Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:09 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,754 times

Advertisements

At Home. It's an amazing store to check out if you have one in your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 04:31 AM

19,832 posts, read 12,090,217 times
Find a lovely fabric (designer silk scarves are fun) and make a hanging or put it in a large frame. Spend an afternoon taking pictures of places that are meaningful to you, print them in black and white and put them in special frames.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:33 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post

This!^^^^
And there is one near you in the Rockchester area.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:37 AM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
I agree regarding the idea of something with a bit more substance/meaning versus the typical Made in China stuff found in the big box stores. Check out some of the nicer thrift stores or some of the antiques stores that are more reasonably priced. I see you're in the Rochester NY area so perhaps some of these might be good options..

https://theshopsonwestridge.com/
A Second Thought Retail Shop - Home
Goodwill of the Finger Lakes > Shop > Hours and Locations

Old 06-19-2018, 07:26 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Salvation Army.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:28 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I want to buy a few things to make my apartment feel more like a home than a hotel room. I'm not trying to buy anything expensive bc I might be moving again soon and it might not work there.
As far as decor, I have always just bought pieces that I LOVE. I've moved a bunch of times and never had a situation where I was unable to find a place to put a piece of decor.

Look for something that you love to look at. Don't go by whether it's cheap. If you can afford it, and you see something you love that is expensive, splurge on it. If you can't, then keep looking. I've found pieces I have loved at all price points. I've never regretted buying anything that I saw and just had to have.

One thing that I've found that is relatively inexpensive is to have some of the canvas prints made at a place like snapfish. I take some of my favorite photos and have them printed on canvas at as large as they can go without the picture being distorted. They look quite nice, and they're not that expensive. You could do one large one or a group of smaller ones.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:58 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
At Home's faux plant selection is amazing. Really realistic looking and affordable. Better and cheaper than Target or Cost Plus.

Target and Cost Plus are also good for not crazy expensive decor.

I've come across CB2 recently as well when I Googled Gold Knobs. I just got some stuff of theirs on the way, hopefully it looks as good as in the pictures.

https://www.cb2.com/table-top-decor/...22%7D%7D~EDGE~

$13 sweater aloe plant

$10 succulent

$13 tray

Old 06-19-2018, 10:14 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I want to buy a few things to make my apartment feel more like a home than a hotel room. I'm not trying to buy anything expensive bc I might be moving again soon and it might not work there.

The main thing I'm looking for is something the put on top of a small, narrow waist high table I have at the top of the landing in my entry stairs. I see that table from the bottom of the stairs when I open my front door. I feel like I need something that has some height and volume. I don't have an outlet there. It doesn't get much sunlight so I don't think a plant would work. I tried a pretty big bowl type thing but it's not enough of a statement.

I went to home goods, target and Walmart. No luck. Maybe pier 1?
I love Pier 1, but don't often buy there unless it's a sale. They can be pricey.

Have you tried thrift stores, flea markets, estate sales? You might also check out Etsy.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:20 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Is there a local swap group on facebook? I live in what's admittedly an upper middle class area with people with a fair amount of disposable income. They move a lot, although often within our same planned urban community, and they also update home decor just because they want something new. Then they sell off what they had before because they need to clear it out, but at a huge discount from what it would have been brand new. I've gotten some amazing things - framed artwork and photos, occasional furniture, gorgeous art glass pieces. I had to ban myself from looking at the swap page for a while because I was buying more stuff than I could really use, just because it was so nice and so cheap!

Old 06-19-2018, 10:23 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
You rent. Are you allowed to hang pictures? If so, I suggest a bright colored, nicely framed, print. Nice and large, and it doesn't intrude onto the stairway space.

Items that are tall but not wide can be hard to come by.

Costco sells a really nice looking silk orchid that is tall.

Buy a nicely made, tall, heavy, cut crystal vase and fill it with peacock tail feathers. You can get a dandy real cut crystal vase for about $50, if you shop carefully, and that will be a treasure to keep forever.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 06-19-2018 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House