, and by the time the process for eviction was ready to be finalised they had vanished, but had still somehow collected the rent the unsuspecting teen kid family had been paying them for a number of weeks.

It's mind boggling how brazen some people can be!

Last edited by Kobber; 06-15-2018 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: Fix line-spacing

Old 06-15-2018, 09:37 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
My older, very religious neighbors catch chipmunks in a trap in their yard.

When they first moved in my son released a chipmunk, thinking that they forgot about it and it was in the cage all day long, it was evening and it must be thirsty. They came unglued! Horribly upset. Made it very clear he was to never do that again.

So yesterday they had a chipmunk in the cage in the sun for 2 days. My son asked if he could let it go if we drove it more than a mile from our house. They said no. It was to die in the cage to show the other animals to stay away from their property.

My kids are tender hearted and I like them to be that way...but its real hard living next door to religious nuts who torture animals! Watching the critters die in a cage for several days is heartbreaking.

And I am starting to REALLY dislike these religious nuts!

But Karma is at work...their adult son died in an overheated car--he was drinking and passed out, overheated and died...and they still do that to chipmunks---they must not understand karma! They are earning more bad karma!

Old 06-15-2018, 10:32 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
If you like doung yard work, I mean I find that weird but to each his own haha. That’s all I was saying spend your time doing what you love as much as possible. Forget the rest.

I love these stories haha they crack me up! Wow there are some crazy ones. I’ve had some weird neighbors in condos but they weren’t people I knew well.

In LA I left for Christmas break and when I came back the front desk concierge told me one of the penthouse units got raided by about 15 LAPD SWAT members while he was on duty. Came to the desk and said, “Search warrant for P5” or whatever and he’s like yeah sure uhh let me get the elevator. They were paying $10K/month in cash, huge red flag, and he told me everyone knew it always smelled like pot up on the entire penthouse floor. Sure enough they were using the whole place as a grow house. That was a bit crazy.

I had another neighbor in that building in a band, all tattooed up, major anger issues. He was really ticked that I jumped in the elevator as the door was about to close. He starts calling me names and yelling, which was insane. I told him if he wants to fight let’s get off and do it, I’ll wipe the floor with him. He just gives me a dumb little smirk and shuts up. Big talker, small angry little man. He was later forced to leave the building after many complaints, the HOA said nope you’re gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House