Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 03:18 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times

Advertisements

I like Build.com. They've got plumbing, electrical, hardware and all kinds of other stuff. The prices, even with shipping considered, are very competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 03:58 PM

723 posts, read 571,110 times
I used IKEA cabinets throughout my kitchen and laundry room when I remodeled. The hardware/hinges are made in Germany, and the cabinets themselves have a 25 year warranty.

My then 12-yo son and I did all the demo, and I assembled and hung the cabinets together myself. This was in 2010, and they haven't fallen off the wall yet.
Hired out the plumbing, flooring, electrical and new countertops. Saved a ton.

Purists may sneer, but it works for me.

Last edited by OHNot4Me; 07-13-2018 at 04:25 PM..

Old 07-13-2018, 06:25 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
I've also had a very good experience with Ikea cabinets.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:58 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Another vote for build.com. They seem to have EVERYTHING.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:59 PM

503 posts, read 1,454,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Ask around for local sources...

When I was new to an area and really did not have a clue except for the big box stores along the interstate... my retired and long term resident neighbor was a wealth of information...

I quickly learned name dropping made the difference... needed gravel for the drive and had a hard time getting a price... and several said I would need to come to place an order...

Mentioned this to neighbor George and he said call Bill and he will fix you up... I called, but at first didn't mention George... Bill said he was not taking on new customers and was booked 7 weeks out.

Then I mentioned George and that I was his neighbor and I wanted to get a couple of yards for George for his kindness...

Trucker Bill said I can do it 8 am Saturday... and then the magic happened... on time... best price ever... and a handshake deal... said send me a check when I can...

Since then George has been a wealth of information... he must have been quite a guy to have so many in the trades think so highly of him at age 90.... tree guy, glass,, septic, etc...

And George won't take a penny for helping... just wants me to treat his guys right... so the extra 5 yards of crushed rock has been paid back in spades...

I had the grill going the day the trees guys were here... they couldn't have been happier and thanked George for the referral...
That is an awesome story! and yes sometimes name dropping really helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
If your kitchen is well preserved and in good shape, have you considered preserving it? The cabinets are probably as good as high-end new cabinets. (I realize I'm making a lot of assumptions...)

To answer your question, some items from Home Depot can certainly bought online, with free shipping. I recently had a lawn mower shipped to my front door for free.
Thanks, trying to avoid H.D.

I'll have to post pics of my cabinets Monday.

And now someone said if they are original from the 60's could tear the walls up removing them also. arrrghhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Consumer Reports has done some articles about kitchen renovation and even rated the kitchen cabinet makers.

Google is your friend. Look up "best kitchen cabinets". Try to find a good cabinet maker if you can afford custom.

Try Nextdoor in your neighborhood.
Thanks you! I like hitting them up for car info too

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I like Build.com. They've got plumbing, electrical, hardware and all kinds of other stuff. The prices, even with shipping considered, are very competitive.
I will keep that in mind, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
I used IKEA cabinets throughout my kitchen and laundry room when I remodeled. The hardware/hinges are made in Germany, and the cabinets themselves have a 25 year warranty.

My then 12-yo son and I did all the demo, and I assembled and hung the cabinets together myself. This was in 2010, and they haven't fallen off the wall yet.
Hired out the plumbing, flooring, electrical and new countertops. Saved a ton.

Purists may sneer, but it works for me.
Thats great! Yeh hubby will be doing most the work with me helping where I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I've also had a very good experience with Ikea cabinets.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Another vote for build.com. They seem to have EVERYTHING.
Thank you!

Old 07-15-2018, 01:39 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
I used Build.com for all of the doorknobs and hinges in my house. Also, the grate to put in the bottom of my Bianco silgranite sink. Be sure to go through Ebates when shopping at Build.com for cash back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House