Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:31 PM

3,220 posts, read 1,604,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I made the mistake of signing up for where we used to live but still owned a house that was for sale, to try to keep abreast of neighborhood changes that might affect our house.

Taking a look at what was posted, I decided it was useless. When I told them to delete my registration, they merely made it Inactive. Looks like it is just a data collection masquerade.
If a service is free, then you and your data are the “product”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 02:47 PM

133 posts, read 87,666 times
Nextdoor is like a car wreck...I feel bad looking but I can't help it!

I guess people forget that it's a closed community and everyone they're blasting or complaining about actually is a neighbor. It's amazing the back and forth people get into about the most mundane topics. And I know damn well that they wouldn't speak like that to each other in person.

We live in an HOA community and people complain incessantly about the board and 'wasted money' and 'terrible decisions' but cannot be bothered to come to any board meetings and share their opinions and actually be on record with their concerns and their brilliant alternative solutions they're so proud of on Next Door.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
Exactly! I wonder who they're selling the mined data to? There's NOTHING that's "free", there's always some kind of cost just not always monetary...

Old 07-09-2018, 08:35 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Exactly! I wonder who they're selling the mined data to? There's NOTHING that's "free", there's always some kind of cost just not always monetary...
This is an excellent point. I do know some people who received an unsolicited invitation to join this in the mail so there has to be some benefit to them to expend the funds on advertising and running the service. They're not doing it as a charity as far as I know.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:48 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
If the service provides no benefit, I sure don’t intend to give them my data. They got it, but I moved away (wrong phone number, no longer in service and no forwarding).

Old 07-09-2018, 08:51 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Question: I was considering joining the Next Door in my area, but the sign up page wanted my social security number. I didn’t want to give them this info, so I didn’t join. Anyone else join without having to give their SS #?
I was in the process of signing up, but when it came to asking for my SS#, I stopped. But it seems I got joined anyway, as I get a barrage of emails from them daily.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I was in the process of signing up, but when it came to asking for my SS#, I stopped. But it seems I got joined anyway, as I get a barrage of emails from them daily.
Be very careful with this because as discussed previously, whatever website was asking for a SS# doesn't appear to be the real NextDoor website. The concern is that it's a phishing site trying to get peoples' personal information to scam them or steal their identity.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:46 PM

993 posts, read 766,848 times
I have a next door account but I only use it to ask for referrals to different services, doctors, etc.

I receive the next door digest email daily that contains all the posts for that day. I have it set up through my gmail account to be automatically deleted. That way I never have to read any of the nonsense. It was getting ridiculous with people's snarky comments back and forth. I don’t get why people just can’t be civil to their neighbors.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:47 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I have to admit, I would not go near a three week old rotten turkey with a ten foot pole.
I would. That's what ten foot poles are made for.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:19 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
I have a next door account but I only use it to ask for referrals to different services, doctors, etc.

I receive the next door digest email daily that contains all the posts for that day. I have it set up through my gmail account to be automatically deleted. That way I never have to read any of the nonsense. It was getting ridiculous with people's snarky comments back and forth. I don’t get why people just can’t be civil to their neighbors.
Why didn't you just change your settings in Nextdoor? You don't have to receive the digest. You can receive all, some, or no emails at all from the website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House