Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 09:19 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,248,233 times

Advertisements

I just bought a 1955 rancher with aluminum siding as an investment property. It needs a roof badly so I’ll be getting that done next week.

Shingles will be GAF 3-tabs and will be either Golden Cedar or Autumn Brown.

The house needs painting and I’m thinking a sage/olive green for the body color and a cream for the trim. I will probably remove the shutters since they are in bad shape. The windows are bronze aluminum and they will be staying.

So which shingle color would look best on this house? I’m open to paint suggestions as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Need roof and paint color suggestions-2a1c5f20-3296-42fa-9296-c5ee882fb1b3.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 10:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,271,327 times
Are you sure you have to paint the body, with the aluminum siding?

As to the roof color, I think I'd go with the darker color, so as it ages, it won't show as much discoloration.

If you have to paint the body even over the aluminum siding for some reason (which I think you should seriously check out, because it might just peel off), I would not go with a drab olive green, personally. I'd go with a gray body and cream trim. The bronze windows would look fine with the gray and cream. It's a more popular color. This is an article on good colors to paint your house to sell it:

https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/14...ff-white-house

Old 07-07-2018, 10:53 PM

Well, I don’t have much experience with aluminum siding, since it’s rare in these parts, but it is a bit chalky looking up close. I was thinking of applying Peel-Bond first, before painting.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,777,347 times
In a word- no. If you intend to change the outside paint color, wait on the roof color as the green you're thinking about would look like crap with a light tan roof or even the current roof color. Figure out what color you're going to paint the house first, then chose a roof color. My personal, I wouldn't put anything but an architectural shingle on it. It adds to the perceived value a lot and doesn't cost that much more. Most are a 30 year shingle so get the color right that you want to paint the house.

FWIW, the lighter the roofing color, the cheaper the utility bill will be as more heat is reflected off of the roof with a lighter color. Dark colors, like what you have now, are a known hot roof.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:59 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,571,590 times
3-tab breaks down from heat. The lighter the roof color, the cooler the shingles stay and the longer they will last.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:05 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,271,327 times
I found this article that says you can just clean it, and then apply a product to just restore the original siding. I think this is what I'd do:

https://www.everbritecoatings.com/siding.htm

I did Google how to paint over aluminum siding, and found an article that said that you need to use an oil based primer before painting with latex paint, over the metal siding or your paint can bubble up.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
In a word- no. If you intend to change the outside paint color, wait on the roof color as the green you're thinking about would look like crap with a light tan roof or even the current roof color. Figure out what color you're going to paint the house first, then chose a roof color. My personal, I wouldn't put anything but an architectural shingle on it. It adds to the perceived value a lot and doesn't cost that much more. Most are a 30 year shingle so get the color right that you want to paint the house.

FWIW, the lighter the roofing color, the cheaper the utility bill will be as more heat is reflected off of the roof with a lighter color. Dark colors, like what you have now, are a known hot roof.
I’ve got to change the shingles very soon, since the existing ones are nearly 30 years old and there are numerous leaks. You’re right that the 3D shingles don’t cost that much more per bundle, BUT they require buying bundles of ridge cap shingles, which drive up the price a bit. I’m not using ridge vents since hurricanes tend to blow water into them. There’s also an addition on the rear of the house that has a fairly low pitch, and the 3 tabs seem to shed water better on a low pitch roof since they lay flatter.

I was thinking of something like Sherwin Williams 6178 ‘Clary Sage’ for the siding. What color roof do you think would go with that, maybe Weathered Gray?

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...ngColors&p=PS4

Old 07-08-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I found this article that says you can just clean it, and then apply a product to just restore the original siding. I think this is what I'd do:

https://www.everbritecoatings.com/siding.htm

I did Google how to paint over aluminum siding, and found an article that said that you need to use an oil based primer before painting with latex paint, over the metal siding or your paint can bubble up.
I think I remember reading that somewhere too, something about the latex reacting with the aluminum.

That EverBrite looks interesting and may be worth a shot, it can even be used on the aluminum bronze windows. I wonder if it’s just an acrylic, sort of like that stuff that shines old floors?

Old 07-08-2018, 11:00 AM

3,319 posts, read 5,527,139 times
Do not paint the siding unless you want to deal with peeling paint every few years.

I would go with a light (but not too light) roof. A too light roof will show stains. Maybe a gray or light brown?

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 07-08-2018 at 11:24 AM..

Old 07-08-2018, 11:07 AM

6,801 posts, read 10,432,510 times
I recommend the lightest shingle color you can get - they last longer and help keep your house cooler in summer. I've never heard of painting aluminum siding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House