Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 12:14 PM

40 posts, read 62,575 times

Advertisements

Rekeying the locks in our house to match a new lock (which is actually a fun DIY task), and I was thinking about how many copies to get made.

The keys that came with the lock have a code stamped on them that tells you which pins to use -- this makes rekeying the other locks to match easy, but then I wonder if it's not a great idea to carry those everyday. Anyone who has a chance to borrow for a minute or glance at any of our keys could note the code and get a new key made from it.

It seems a little safer to stash the originals away and only carry copies without the code on them -- yes, someone can still take an imprint or something, but that at least takes a bit more work and access. I have to get copies made anyway, so it's basically an additional $3 for 2 more copies.

Overly paranoid or cautiously secure? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 12:21 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Depends on how you treat your keys. My wife has one with the codes, but it shares the ring with only a car key, which lives in her hand-bag when away from hoe (keyless car thingy). Work keys are on a different setup ~ the only time the house key is visible, is when it's in her hand for use to get in/out of the house.

Mine is the same, 1 car and 1 house key, no others. They live in my left front pocket when not in use (normal car key ignition), so who's going to see it?

We've both made a conscious effort to minimize the junk we haul around with us, and that doesn't seem to be normal. Most pople I see have every key they've ever had in their entire life, all on one massive ball of keys. But even then, a code on One of them? Take a lot of luck that someone would be in the right place at the right time with the right knowledge and intent. Stupidly easy to guard against though, so why add the risk...

Old 08-16-2018, 02:12 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Most pople I see have every key they've ever had in their entire life, all on one massive ball of keys. But even then, a code on One of them? Take a lot of luck that someone would be in the right place at the right time with the right knowledge and intent. Stupidly easy to guard against though, so why add the risk...
My dad went beyond this. He had multiple key sets he'd hand out to visiting kids of course, but he wasn't satisfied with only giving them the keys they might realistically need. I used to think if he ever fell off a dock he'd sink right to the bottom because of all the keys he insisted on carrying around. If all of us had the bad luck to stand on the same dock at the same time we'd collapse it and ALL head to the bottom.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:18 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Overly paranoid. No one ever sees my house key. We have four vehicles, so car keys are separate from the house keyring. So the house keyring never leaves my possession. A more plausible scenario for those who have all their keys on one keyring is for a criminal to have access to your house key while your car is being serviced. You don't even need the code. Gauges that allow you to determine pin size are readily available. I have one for Schlage and Kwikset, which account for most of the locksets out there. A lot of the off-brand cheapies have keys that are patterned after those two. So don't overthink this one. When all else fails, criminals will just break and enter. And don't be surprised if an app that uses the camera function to decode pin size isn't already available. If there isn't one yet, there will be one at some point.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:17 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times
I prefer a key pad lock, yes it uses keys but we never take them . We use the keypad to enter the house , this saves on carrying more keys.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:32 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
All of our external doors have the same key.

We each have a key in our car.

Can't tell you the last time we used them. Normally we drive in, put up the garage door, and drive in. Should the power go out, we would have the key available in the car to let ourselves in.

Now, the fail safe is that the house is alarmed, so anyone stealing a car, getting the key and letting themselves in would be in for a hellacious welcome.

Don't overthink it. Anyone wanting in will be in in a flash; key or no key; alarm or no alarm.

Do whatever makes you feel "comfortable".

Old 08-17-2018, 12:54 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
I prefer a key pad lock, yes it uses keys but we never take them . We use the keypad to enter the house , this saves on carrying more keys.

I've been using those for years. Never a single problem with them. I have a deadbolt version on the front door and a passage lock version for the door leading in from the garage. Definitely the way to go. Also makes it easy for guests and domestic staff. Everyone gets their own code and it's erased when they no longer need access.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:56 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
I have a keypad entry on all exterior doors of my house, so I just punch in the number and don't need to carry a house key.

My car has push button ignition, but I do need to carry the key fob.

I agree with Ted Bear's post above - - if somebody wants to get into your house, chances are they'll just break a window and go right on in. They usually don't take the time to mess around with keys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House