Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 08:07 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,253,478 times

Advertisements

Was hot and dry for weeks here. Lawn got brown and crunchy. I was in heaven. No mowing. My 2 neighbors across the street are obsessed with their lawns and mow them constantly. One even mowed it two days in a row recently. I guess it wasn't quite short enough for him. But then he runs sprinklers twice a day, so that it grows lush and green so he can... mow it some more. Color me perplexed. But to each his own.

Lots in my neighborhood are large. Ours is one of the smaller lots at 2/3 of an acre. I refer to mowing it with a mulching push mower as "my gym membership". It kills a good portion of a weekend mowing it. So brown and crunchy grass makes my heart sing.

Used to have lawn guys do my lawn. But I got tired of them mowing down stuff I repeatedly told them to leave alone (my spearmint patch!) and they destroyed anything and everything with their string trimmers. I had to replace every window well cover and plastic flower pot because they all had cracks and holes from the trimmers. So I grumble and do the lawn myself and get a little exercise. All while fantasizing how my next house will have a smaller yard. Maybe no grass at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 08:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Just got the highest water bill I've ever gotten - or seen.

Oh well, we love our lawn so we'll pay it and just drive on.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:02 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Or, embrace high-rise or condo living! I miss my apartment with balcony. If I could live in a complex with a swimming pool that would be ideal. No snow to shovel, no lawn to mow.

I agree! I miss my condo with it's pool and somebody else keeping the lawn up. I've about given up on my yard. I moved in last October and it had been sadly neglected by the previous owner for over 10 years. From advice I've gotten on here I have to wait till it's cooler (Lord knows when they will be) to do some serious weed treatments and try and grow decent grass. I plant flowers that either get too much rain or not enough. Even my small trees are not looking good despite the care I am giving them. The only thing I like about my lawn is I have a dog now. I would never want one in a condo if I had to walk it numerous times a day.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:13 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,799,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Yeah!!

C-D is reserving the following threads for you when you get there:

My Dumb American Cactus™

My Dumb American Lawn is full of Sand and Scorpions™

I Am Miserable and Hot on My Dumb American Lawn™
Hahahahahahahahahaha. And completely true.

He creates thread after thread on the same few subjects shooting down every idea or suggestion. If you just want to vent, C-D blog feature this way——————->

Old 07-27-2018, 10:04 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
One problem where I live is it seems like every few years we get another exotic invasive weed from Asia or South America. Sure, you can use a lot of herbicides to control them, but then it gets in the soil and affects the trees and shrubs.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:57 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,118,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
As a golfer, I love lawns. Had blue grass in north, bermuda in south. Always managed myself.

A little reading will make you more efficient and effective in managing lawn. Otherwise, you will be throwing money and time away. Contrary to common beliefs, healthy lawns don't require much water, fertilizer, mowing, herbicide.

Here's another tip. If you see a neighbor with a nice lawn, ask how they manage. They are probably proud of their lawns and share their knowledge with you.

Good luck
A $500 dollar water bill that’s how. And moving the freaking hoses everywhere every day.

No thanks

Old 07-30-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
Move to Arizona put it all into rock...Why would you buy a place with a lawn if you hate so bad....
Not living in a townhouse. Not living in cramped quarters. Needed to spend 280k in 2014 to have a somewhat neighborhood

Old 07-30-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
If it's the best financial option, then wouldn't that mean that lawns are not a waste of money?
What?

Have you been reading this thread?

Old 07-30-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Yeah!!

C-D is reserving the following threads for you when you get there:

My Dumb American Cactusâ„¢

My Dumb American Lawn is full of Sand and Scorpionsâ„¢

I Am Miserable and Hot on My Dumb American Lawnâ„¢
Love it!!!

LOL!!

Old 07-30-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I'm not a landscaper, but I'm curious if the water bill could be kept under control by using irrigation systems like drip lines instead of sprinklers where so much can evaporate before getting absorbed?
No clue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House