Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 05:06 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Glue traps don't necessarily kill the mice; they can just stick on there and die slowly.

OP, there's a Hav-a-Hart trap you can get in most big hardware places. They have different sizes for different critters. You'll catch live mice, but they're in a cage (sort of) and you can let them go elsewhere if you're willing to go through all that. I was when I lived in an infested apartment.

There MIGHT be an exterminator in your area that has humane methods, but you'd have to ask around or call around to find out. Good luck.

I've caught a lot of mice in glue traps and they all died. If you trap and release, they'll just be a problem for someone else, so I consider that an irresponsible solution. Kill them and be done with them.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:12 PM

44 posts, read 30,044 times
OP, you can tell the exterminator not to use something like a glue trap. In fact, there are a lot of pest control techies who don't use them as a matter of principle, and stick to other traps (no pun intended). Anyone who uses those glue traps is an A-grade ****. Honestly. Why torture an animal painfully when you can be rid of it humanely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've caught a lot of mice in glue traps and they all died. If you trap and release, they'll just be a problem for someone else, so I consider that an irresponsible solution. Kill them and be done with them.
That's not what you've said before:
Quote:
I don't give a rodent's rectum about humane killing when it comes to mice. I use glue traps and when I ensnare one I set it out in the freezing cold to finish the little sob off.
Quote:
But I do check my traps frequently and when I catch a mouse I set the trap outside where the cold results in hypothermia finishing the critter off.
The OP is asking animal lovers for suggestions and is obviously trying to be humane about it, yet you are suggesting the most cruel animal trap in existence currently on the market. Others have noted how torturous they truly are. What the hell's the matter with you?

You really are a despicable human being.

Last edited by HenrySlu; 07-23-2018 at 06:30 PM..

Old 07-24-2018, 09:38 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
If you trap and release, they'll just be a problem for someone else, so I consider that an irresponsible solution. Kill them and be done with them.
Agree and taking it even further, with trap and release the potential exists for them to return to your premises unless you relocate them miles away. Either way with trap and release they WILL be a recurring problem for somebody, somewhere.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:40 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
I use glue traps and they work better than anything else I've tried.
A positive side benefit of the glue traps is that they will also catch crawling insects like ants and beetles among many other insects.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:09 AM

613 posts, read 944,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Actually I think they're on the inside, maybe in the attic...
I don't know if the OP is checking on this thread anymore, but obviously he/she needs to find out if mice are in the attic. Is the attic accessible? Seeing one mouse outdoors isn't by itself a reason to freak out, but may be a warning.

BTW, glue traps are horrible & inhumane. I used them 2 or 3 times years ago before I realized that. Then I discovered "Snap-E" mouse traps. They're reusable, but of course they kill the mouse, instantly. If you can't bear to kill pests in your house that are ruining it, I guess you just have to live with the damage. (or if they're in your garage, they can really do a # on your car--a mouse ate thru the gas line to the fuel tank a couple of years ago on my car, & they had to take out the back seat to get down to the gas tank). So I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/Snap-E-102-0-...rds=mouse+trap

Old 07-24-2018, 11:52 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,347 times
Thanks for replies everyone.

I ordered a bunch of stuff off Amazon - ultrasonic repellents, peppermint oil, catch and release traps and such. Having an exterminator come out today to see where they're hiding at. I told him I'll just pay him to install these humane repellents that I bought, and hopefully that will take care of the issue. Also, I'll try to borrow a cat and send her in the attic - hopefully the mice will get the message that they're not welcome in our house

Glad to see that there are people who don't want to torture the poor critter with things like glue traps.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:09 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Thumbs up Learn about rodent trapping from Shawn Woods

I've never had any luck with the non-lethal mouse control/repellent products.

Then I found Mousetrap Monday, and now I know why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOrWJJZXn3I

Old 07-24-2018, 01:00 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Females reproduce about every 90 days, think about that. Get a regular wood snap trap, add a dab of peanut butter, bamm that's it.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:39 PM

44 posts, read 30,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Females reproduce about every 90 days, think about that. Get a regular wood snap trap, add a dab of peanut butter, bamm that's it.
No issue if you live near the wilderness with plenty of natural predators about. One mouse isn't going to make an iota of difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
A positive side benefit of the glue traps is that they will also catch crawling insects like ants and beetles among many other insects.
Get it through your thick head: the OP didn't ask for things like glue traps. I know you don't give a **** and like to torture small, helpless animals, but most people don't.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:34 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I used a pair of these in the attic as I had maybe a dozen or so mice living up there when we first moved in. They would climb the side of the house up into the attic and next in the insulation in the winter

Worked quite well, but required me to go up every few days to empty the buckets. If you are trying to be humane, don't fill the bucket with water. Leave a little cap of water/food in the bottom, and check it frequently. Then stick a lid on the bucket and drive it out to your favorite woods and release.

I found the humane deterrents like scented bags and sonic repellents just weren't effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House