Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 02:18 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,990,487 times

Advertisements

Our first home was a new townhouse that we bought in 1987. The ceilings weren't exactly popcorn but rough textured that had pointy pieces that looked like stalactites. The only drawback we saw to that was when our daughter was given a balloon when she was a preschooler. She let go of the balloon, it hit one of the "stalactites" which popped it. In the future, we told her to be careful if she got another balloon. Otherwise, we all never gave the ceilings another thought.

When we sold the house 13 years later, the buyers didn't care what the ceilings were like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 02:29 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
What is the issue with popcorn ceilings? I have never thought of them one way or the other (although don't think I've ever had them in an apartment- always lived in really old beat-up conversions from the 1920s). Is it that it is a dated format? Is it really an HGTV thing or is there some genuine drawback?
They are impossible to clean. The area around an a/c or heater vent if in the ceiling - try cleaning the area and you are showered with little beads of popcorn.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:42 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
I was wondering, has anyone else had this change in how they view things, or is just a "Vicky" thing?

When I was young, I hated houses that were dated. Now I really don't care. Our house has the original tile countertops, and I'm not getting rid of them in favor of granite or whatever is current. And, yes, my appliances are still 90s almond, but they work just fine. I'm sure the younger people in my family cringe when they come to visit, but that's just the way it is, kids.

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Interesting how the comments in here reflect our feelings about them. Love them hate them they were much more the norm and now they are a relic of past construction to love, hate or be indifferent to them. How times change.

1,304 posts, read 855,271 times
My current house that I bought in 2004 has popcorn ceilings....never even thought about them...and frankly, I am not one to clean ceilings! Is that really a thing???? Anyway, heard from realtor now that I"m planning to sell, that I should get rid of them! People are just plain nuts these days. Who the heck sits around staring at the ceiling??? Maybe now that Marijuana s legal in many place, that is more common. I have no plans to remove...and asbestos can be an issue if you do so. If the new owners are offended by it, they can replace it. And the market is so hot around here, doubt it's that big a deal. I think HGTV has made people just plain crazy in what they think they must have in a home. I want a roof over my head, a place to sleep, and a functioning kitchen and bath. Don't care what color they are.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:00 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
People loved popcorn ceilings when they were new because they covered up irregularities in the ceilings. Prior to that ceilings had been improved by rolling a white paper, like a wallpaper, over the irregularities. So popcorn was an improvement. But now the drywall is so smooth and techniques so good at making seams disappear that we don't need any cover ups, especially dust collecting ones. And let us not forget that old popcorn ceilings were popular at the same time people tended to smoke a lot. Yellowed from nicotine? Can't scrub it clean.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:08 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
I love me some popcorn. It goes with me ceiling.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:09 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
My current house that I bought in 2004 has popcorn ceilings....never even thought about them...and frankly, I am not one to clean ceilings! Is that really a thing???? Anyway, heard from realtor now that I"m planning to sell, that I should get rid of them! People are just plain nuts these days. Who the heck sits around staring at the ceiling??? Maybe now that Marijuana s legal in many place, that is more common. I have no plans to remove...and asbestos can be an issue if you do so. If the new owners are offended by it, they can replace it. And the market is so hot around here, doubt it's that big a deal. I think HGTV has made people just plain crazy in what they think they must have in a home. I want a roof over my head, a place to sleep, and a functioning kitchen and bath. Don't care what color they are.
The the a/c blows for six months out of the year, even with professionals cleaning the venting, dust and crap blows all in those nooks and crannies of the popcorn ceiling. Nasty. Glad to be rid of it.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:20 PM

813 posts, read 402,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I have popcorn ceilings too. Don't particularly care for them but I spend very little time looking up. If I was going to sell and a realtor could convince me that I would get a good return on investment, then maybe I would spend the money. Otherwise, the new owners could deal with the mess of removal and expense.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:35 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Default Popcorn ceilings are okay

I think some people don't mind them at all but if you are going to sync with your friends
you'll say you don't like them just so you won't be uncool. If cool TV people are sneering at popcorn ceilings then its more likely you will too. It had its uses and was very popular.

(My dad even added gold glitter to the popcorn. Now that is innovative! But weird.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House