Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 02:57 PM

6 posts, read 5,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So why did you remove all the trees and bushes? That looked way better in your before picture. You could have just cut them back some.

Before I saw the before picture, I was going to suggest planting some bushes and flowers in front of the air conditioner -- include some tall and some low ones for interest. Use perennial flowering plants that are low maintenance. I would also plant a row of flowers and low bushes along that retaining wall leading up to the door -- on the lawn side of the wall.

Can't think of anything for the front door. Just the idea to try something quirky or unusual.
Many of them were sick. A few had started growing behind the siding and we ended up having to replace a bunch of pieces. We are for sure going to put plants in at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 02:59 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
It definitely looked better "before". You need to replace the landscaping with something similar that breaks up the lines of the house and screens the equipment.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:07 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Be modest with the landscaping. Maybe put it in over a couple of seasons so it doesn't get overgrown like it did before.

Also, not sure if there is better space in the back for this, but you can square off the area from the driveway retaining wall to make a front patio.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:07 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsarge View Post
Here's the house when we first got it:
Oy, you should have left the trees alone! It looked better before, at least from the outside.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:04 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
Looks like a great house with those views of the water. I’m guessing the backyard is where you spend most of your time, so I wouldn’t spend the money on a deck for the front. Landscaping is definitely the answer. I’m not gonna tell you what to do though, that’s my wife’s department. Drive through your neighborhood, and surrounding ones for ideas, you’ll find inspiration. I do think some sort of awning, and possibly a landing, for the front door would go along way. Painting the pipe is a no brainer. As for the windows and trim I personally like the white, I think it looks sharp with the grey.

Whatever you do, take your time, the house isn’t going anywhere. Good luck, and please update us with your progress.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:58 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,292,680 times
You may think this is crazy.

I would do some sort of rock path to the door or even bring in a couple of big rocks for looks. Then to the right of the first window, you need some attractive trees and other landscaping to make the area look more lush and camouflage the side of the house. I don't know if your area has rocks. (Some don't.) I love the natural look particularly near a lake.

If you look at this link, there is a green house in the the middle second picture down that has a wood entry into the house. Timber Frame Entryways Ignore the rest of the house in the picture, but what about replacing the door you have and adding a nicer door that is more of a focal point? Build some sort of structure with a peak and some wood detail like that entry over the door that draws your eye. That picture is just for shape. I think you could downplay the rest of the roof line if you have the right landscaping.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:02 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsarge View Post
Here's the house when we first got it:
You were allowed to cut those trees that close to the lake? Here you could but you'd have to replant enough to equal the caliper of those cut.

You need to break up that flat wall.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:22 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
It definitely looked better "before". You need to replace the landscaping with something similar that breaks up the lines of the house and screens the equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Oy, you should have left the trees alone! It looked better before, at least from the outside.
Ditto.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:23 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
1. Paint the sidelights to match the door to give it more presence.

2. Maybe put some stone around the bottom of the house and wrapping the corners? Like this: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-23258?view=qv Maybe even a wide stone thingie right in the middle going all the way up the wall as an accent feature, sort of simulating a chimney. Of course, there's that stupid a/c unit. Which brings me to:

3. Could the stupid a/c unit be moved to the far right corner of the house? Is that sort of thing done?

4. Really no need crying over spilled milk, I guess, but I would have at least left the tree in the foreground. Unless it was closer to the house than it looked.

5. The "rainy day shelter" is going to be tough, with that low eave. I'm sure an architect could solve the problem, though. Or Pinterest. lol

I love little "modern" lake houses like that. Congratulations on your new home, and I hope you really enjoy it!

Old 07-24-2018, 10:12 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,949 times
Great location. Beautiful house.

Yeah, I can see how the landscaping would be overgrown into the siding.

Maybe you don't want too much landscaping close to the house if it would block much needed light. Or maybe the back is all glass already. At any rate, landscaping will grow quickly with water and humidity.

For rain protection. How about recessing the front door? Instead of adding in front of it. Indoors that would then create a sort of shelf space overhead for something decorative and nautical.

In front I like the idea of painting that piping the color of the house, too.

You could do a deck from the left of the two windows on the right all across the house to your front walk with steps down to the walk. Or how about a less wide deck just in front of the piping and what looks like a compressor. Maybe grey floor. It could be freestanding but close to the house. I second a trellis screen at the compressor area, not to cute it up but to make it disappear more...maybe the house color...and easy hinged opening. And a path to the front walkway.

Any deck could have as much of a screened, roofed area as you like.

You could landscape around the deck. The more deck, the less mowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House