U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2018, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Gallatin Valley
503 posts, read 1,363,773 times
Reputation: 444

Advertisements

My husband is handy and we have helped maintain houses we have rented for the past 14 years.


If we needed to fix something, we just hit up Home Depot or Lowes.

But now that we own, there will be alot more things that we will need to fix, and update over time.


Where we live now, we have a Home Depot, but not even a Lowes.


Where are some good places to go online besides the big box stores?


Next year we would like to update the kitchen. It is the original kitchen from 1960.

I am going to start looking online for cupboards/counters.

Any suggestions?

I usually don't shop for "cheapest", or "top of the line". I like to shop for the best quality/value for the money.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2018, 07:50 AM
 
11,249 posts, read 7,164,239 times
Reputation: 32056
Your local hardware store. A real hardware store, not HD.

Your local plumbing supply house. A real plumbing supply house, not HD.

Your local lumberyard. A real lumberyard, not HD.

Are you picking up a leitmotif here?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 08:06 AM
 
9,198 posts, read 5,853,450 times
Reputation: 19883
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Your local hardware store. A real hardware store, not HD.

Your local plumbing supply house. A real plumbing supply house, not HD.

Your local lumberyard. A real lumberyard, not HD.

Are you picking up a leitmotif here?
OP might live in an area far from stores. (See Gallatin reference.)

Where I live, the closest HD is 50+ miles away, and the closest Lowes farther than that.

I do buy many items from local hardware stores etc. Our GC sourced everything he could to help out his connections with the local providers. The results were, shall we say, a mixed bag. A blanket rule like “Buy local” can hurt the customer if he or she doesn’t look deeper than that and buy accordingly.

OP, start looking up specific categories online. For example, I recently found out that there is an entire company that specializes in hardware for drapes and curtains. Never knew there were other options besdies what the usual stores sell—either big box or small independent stores.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 08:19 AM
 
4,690 posts, read 9,415,962 times
Reputation: 14831
I'm also rural (50 miles to closest HD? How about 150 miles one way, and Lowes way further than that), local stores Are a mixed bag, but I *always* start with them. Examples like ordering a custom sized Douglas Fir wood entry door, where everyone I could find wanted $2k+ and the local hardware store got it for me at $800, are the reason why I start there. Cabinets are another, there are woodworkers everywhere, I've yet to need cabinets where even junky press-board stuff was cheaper than locally made out of actual wood (nicer grades of ply). Counters pretty much Have to be local, shipping is simply a killer there.



Now, fit and finish pieces? Yes, I do find those to be cheaper online. I've used Handlesets.com a couple times for door knobs and locks. House of antique hardware for all sorts of things (hinges, push plates, sash cord rollers, weather stripping, screen window hangers, etc...), though my house is a 1930 in the Tudor Revival style and this site caters to older homes with a definitive architectural style. 1960's may not have any real style to it, depending....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Gallatin Valley
503 posts, read 1,363,773 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
OP might live in an area far from stores. (See Gallatin reference.)

Where I live, the closest HD is 50+ miles away, and the closest Lowes farther than that.

I do buy many items from local hardware stores etc. Our GC sourced everything he could to help out his connections with the local providers. The results were, shall we say, a mixed bag. A blanket rule like “Buy local” can hurt the customer if he or she doesn’t look deeper than that and buy accordingly.

OP, start looking up specific categories online. For example, I recently found out that there is an entire company that specializes in hardware for drapes and curtains. Never knew there were other options besdies what the usual stores sell—either big box or small independent stores.
Yes we are still in Mt, but no longer in that valley. Thanks for the advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Gallatin Valley
503 posts, read 1,363,773 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Your local hardware store. A real hardware store, not HD.

Your local plumbing supply house. A real plumbing supply house, not HD.

Your local lumberyard. A real lumberyard, not HD.

Are you picking up a leitmotif here?
Thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can find.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Gallatin Valley
503 posts, read 1,363,773 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I'm also rural (50 miles to closest HD? How about 150 miles one way, and Lowes way further than that), local stores Are a mixed bag, but I *always* start with them. Examples like ordering a custom sized Douglas Fir wood entry door, where everyone I could find wanted $2k+ and the local hardware store got it for me at $800, are the reason why I start there. Cabinets are another, there are woodworkers everywhere, I've yet to need cabinets where even junky press-board stuff was cheaper than locally made out of actual wood (nicer grades of ply). Counters pretty much Have to be local, shipping is simply a killer there.



Now, fit and finish pieces? Yes, I do find those to be cheaper online. I've used Handlesets.com a couple times for door knobs and locks. House of antique hardware for all sorts of things (hinges, push plates, sash cord rollers, weather stripping, screen window hangers, etc...), though my house is a 1930 in the Tudor Revival style and this site caters to older homes with a definitive architectural style. 1960's may not have any real style to it, depending....
Thanks for the advice. $1,200 more for a tree. Wow!

Cabinets, that's what I need to figure out.

Our new next door neighbor has connections with the counter stuff, so I may have to ask him.

The tudor sounds nice.

Handlesets.com ~ I'll take a look thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 10:53 AM
 
27,909 posts, read 59,819,599 times
Reputation: 22761
Ask around for local sources...

When I was new to an area and really did not have a clue except for the big box stores along the interstate... my retired and long term resident neighbor was a wealth of information...

I quickly learned name dropping made the difference... needed gravel for the drive and had a hard time getting a price... and several said I would need to come to place an order...

Mentioned this to neighbor George and he said call Bill and he will fix you up... I called, but at first didn't mention George... Bill said he was not taking on new customers and was booked 7 weeks out.

Then I mentioned George and that I was his neighbor and I wanted to get a couple of yards for George for his kindness...

Trucker Bill said I can do it 8 am Saturday... and then the magic happened... on time... best price ever... and a handshake deal... said send me a check when I can...

Since then George has been a wealth of information... he must have been quite a guy to have so many in the trades think so highly of him at age 90.... tree guy, glass,, septic, etc...

And George won't take a penny for helping... just wants me to treat his guys right... so the extra 5 yards of crushed rock has been paid back in spades...

I had the grill going the day the trees guys were here... they couldn't have been happier and thanked George for the referral...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Youngstown, Oh.
5,233 posts, read 8,740,633 times
Reputation: 5173
If your kitchen is well preserved and in good shape, have you considered preserving it? The cabinets are probably as good as high-end new cabinets. (I realize I'm making a lot of assumptions...)

To answer your question, some items from Home Depot can certainly bought online, with free shipping. I recently had a lawn mower shipped to my front door for free.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
1,207 posts, read 1,144,264 times
Reputation: 1889
Consumer Reports has done some articles about kitchen renovation and even rated the kitchen cabinet makers.

Google is your friend. Look up "best kitchen cabinets". Try to find a good cabinet maker if you can afford custom.

Try Nextdoor in your neighborhood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top