Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 11:21 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

The whole point of aluminum siding is that you never have to paint it.

It can be washed and if that doesn't perk it up, you can buff it. Which isn't much more work than going around and painting primer on it.

You can buy a special wash for washing aluminum siding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 11:26 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
If you take the shutters off, you are going to have holes in your siding. I don't like the diamonds. If that's paint, paint the shutter all the same color.

What the house needs is not a change of color. What it needs is a little bit of landscaping.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:41 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Here’s a more recent pic I took today. As you can see, the previous owners painted the trim a hideous bright blue. The lighter colored shingles is where the bank put a tarp on the roof to cover a leak (it’s a foreclosure). Maybe the tarp killed the black algae?

I ran my hand over the siding and the chalky paint comes off on my fingers, so I may give that EverBrite clear coat a try. I’m not sure what to do about the blue trim, either get paint mixed to match the siding, or paint it white. The front door and the shutters (if I keep them) will probably be painted black. Those diamonds on the shutters will come off.

As for the landscaping, I remember at one time this house had nice hedges all the way across the front, but the previous owners chopped them all down. They really did a number on that house in a short period of time.

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 03-22-2019 at 04:00 PM..

Old 07-08-2018, 06:32 PM

1,016 posts, read 307,325 times
Our old house had pale yellow vinyl siding with Golden Cedar architectural roof shingles, and the color combo was really nice. Best of luck!

Last edited by barb712; 07-08-2018 at 06:45 PM..

Old 07-08-2018, 09:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
It's easier to go darker rather than lighter. If you don't want to keep the blue, paint it a darker color. I don't think the shutters are all that hideous. Depending on what you plan to do with the property, I wouldn't spend a ton of money on it. It's still a house close to other houses with no fences in-between. It's not going to stand out much anyway. So, just do the minimum required, is my thinking. After you try the Everbrite, see how the color looks on the siding. And after changing out the roof, see what color would work best to cover the blue, if you still hate it.

If you're not planning on keeping it, I still stand by the idea that a darker roof will show less stains, etc. If you aren't going to be paying the heating bill, then I wouldn't worry about it - if you're planning on keeping it to rent it. Just looking at your last photo proves my point. The lighter roof stained dark where the tarp wasn't there. Same thing happens around vents and chimneys, etc. - they end up with a stain area around them that is more obvious on a lighter roof.

We kind of need to know what your plan is for the property - sell it? Keep it and rent it?

Old 07-09-2018, 01:19 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
It's in Florida - put on the lightest color of roof you can manage to keep the heat out.

One or two coats of Kilz primer will let you paint any color you like over the top of it.

If it were mine, I'd get rid of the railings around the porch or at least the front railings. The pickets are too far apart to actually keep anything on the porch and there's not enough height to warrant a railing.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It's easier to go darker rather than lighter. If you don't want to keep the blue, paint it a darker color. I don't think the shutters are all that hideous. Depending on what you plan to do with the property, I wouldn't spend a ton of money on it. It's still a house close to other houses with no fences in-between. It's not going to stand out much anyway. So, just do the minimum required, is my thinking. After you try the Everbrite, see how the color looks on the siding. And after changing out the roof, see what color would work best to cover the blue, if you still hate it.

If you're not planning on keeping it, I still stand by the idea that a darker roof will show less stains, etc. If you aren't going to be paying the heating bill, then I wouldn't worry about it - if you're planning on keeping it to rent it. Just looking at your last photo proves my point. The lighter roof stained dark where the tarp wasn't there. Same thing happens around vents and chimneys, etc. - they end up with a stain area around them that is more obvious on a lighter roof.

We kind of need to know what your plan is for the property - sell it? Keep it and rent it?
It’s going to be a rental, although I won’t rule out selling it someday. I am leaning towards the weathered gray color, since like you said, the tan shingles will end up looking gray anyways.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

If it were mine, I'd get rid of the railings around the porch or at least the front railings. The pickets are too far apart to actually keep anything on the porch and there's not enough height to warrant a railing.
I was thinking that as well, and maybe space out the two center posts so it’s all symmetrical. It would certainly be less for me to have to paint.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:56 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Interesting link on Wiki https://www.wikihow.com/Choose-the-C...ofing-Shingles

Personally, I always prefer a lighter colored house, especially when they are a smaller home. Then the roof should be something that has a touch of the house color in it....but not an overwhelming color.

Our roof shingle is called Weathered Wood.....that color is available in many style/companies of shingles.

I think it would look good with a lighter colored siding.....ours is a cream color.....with a variety of trim colors because it is more Victorian era.

I think your Ranch would look fine with a cream siding, a multi colored shingle and then a sage, or light brown trim. Here is a great link with lots of examples:https://www.google.com/search?q=sidi...S6pOiytS0OC-M:

Old 07-09-2018, 07:01 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I found this article that says you can just clean it, and then apply a product to just restore the original siding. I think this is what I'd do:

https://www.everbritecoatings.com/siding.htm

I did Google how to paint over aluminum siding, and found an article that said that you need to use an oil based primer before painting with latex paint, over the metal siding or your paint can bubble up.
Yes. I agree with simply washing the siding. You can actually wash your roof too. I would leave the light siding. Lighten up all that trim.....sorry, but that blue is too stark (I know it wasn't your choice)....anything lighter will be an improvement.

Looks like a nice lil house. Lots of possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House