Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 10:27 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I think you have me confused. They aren't stand alone. We looked into individual meters but it would be insanely expensive. We also looked into doing it by building (with several units in each) but that was rejected as you could get stuck in a building with high water users.

Since the external water spigot is condo property and NOT unit owner property, I don't see why we can't put covers on them and close them off. You may have your water in the unit or even in a watering can but you don't have the right to have water on the outside of your property if we don't want it.

My main concern is the "not all there" resident who probably leaves the water running all night. There is no getting through to her.
I’ve worked at places that locked off external spigots. One resident washed his RV weekly. And the other 10 his extended family owned. The big class C kind.

Boy did he get ticked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 10:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I would worry about the owners turning on the spigot from inside, if the spigot outside was closed off. There would be pressure built up in the line, and you could end up with leaks inside the units.

I think the answer is to raise the dues temporarily to install meters. Then, in theory, after the install is paid for, their dues could even end up lower than they were, because now the HOA's water bill would have gone down tremendously.

I so hated owning a condo and dealing with a HOA and all of this type of stuff. I sold mine after only 1 year, and I did also get on the board and it was a waste of time. I had always owned my properties free and clear before, and I just couldn't stand having a bunch of strangers having the ability to mess with my investment and my lifestyle.

Best of luck to you, OP.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:04 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It also doesn’t address the reality that different units of identical size may have vastly different amounts of water usage, and not simply because some people are wasting water. I live in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo; I’m single, and am almost never home.
At one point the residents considered taking water out of our master deed and simply having people pay for it on their own by building. However, it was not clear how that would be done and it was concerning to people that lived in buildings with high water use. Better to share with 50 people than 5.

Also, we can't determine a pattern with regard to the water. Some buildings which have very few people living there have large water use... while others have tiny water use. We did look for leaks within the units but none were found. The only pattern that is obvious is the increase in the spring and summer months which points to gardening consuming excess water.

I would think there would be greater internal water use in the winter only because people are home. Many people in the complex are gone for weeks in the summer.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:42 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
If the outside spigot is the problem, a simple "fix" that would deter people from using it... just take off the knob. Do it at like two in the morning. Sure, someone could replace it, but it could very well be that the people wasting the water simply won't care to do it anymore.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:28 AM

2,452 posts, read 3,214,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
We can't shut off the water at night. The shut off is from the inside. That doesn't work any way as dementia lady there does all her watering during the day.
Put valves on the outside.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:29 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I’ve worked at places that locked off external spigots. One resident washed his RV weekly. And the other 10 his extended family owned. The big class C kind.

Boy did he get ticked.
Good for the community doing that.

It absolutely amazes me how people can choose to live in community plus a community where one or more expenses are clearly shared....and just bully everyone...financially, no less. And then the childish...well you said it was all included.

And, actually, that is a problem. If the expected similar number/age/vehicles of residents change over the decades...there needs to be rule changes as well.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:19 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
People obviously wish to have outside water. Yes, some "overuse/abuse" it, but many wash cars or water gardens which are typical uses for outdoor spigots.

Sooo....accept that people want outdoor water and simply include the cost in their condo assessment. Add it up, divide by units, and adjust the water charge to reflect the reality. A few may whine but the reality is that people want and use the outdoor water and the cost needs to be covered. Quite simple, really.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:46 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
People obviously wish to have outside water. Yes, some "overuse/abuse" it, but many wash cars or water gardens which are typical uses for outdoor spigots.

Sooo....accept that people want outdoor water and simply include the cost in their condo assessment. Add it up, divide by units, and adjust the water charge to reflect the reality. A few may whine but the reality is that people want and use the outdoor water and the cost needs to be covered. Quite simple, really.
So you are advising that they do what they are already doing? Water charges are covered by the condo fees.

The question was how to keep people from abusing this access to outside water, either intentionally or accidentally, since that is a benefit to ALL of the owners.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:52 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The question was how to keep people from abusing this access to outside water, either intentionally or accidentally, since that is a benefit to ALL of the owners.
And the answer is to meter it (since one person's "reasonable use" is another person's "abuse"). Ivmensch's suggestion to fit each unit's line to the outdoor spigot with a meter sounds like a decent approach since fitting each unit with a meter on the unit's main water line (which would allow metering of all water use) is a more costly approach than the association is willing to approve right now.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:54 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
So you are advising that they do what they are already doing? Water charges are covered by the condo fees.

Yup. Just adjust the water charge accordingly.

As we have seen, abusing access to outside water is nearly impossible according to the OP. Either too costly, or too impractical.

So charge 'em all, and then you MIGHT get peoples attention as to water use.

I personally abhor wasting water, but if you can't shut it off, for whatever reason, then make it expensive. Maybe that will get someone's attention.

And yes, all pay. Sorry. Talk to your neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House