Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 06:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

My brother bought a dome-house at an auction for a few hundred. All it is is a bunch of connectors. You supply the panels (plywood) and frame materials, cut the materials and assemble the home. Then you need insulation, wire, plumbing, a heat source and fixtures, floors,and if you will have internal walls - those too. Of course you need a slab and utilities. You can DIY that I think. If you do not already have power water gas and sewer to the property your budget is impossible. If you already have stub ups, you might do a dome house if you did it all yourself and kept it simple. Wood heat, no interior walls or rooms, no AC, Just a toilet in the corner etc. You might not able able to have anything for a kitchen, but you could use a camping stove and just buy fresh foodstuffs daily. You could add a fridge later. Clothing and be washed in a laundry sink which can also serve for a kitchen sink.

Alternate 2. Sell the land, add the money to your $5000 and buy a house in semi livable condition in a terrible location. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...29_rect/10_zm/

Probably not livable, but for 7500 you might get one you can live in.

This one has almost all the windows intact! https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...29_rect/10_zm/

On a golf course! https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...363_rect/9_zm/

Last edited by Coldjensens; 06-09-2018 at 06:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 08:08 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I think your cheapest option is finding an older 80s/90s travel trailer that’s ‘for sale by owner’. Explain to the seller your situation and if they want to sell it badly enough they’ll deliver it and set it up for you.

Something like this..
https://pensacola.craigslist.org/rvs...580006006.html

Old 06-09-2018, 08:27 AM

496 posts, read 411,541 times
If zoning allows I would get a camper and make it a permanent dwelling. You might get lucky and the seller might deliver for a small fee or even just the price of gas. Over time you could add a roof, siding, deck, add on a room, etc. It could be a very nice and cozy home.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:43 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercoyote View Post
If zoning allows I would get a camper and make it a permanent dwelling. You might get lucky and the seller might deliver for a small fee or even just the price of gas. Over time you could add a roof, siding, deck, add on a room, etc. It could be a very nice and cozy home.
I have a friend that sort of did this, she is single with no kids and doesn’t have a desire to own a house, and like the OP, she also inherited about an acre of land. She had someone to build her a 24x30 pole barn, and she has a camper under one half, and uses the other half for her truck, mower, grill, etc.. Because of the extra roof, she never has to worry about the camper roof leaking.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:40 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,569,029 times
Best of luck to you in this. I hope you can find the perfect setup. I know you have been working toward an affordable home for yourself for a long time. So many hopes, and dreams. Congrats on the land, yippee . Did you find it in Washington state? What's it like?

Old 06-09-2018, 11:03 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
One of my sons bought a house for 'next to nothing' because it was going to be demolished so a new business could be built on the lot. He had it moved to his property and did a near total renovation working weekends and holidays. He bought most materials at habitat for humanity. Something to look into anyway (if you're handy).

Old 06-09-2018, 11:19 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
all you need is a poncho - Dollar Store

Old 06-09-2018, 11:40 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
BLUE SKY MODE ON

https://elsesociety.com/the-5000-diy...of-the-future/
The materials [FOR AIRCRETE] are about a dollar per square foot per square inch. In other words, if you build 1000 square feet and it’s 5 inches thick, it’ll cost you about $5,000.

Except OP has stated that they cannot perform the labor themselves, this still requires a foundation, a door would be nice, and it gets cold in the winter.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:34 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I need all the help I can get. Truly!

Yeah, it's a challenge, all right. I had been leaning towards the single wide myself. The problem is finding one I can fix and one close enough so hauling isn't so expensive.

Does anyone here have any idea how much it might be to insulate, wire, and plumb a largish shed?
Wire depends on how far you are from the main wire on the closest road and how the power company charges. Otherwise you better price generators.

Plumb can mean many things. Are you near a water/sewer system you can connect to, can you dig a well there, can you have a cistern, a septic tank, a cesspool (do they still have those?).

Insulate is cost of insulation and staples and your labor.

Don't forget to include permits for any/all of above work.

However, you will not get a certificate of occupancy to live in a shed. Period.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:31 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
neighbor put an home depot pre built shed on his, its pretty nice, I like the idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House