Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 10:06 AM

14,416 posts, read 11,954,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I consider those types of signs to be littering, so I snag them when I can and throw them into the recycle. We have Zillow, Trulia, and Redfin now, among others. There's no need for signs everywhere other than the traditional one located directly on the property being sold.

I also disagree with the poster above me. Real estate agents are almost always in the wrong in this regard and they have no right to use other people's property, including commercial property (which many people erroneously believe to be public space) to post these signs without asking.

You are right... we don't have the right to put signs anywhere... we should be smart about where we put them, and ask permission if we aren't sure.

But you don't have any Zillow or Trulia signs. Those aren't brokerages. They have no agents.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:48 PM

7,399 posts, read 4,622,034 times
The OP may think it is his/her property (and hence thinks he/she could gain from it) but that does not mean it's his/hers. Only your property is your property.

Corner lot owners have a tendency to think their property is bigger than what it really is. Understandable though. But claiming the community easement as your own is different.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:59 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,412,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
But claiming the community easement as your own is different.
Clearly the Realtor had no problem doing that.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:55 PM

7,678 posts, read 5,414,240 times
This belongs in the Real Estate Forum, not the House forum.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:13 PM

22,629 posts, read 24,486,042 times
Sales-people of all types are generally not know for being bashful when trying to make a sale.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:26 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,259,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
This belongs in the Real Estate Forum, not the House forum.
Why? This thread is about property rights/property lines. It has nothing to do with buying/selling property.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:36 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,590,461 times
The easement property is still your property. The City or county just has certain rights to use it for specified purposes. Your use of the property is restricted to the extent that use conflicts with the City's easement, but otherwise, it is yours. You pay taxes on it, you might be responsible for mowing and maintaining it. You may be liable if someone gets hurt there, you can be allowed to plant what you want there as long as it does not interfere or conflict with the City or county rights. The scope of the easement and the rights and liabilities it transfers vary with the municipality and with the terms of individual easements. In many instances trees in the easement are considered the municipalities property, while trash in the same easement is your responsibility. Even that depends on the location though. In some subdivisions the streets are not even city or county property. It all belongs to the HOA and is their responsibility. There are even locations where the road belongs to the homeowners and it is their responsibility to maintain the portion of the road that is on their property.

Unless putting up signs by residents or non-resident real estate agents is a permitted use, they are trespassing if they put the sign on your property, whether the local municipality has an easement for other uses of that property is irrelevant.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:53 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,940,648 times
Any sign or any other item placed would be put in the trash immediately...When they pay my taxes and maintain the lot, then perhaps I'd be open to talking about a sign being placed...

Old 08-04-2018, 05:29 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,654,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
Any sign or any other item placed would be put in the trash immediately...When they pay my taxes and maintain the lot, then perhaps I'd be open to talking about a sign being placed...
Exactly.

No sign has been placed there since, so perhaps they got the hint.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:18 AM

7,678 posts, read 5,414,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Why? This thread is about property rights/property lines. It has nothing to do with buying/selling property.
Hmmm.... The Real Estate agent put a Real Estate sign on the wrong property, but it was still a Real Estate sign.

Here's the first post:

"Am I crazy, or isn't it just common courtesy (not to mention proper RE Agent etiquette) to ask permission before you place a sign in someone else's yard?

I live on a corner lot, sure enough there was a sign placed there yesterday for the house down the street that is going on the market. Quickly to the trash it went. If another one goes there and I don't catch him/her in the act I'm going to raise hell with the agency.

If they want to give me $100 out of their commission check, sure, you can use my land.

Just rubbed me the wrong way; no notice, no asking permission.

Wondering if anyone has any similar stories, etc.

I'm not a realtor but I would for sure ask a homeowner first before I did that.
"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.