Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 07:47 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Complete lack of soil preparation. You can't just throw sod on nasty, poor, hard dirt and expect it to do well.
We have rock hard clay for ground. It is literally pottery clay. we had a bonfire to burn up some brush and stumps in the front yard before we had grass, and ended up with a giant clay pot where the fire was. The pot was pretty simlar to those red clay pots you sometimes get plants in.

We put in about an inch of compost and mixed it in a little. That was not enough. Probably needed to mix in three or six inches.

The "lawn" is there, but it is fragile. Weeds grow much better than grass. Heavy rain turns it into a sticky marsh that you cannot walk on for a day. Dry times wipe it out. We are getting more and more worms and night-crawlers. There once was none, now you cannot dig a shovel scoop without finding a half dozen. We are told they will eventually break down the hard clay into decent soil, not sure I will still be alive by then, but someday our house may have a decent lawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 12:29 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
No argument there. We simply don't have "no rain for 5 weeks" situations here in Ohio and Pennsylvania. And even if we do get a dry spell, it's not accompanied by the sort of blistering heat you get in the southwest.
I’m in IL but yes all true

Old 08-03-2018, 12:54 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We love our lawn. It’s lush and green and smells good when dh mows it. We never water it because it was chosen to be suitable to our climate. Here is coastal Georgia we have centipede. The only downside is that it goes dormant in the fall, so turns tan.

Mr. GA loves to mow it, trim it and fuss with it. It keeps him busy.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:01 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
I personally can’t think of anything lamer and more of a waste of time than a lawn. Nothing screams “suburban mediocrity” like a big green carpet of grass, wasting space and accomplishing nothing. Presumably some nostalgia item like white picket fences (also hideous!) that makes people think of some bygone era. I really hate lawns. Rip it out and replace it with xeriscape or something useful like a pool, concrete pad with a fire pit, hot tub, something that doesn’t just eat time and money with no return or use to it.

I’m concerned for your creativity and use of free time if you enjoy mowing a lawn to “keep you busy.” Really?! There’s nothing better you could imagine doing?!

Old 08-04-2018, 06:05 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I personally can’t think of anything lamer and more of a waste of time than a lawn. Nothing screams “suburban mediocrity” like a big green carpet of grass, wasting space and accomplishing nothing. Presumably some nostalgia item like white picket fences (also hideous!) that makes people think of some bygone era. I really hate lawns. Rip it out and replace it with xeriscape or something useful like a pool, concrete pad with a fire pit, hot tub, something that doesn’t just eat time and money with no return or use to it.

I’m concerned for your creativity and use of free time if you enjoy mowing a lawn to “keep you busy.” Really?! There’s nothing better you could imagine doing?!
Don’t hold back Jonathan.
To each his own, I guess. What you describe sounds about as appealing as the surface of the moon, to me.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:38 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:

Kinda rude.

Personally I think sitting like a zombie playing videogames in a dark room is about as banal and wasteful as possible.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:57 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:

I had to laugh. What screams “suburban mediocrity,” and eats time and money with no return or use to it more than a hot tub?

But I have to admit, when I see someone mowing a postage stamp lawn with a riding mower, that does scream “suburban mediocrity.”

Old 08-06-2018, 06:48 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Rip it out and replace it with xeriscape or something useful like a pool, concrete pad with a fire pit, hot tub, something that doesn’t just eat time and money with no return or use to it.
Haha, usually the suggestions are more environmental or of the "food not lawns!" variet. But a concrete pad? That really takes the cake!

Old 08-06-2018, 10:51 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I had to laugh. What screams “suburban mediocrity,” and eats time and money with no return or use to it more than a hot tub?

But I have to admit, when I see someone mowing a postage stamp lawn with a riding mower, that does scream “suburban mediocrity.”
I'd pay less for a home with a hot tub or pool. Maintenance money pits is all they are to me. If I want to swim I'll use the local pool. That's kind of how I feel about decks too but my house came with a small one. I'd rather have a concrete pad. Cheaper and less maintenance.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:21 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I'd pay less for a home with a hot tub or pool. Maintenance money pits is all they are to me. If I want to swim I'll use the local pool. That's kind of how I feel about decks too but my house came with a small one. I'd rather have a concrete pad. Cheaper and less maintenance.
Thanks for reminding me that I need to stain my deck this summer. The stain completely disappears and I'll have to do it again in two years.

A pool would be a novelty for a summer, assuming we had enough days to use it. After that, the maintenance would not be worth it.

I have no use for hot tubs. It's like taking a bath with someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House