Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 07:49 PM

621 posts, read 1,123,961 times

Advertisements

Minisplits are expensive to install, difficult to maintain, costly to repair, and have longer down time when they do go down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 08:08 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Ok, now cheapo wall AC-units are bad or something else is wrong with them?

Aren't those split-systems quite spendy and complicated to install?

Old 08-13-2018, 09:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
Minisplits are expensive to install, difficult to maintain, costly to repair, and have longer down time when they do go down.
The ones I see on eBay come precharged and are diy.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:47 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Ok, now cheapo wall AC-units are bad or something else is wrong with them?

Aren't those split-systems quite spendy and complicated to install?
Very expensive compared to a window AC unit.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:39 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
That’s true, though interestingly how those places such as Latin America with considerably lower per capita income seem to have much more penetration of these units which costs a few times more than window A/Cs.

Interestingly I notice there are quite a number of high rise condos i.e Capri by the sea in San Diego which have no air ducts nor any built in provisions for heating or cooling. It is not possible to install window A/C units in this building as all outside “windows” of this building are essentially floor to ceiling sliding glass doors in front of balconies. Therefore the only practical option to get a/c and heat to these kind of buildings would be to install such mini split systems. Currently residents and folks staying there depend on electric fan space heaters.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 08-14-2018 at 12:10 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 04:53 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
I have really been impressed with ours, not gonna lie. So this house, I guess par for the course in my market, $500K home (I was the 2nd owner just 9 months after construction; family had to relocate for a job), we love the layout and it was the perfect house for us at the time, contemporary and all of that, but I perpetually joke about how mediocre their construction standards were. Everything they could cheap out on, they did, from plastic toilet handles that don't even match the faucets (I replaced them all with matching ones for $2.97 each at Home Depot, seriously...) to not painting the garage white and leaving it this ugly drywall ("oh that's just the norm now" -- don't care, it's not the norm when you're charging a half-mil for a house, sorry, that's ridiculous). So in their amazing attempt to save as much money as possible and cheap out wherever they could, they only ducted the top 2 floors and left the daylight basement without anything but a cadet heater. They even put a stupid cadet heater in the bathroom near the entrance to the house, because apparently that's code for each room to have heating or something, and they couldn't duct the room (pretty stupid since that bathroom will just be whatever temperature the rest of the house is, anyway).

So in the basement, I wanted temperature control for all seasons and ducting it wasn't much of an option. Not enough ceiling height, for one, and running ducts along the side of the house or some weird thing like that wouldn't be a good option for efficiency or even aesthetics. We went with a mini-split, I think it was around $5,000 but it was part of a much larger bid for the whole house's HVAC systems, and it has been fantastic. It's extremely quiet, it does a fantastic job keeping the temperature where I want it, and that's also our workout room partially, so I can cool it quickly when I'm working out. I was a bit skeptical at first because of the look of the unit on the wall, but that side, it's the most energy efficient thing you can buy, about a 30 SEER rating, even our top-of-the-line Trane XVi system is 22 SEER I believe, so it's great but not competitive with the ductless unit.

Our next house will be a lot higher quality, and all central or I won't buy it, but if I ever was talking to a friend about this kind of situation I would strongly recommend a ductless mini-split any day!

Old 08-14-2018, 07:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Interesting conversation! We just had an energy audit done on our 2000 sqft 2 bd house. It has 2 Heat Pump package units on the roof 4 and 2 ton. The first thing the guy said was that the package units were old and not as efficient as they should/could be.

He suggested going to 2 Mini Splits with I/R capability. He said if we just replaced the 2 ton with one Mini with I/R it'd reduce our electric bill quite a bit and is really efficient as it constantly scans the area looking for hot spots and then aims the fins toward those spots.

Food for thought, gotta look into those units to see if they're actually worth it and if they really perform...

Old 08-14-2018, 12:28 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
They are? Huh, that's amazing, and to think they have been installed in most of the rest of the world for years. I learn something everyday.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:45 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
I don't have AC. It's not worth the money for such a short term solution. Fossil fuels deplete and energy prices rise.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
I don't have AC. It's not worth the money for such a short term solution. Fossil fuels deplete and energy prices rise.
They've been saying that for at least 50 years that within 10-20 years we'd be out of oil. How's that been working out?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House