Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 08:20 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,688,924 times

Advertisements

So, I bought a home late last year and intend to do some cleanup of the landscaping beds and I've thought about using some low maintenance plants and mulch in the beds to keep the weeds out and to keep it low maintenance. These beds come right up against the house, which is brick veneer with a crawl space foundation.

One thing that I've read repeatedly in researching this is that homeowners are discouraged from putting mulch right up against their house, as some of the pest/termite experts say that mulch encourages moisture, which termites need to survive. At the same time, I drive around my neighborhood and around neighborhoods all over my city and I see landscaping beds with mulch that touches the exterior of the house. So, either all of these homeowners think that mulch isn't a big attractant at all of termites or they just make a decision to roll the dice and accept whatever happens.

So, will putting mulch in a landscaping bed that touches the side of crawlspace foundation attract termites? Should I absolutely avoid allowing mulch to touch the side of the house/foundation and do a small rock barrier around the edge of the house instead? I prefer the look of mulch to rocks but I don't want to be foolish and invite termites in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 08:50 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
It can. It's also flammable, so it be a problem if you have smokers who are careless tossing cigarettes or like to put out their cigars in the mulch.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:31 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
If we put mulch up against the house foundation here we have to write it up on the termite report as conducive conditions for termites. I don't suggest it although there are mulches out there that are not wood based. You can get colored mulch made from recycled tires these days. Moisture is not the what the mortgage companies are worried about, it's the wood laid on the ground that draws the termites to the house.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:43 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Let's first establish what type of mulch are you referring too?

Then, let's establish grade- yes; it matters. Is there good drainage all the way around the house? Is the crawl dry?

Your main observance will be looking for tubes- both inside and outside the foundation.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:24 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,688,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
If we put mulch up against the house foundation here we have to write it up on the termite report as conducive conditions for termites. I don't suggest it although there are mulches out there that are not wood based. You can get colored mulch made from recycled tires these days. Moisture is not the what the mortgage companies are worried about, it's the wood laid on the ground that draws the termites to the house.

A lot of what I have read online is that it is not the wood itself in the mulch that attracts termites but rather than the moisture trapped in the mulch that attracts the termites. Termites apparently need two things to survive: a moist environment and the wood that they feed on. The mulch outside would apparently provide the moisture part but the fear is that the wood on the exterior & interior of the house would become the food part.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
You can use recycled tire (rubber) mulch, that won't attract them. Here we don't have termites, but wood mulch can attract carpenter ants. We keep it away from the house.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:57 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Location matters. The further South you go, the more you don't want to have mulch against/around your foundation. Up North, the freezing winter cold helps to minimize the termite threat, but not eliminate it.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:50 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Depending on the type you use, yes it can. Also a home caught on fire here in my town from mulch a few weeks back. Not sure what type they used though.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:53 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We are in the Deep South, and use wood mulch. Mulch or no mulch, we have to be diligent in watching for termites. Mulch won’t CAUSE termites. At worst it might keep you from noticing them right away.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:47 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Yes it does. I've found termites in my mulch beds near the house.

I don't view it as a negative because if I know where the termites are feeding, I can treat the area with the appropriate chemicals to eliminate the entire colony. (which I've done with rather good results)

Now if I knew they were feeding in my mulch beds and did nothing...then that's a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House