Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 02:49 PM

13 posts, read 11,769 times

Advertisements

Just purchased a home and the owners left a flea problem in one of the spare bedrooms. Orkin will be doing a full treatment of the home, a follow up treatment next month, and additional treatments every 2 months for one year. A contractor is scheduled to pull up the carpet and do work after the 1st treatment. Any suggestions of any other things I should think about because I have a doggy and don't want to bring him into the home with any problems.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 03:48 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
You're going to be living with a lot of chemicals and pesticide. Much more than you need.

I would have bombed the home once, perhaps twice a few weeks later to get any new egg hatch, and then call it good, and do whatever flea and tick treatment you usually do to prevent fleas on your dog going forward.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:20 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,621,189 times
Years ago my house got infested with fleas. That was miserable, I was getting bit everywhere. I would walk across the carpet in the living room and I could see them biting me in the ankles. I washed my sheets and blankets but they were still attacking me in bed. I was losing sleep bad, the only place in the house that didn't have fleas was the bathroom, so I slept in the bathtub. A friend told me to get some Borax laundry detergent and spread it all around the house and wait 24 hours. It worked, no more fleas. I then vacuumed up all the detergent and shampooed the carpet. My Hell was over.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:18 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geranium86 View Post
Just purchased a home and the owners left a flea problem in one of the spare bedrooms. Orkin will be doing a full treatment of the home, a follow up treatment next month, and additional treatments every 2 months for one year. A contractor is scheduled to pull up the carpet and do work after the 1st treatment. Any suggestions of any other things I should think about because I have a doggy and don't want to bring him into the home with any problems.

Thanks!
Bless your little heart. Read the sticky at the top of the forum, cancel Orkin, and live flea free without chemicals that can turn your kids into aliens.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:13 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
The Orrin route is a toxic disaster.

Flea bipomds, diatomaceous earth, lots of vacuuming, another round of flea bombs in a couple of weeks, done.

Make sure any pets are flea treated as well.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Get Revolution for the dog, put diatomaceous earth down, vacuum a lot, you are good to go. Do not do that Orkin stuff.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I'd personally go through with the professional treatment, and also treat my dog with flea medicine. That should nip it in the bud.

I'd do the professional treatment, simply to save my dog from being bitten so much. When you treat your dog with flea medicine like Advantage or Trifexis, when a flea bites the dog, it then dies. The problem is, that in the meantime, your dog is dealing with itchy flea bites, until all of the fleas are dead.

So, I'd rather deal with any effects of a professional treatment that killed as many of the fleas as possible, so my poor dog didn't have to be bitten so much in order to kill whatever fleas were there.

Then, just treat your dog monthly for fleas. I use Trifexis for my dog, which also covers heartworm and other worms. Our flea season has just started tapering off for now, so my dog isn't picking up as many fleas during our walks. But, I think it's worth treating your dog regularly, just so that if any flea does happen to bite, it's never going to do it again.

I hate using chemicals, but I remember the days before there were treatments like Advantage, etc., and it was total misery. It was nearly impossible to keep fleas from infesting your homes. So, as imperfect as they are, they are still better than dealing with what would happen without them, in my opinion.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:06 AM

1,066 posts, read 629,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Get Revolution for the dog, put diatomaceous earth down, vacuum a lot, you are good to go. Do not do that Orkin stuff.

This is all you need, let the pet be the bomb with revolution, and the earth stuff down. thats it.
we had a flea infested house, I got revolution for my cat, few weeks in, they was all dead, they would jump on cat as it walked around house and die.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:54 AM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times
When I was a kid we had a cat and had fleas in the basement. We tried bombs and that didn't work. I took a can of Raid down and gave it a good spray and we never had a problem after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House