Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 09:19 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Prior to my current desk job, I worked for a large telephone company burying service lines. In sodded lawns, I was blown away when I saw how most grass never grew roots and anchored to the underlying soil. Months (if not a full year) later, you could still see the seams Ditch Witch (410SX, look it up)[/url] would curl and lift each piece as we buried the line. We'd only be able to run the machine in a straight line, right on a seam, and have to hand dig the corners with one of these: Ditch Witch
Complete lack of soil preparation. You can't just throw sod on nasty, poor, hard dirt and expect it to do well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 09:36 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
What?

Have you been reading this thread?
If you live in an area with plenty of rain, something grows on that dirt. If you live near other people in a neighborhood, it should probably be grass. It's a lot less work than establishing ground cover. Ask me how how I know that.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:17 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
When I had a 3bd/2ba house on 1/2 acre to myself, I HATED my lawn. Always getting fined by the township because I didn't want to waste my weekends spending 4 hours cutting my grass. I was very close to having the entire acre paved with concrete.

It was one of the things that made me never want a house again and a big proponent of why I hate suburban/rural style living.
What did you get fined for?

I hate the idea of the monthly fee, but I do attest that in every unmanaged housing development, there's always the one household with the overgrown grass, 6 broken down cars, and neglected dog chained up outside.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:00 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
BS.

Back when I originally xeriscaped my yard in the early 2000s, I was a college student making about $12,000 a year.
Ummmmmm

Plants trees bushes mulch boulders and rocks plus labor is cheap huh?

Old 08-01-2018, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Did you read my question?

You say lawns are a waste of time and money, but you also said xeriscaping costs too much. I'll ask again: what landscaping method do you advocate for? This isn't a "gotcha" question, I'm actually asking you what you think should be done with all of the American lawns out there.
Costs too much as in never ending maintenance.

What is the cost of the southwest’s rock lawns and a couple cacti?

Didn’t mean to be snippy.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:41 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Costs too much as in never ending maintenance.

What is the cost of the southwest’s rock lawns and a couple cacti?

Didn’t mean to be snippy.
It definitely depends on location and what you mean by "lawn". I've lived in Ohio and Pennsylvania, and you can get away with the initial purchase of a mower and weed whacker (maybe $300 combined) and one jug of weed spray a year for the especially bad weeds (and just mow over the run of the mill weeds). No watering is really needed. You might occasionally have to re-seed an area that sees a lot of foot traffic or a dog peed on it or something. The gas for the small yards I've had has run like 2-3 gallons a year.

I can't speak to southwest xeriscaping, but the parts of the lawn that I transformed into garden beds definitely cost me more at least in regard to time, but probably money also. Keeping a garden bed looking acceptable is a lot more work than just mowing everything down.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:48 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
It definitely depends on location and what you mean by "lawn". I've lived in Ohio and Pennsylvania, and you can get away with the initial purchase of a mower and weed whacker (maybe $300 combined) and one jug of weed spray a year for the especially bad weeds (and just mow over the run of the mill weeds). No watering is really needed. You might occasionally have to re-seed an area that sees a lot of foot traffic or a dog peed on it or something. The gas for the small yards I've had has run like 2-3 gallons a year.
Even cheaper than what you quoted. You can get a Poulan 20" Push Mower at Walmart for $120. I just bought a BLACK+DECKER LST420 20V MAX Lithium High Performance Trimmer and Edger for $95 and a Sun Joe 7.2-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Grass Shear/Hedge Trimmer for $42. You can get by with one or the other. A lot of people never use weed killer, fertilizer, or water their grass. You might need a little more than 2-3 gallons of gas a year depending on how many times you mow.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:02 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
If you're willing to water it, the lush green is a beautiful color and makes a house look more attractive. It's relaxing and peaceful to see the colors of nature. It looks better than someone who put rocks in that space or cemented the whole space.

I live in California, and we're always in a drought every few years, and I don't want to use water when it's unnecessary anyway, so that's why my lawn is dead, brown, and full of weeds. We mow over the weeds so it's not as noticeable. Until someone complains, I'm not willing to spend the money to replace it with something else (not another lawn).

Old 08-02-2018, 04:27 AM

Quote:

I can't speak to southwest xeriscaping, but the parts of the lawn that I transformed into garden beds definitely cost me more at least in regard to time, but probably money also. Keeping a garden bed looking acceptable is a lot more work than just mowing everything down.
Well I don’t know what the problem is. Maybe the builder put a thin layer of dirt down

But still. Voles moles grubs weeds.

If no rain for 5 weeks then watering is $$$

Old 08-02-2018, 07:11 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Well I don’t know what the problem is. Maybe the builder put a thin layer of dirt down

But still. Voles moles grubs weeds.

If no rain for 5 weeks then watering is $$$
No argument there. We simply don't have "no rain for 5 weeks" situations here in Ohio and Pennsylvania. And even if we do get a dry spell, it's not accompanied by the sort of blistering heat you get in the southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House