Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 06:24 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,272,562 times

Advertisements

It's funny you posted this. Just today Facebook reminded me of something I complained about last year. People on Tiny House Hunters looking for tiny houses seem to constantly complain about how small everything is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 07:11 AM

277 posts, read 292,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If I heard Joanna Gaines talk about shiplap one more time I thought I was going to scream. Chip is annoying with his childish antics. Did you see the time he ate a dead cockroach? I was ready to throw up.
Plus, he’s in his forties, time to turn the hat around. Looks cool when you’re 18.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:13 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,361,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
It's funny you posted this. Just today Facebook reminded me of something I complained about last year. People on Tiny House Hunters looking for tiny houses seem to constantly complain about how small everything is.
I don’t get the tiny house thing at all for people who want mobility. RV’s are efficient and road worthy. Otherwise, just build a casita.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:29 AM

45,444 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester View Post
Plus, he’s in his forties, time to turn the hat around. Looks cool when you’re 18.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If I heard Joanna Gaines talk about shiplap one more time I thought I was going to scream. Chip is annoying with his childish antics. Did you see the time he ate a dead cockroach? I was ready to throw up.
Yeah, for some reason Joanna appears to have "settled" for him.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:58 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
The script I hate is:

Realtor: We have found the PERFECT house for you. It meets everything on your wish list and is marvelous! Oh but it's 25% over your budget!

Couple: We'll take it!

How do they suddenly find another $100k?

or

How every single show makes it seem like it's easy to get renovation money. The couple has 300k to spend on a house so anything under that is extra money they can use to renovate. I guess everyone buys cash?

Old 06-18-2018, 08:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester View Post
LOL I'm not sure it EVER looks cool.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:28 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,999,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
My Lottery Dream Home.

"We just won seventeen million dollars. Our budget is $200,000 but we can go as high as $225,000."
This doesn't bother me at all. It shows that they don't want some million dollar mansion that isn't needed. IMO, these lottery winners are some of the more responsible buyers/shoppers out there.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:31 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,999,315 times
The one thing that always bothered me with Fixer Upper is that their budget will be 200K and they will end up buying a 30K shack and renovate it with the remaining 170K. What they don't show you is the neighborhood this house is in. It was 30K initially for a reason. Every now and then you can catch a glimpse of the neighborhood and you will see many other shacks just like it up and down the street, or it will be across from a ghetto looking hotel/apartment building. So, now you have this nice house, but you have the view of New Orleans after Katrina.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:42 AM

2,496 posts, read 1,874,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I don’t get the tiny house thing at all for people who want mobility. RV’s are efficient and road worthy. Otherwise, just build a casita.
They're always crowing "Oh, we can move it all over the country and live in different places!" Uh...no. Yes, it is on wheels and you can move it. But do it more than a couple of times and things will start falling off.

First of all, the tiny houses usually have lots of open shelving, which means everything has to be taken down and stowed somewhere when moving. The siding, windows, etc. are seldom made to stand the constant flexing that driving that thing over the open road will bring.

RV's are constructed with storage places that close up securely and with components that can stand the flexing and jolting. The plumbing is designed to take stress.

If you want something mobile, get an RV. It can be a lot cheaper.

If you want something permanent, build a tiny house. On the ground.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:48 AM

17,348 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
They're always crowing "Oh, we can move it all over the country and live in different places!" Uh...no. Yes, it is on wheels and you can move it. But do it more than a couple of times and things will start falling off.

First of all, the tiny houses usually have lots of open shelving, which means everything has to be taken down and stowed somewhere when moving. The siding, windows, etc. are seldom made to stand the constant flexing that driving that thing over the open road will bring.

RV's are constructed with storage places that close up securely and with components that can stand the flexing and jolting. The plumbing is designed to take stress.

If you want something mobile, get an RV. It can be a lot cheaper.

If you want something permanent, build a tiny house. On the ground.
Some people just blindly dive into whatever the latest fad is no matter how stupid or impracticable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House