Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 11:41 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times

Advertisements

Bank originally lent money to Mr and Mrs (or whatever party names you wish to use).

Now that 'party' no longer exists as a legal entity. Some people skate along, never inform the bank, and just make payments until the loan is extinguished.

In order to get a new party on the mortgage ( such as Mr OR Mrs, but not both) the original loan needs to be paid off and a new loan issued to the new party. It can become difficult if the original loan was granted on the basis of combined income, and now the new loan must be based on the single parties income.

Hence, the OP asking about can you do a quit claim deed? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 12:15 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenusa17 View Post
Dear all,

How to remove wife's name from house title, deed and mortgage loan without refinance?

which Texas law requires all lenders to remove spouse name based on divorce judgement and keeping same loan terms without refinance?

Please advise.

Thanks a million! God Bless you!
No matter the advice you get here there is only one word that really matters to prevent very real grief for you down the road......LAWYER !

You really do need a decent lawyer to sort out all the details (and there are many) of removing your ex-wife's name (and any claim) from your property and wages /saving/investments.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Whiteout?

Old 07-09-2018, 02:29 PM

97 posts, read 92,571 times
Dear all,

I spoke to few lawyers. all gave me different information.

I got quit claim deed done now but removing spouse name from mortgage is pending.

I have enough income and credit score of 840 for many years. so I am hoping to keep original loan terms and low interest rate with no closing cost for refinance.

I hope there is way to remove her without any cost. she is willing to sign all docs.

Please advise.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:29 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Dear all,

I got quit claim deed done now but removing spouse name from mortgage is pending.

I have enough income and credit score of 840 for many years. so I am hoping to keep original loan terms and low interest rate with no closing cost for refinance.

I hope there is way to remove her without any cost. she is willing to sign all docs.

Please advise.

You can roll the closing costs into the refi, but rest assured, you will pay closing costs. There is no free refinance.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:08 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
You can roll the closing costs into the refi, but rest assured, you will pay closing costs. There is no free refinance.
I have a coworker going through this right now. His only choice was to refinance, and not only does he have to pay closing costs all over again, but the PMI is going up too.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:20 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Quote:

I hear you. It is frustrating if you could afford this on your own with ease but will still be forced to refi. When you say removing wife's name from the mortgage is "pending" - do you mean that you talked to your mortgage holder and requested this? And they are considering it?

Old 07-10-2018, 12:46 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
Quote:
Dear all,

Please advise.

This is backwards. The mortgage comes first (refinance 99.9% of the time, rarely will a lender provide a release of reliability), the deed at closing.

Your ex took a huge financial risk by signing the quit claim while on the mortgage. She is responsible for the loan but has no interest in the home. If you default, she is still on the hook and has no collateral.

Also, the mortgage company could call your note due. They can view the transfer of ownership as a sale.

How did you attorneys advise you to do this? I can't see how this large of a financial risk (for BOTH of you) was worth saving a few grand in refi costs.

(FYI- I work in the title industry)

Old 07-10-2018, 05:48 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
This is backwards. The mortgage comes first (refinance 99.9% of the time, rarely will a lender provide a release of reliability), the deed at closing.

Your ex took a huge financial risk by signing the quit claim while on the mortgage. She is responsible for the loan but has no interest in the home. If you default, she is still on the hook and has no collateral.

Also, the mortgage company could call your note due. They can view the transfer of ownership as a sale.

How did you attorneys advise you to do this? I can't see how this large of a financial risk (for BOTH of you) was worth saving a few grand in refi costs.

(FYI- I work in the title industry)
And I worked several years in the mortgage biz in Texas, mostly in Quality Control and Compliance.

What you want is not going to happen, Jaynarie is correct.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:46 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
My situation is the opposite, I am in WV and I want to be added to the mortgage which is in my husbands name only. I am on the deed though, but I don't want the mortgage to come due if he dies.
Does anyone know if this can be done without refinancing? We have already been through bankruptcy here but we have just kept paying on the mortgage loan so no action from the bank on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House