Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 06:57 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
This may be the wrong sub forum for this question, and I apologize, I looked through all the forums and couldn't find anything that really had to do with neighborhoods and neighbor relations.

I live in an old city neighborhood, and in a neighborhood nestled between two decently busy city streets. My street is mostly quiet, we will occasionally get a random car that cuts through my neighborhood and goes down my street at a high rate of speed to get to the other busy street. I can't stop these people, they're going to speed and drive recklessly because they don't care, and they don't live here. It's not an all too common occurrence, just enough to occasionally annoy me.

Earlier today one of my neighbors who lives about 6 houses down, turned onto my street and completely floored his GMC SUV until he came up on his house, upon which he promptly jumped on the brakes. I don't have a radar gun, but I can estimate speeds, and he was likely going between 40-50MPH down a street where the speed limit is 25. I have never formally met this neighbor, I have seen him walking to and from his car on occasion when I drive by.

How do you propose I tell him to knock off the speeding and to be more considerate? There are at least two houses on my street that have young children who will ride their bikes either down the street or the sidewalk. I do not have kids, as of yet, but speeding through a place that I live and he also lives at, really irks me. What would you do?
Have a quiet Man to Man talk with him in person and let him know how tragic his driving COULD be. If that doesn't wise him up a visit by a group of neighbors with kids might be next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 09:59 AM

3,220 posts, read 1,604,851 times
Quote:
We get the occasional young driver full of himself who will floor whatever kind of car he has, regardless if it's "fast" or not. But this guy lives here. I've seen him in passing before, not sure on his age, would guess 25-30, old enough to know better!
What I get in my neighborhood is retired guys who now have the hot rod of their teenage dreams. Souped up muscle cars and real hot rods they take out for a drive a few times a year and they have to burn rubber etc. I am unfortunately on a through street between the only two main roads in town and this is where they decide to floor it.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:01 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
It sounds like this only happened once? Just let it slide unless it turns into a pattern. Maybe there was some emergency or reason to rush.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:05 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
Quote:
This may be the wrong sub forum for this question, and I apologize, I looked through all the forums and couldn't find anything that really had to do with neighborhoods and neighbor relations.

I live in an old city neighborhood, and in a neighborhood nestled between two decently busy city streets. My street is mostly quiet, we will occasionally get a random car that cuts through my neighborhood and goes down my street at a high rate of speed to get to the other busy street. I can't stop these people, they're going to speed and drive recklessly because they don't care, and they don't live here. It's not an all too common occurrence, just enough to occasionally annoy me.

Earlier today one of my neighbors who lives about 6 houses down, turned onto my street and completely floored his GMC SUV until he came up on his house, upon which he promptly jumped on the brakes. I don't have a radar gun, but I can estimate speeds, and he was likely going between 40-50MPH down a street where the speed limit is 25. I have never formally met this neighbor, I have seen him walking to and from his car on occasion when I drive by.

How do you propose I tell him to knock off the speeding and to be more considerate? There are at least two houses on my street that have young children who will ride their bikes either down the street or the sidewalk. I do not have kids, as of yet, but speeding through a place that I live and he also lives at, really irks me. What would you do?
I'll say this...don't confront the guy head on..These days, you have no idea how someone will react, especially if you confront him at his home, or if they are having a bad day and could be armed You don't want to be the recipient of that..document if you can with video, when possible. If it's a one time thing and he could have had an emergency at home, that could be the case but still not safe.. but if it's continued and repetitive pattern, then it's time to get the authorities involved. Also, do you have a HOA or other organization that is in your community? I know they can be a pain, but I will say where I live, they don't tolerate this and they will get the cops involved if it's a recurring problem.

Last edited by Gil3; 08-20-2018 at 10:20 AM..

Old 08-20-2018, 11:34 AM

18,733 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I have the same speeding teenage driver who floors it going down a short stretch. Not only that, sometimes he keeps driving backward in reverse just to do it again. Lots of little ones on our street as well. It's incredibly inconsiderate... the engine noise, fuel and burnt tire smell plus the possibility that someone gets hit. If I call the police, good chance he'd be done and gone by the time the cops show up.
Roll a basketball in front of him from your garage and between two parked cars. One swerve, one crash into an unoccupied parked car, one long session with the police, one increase in car insurance... and one subsequently careful driver.

Sorry, it was an accident, my 10-year-old son let the ball get away from him. These things happen in a quiet neighborhood.

"Tough love".

Old 08-20-2018, 12:33 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Roll a basketball in front of him from your garage and between two parked cars. One swerve, one crash into an unoccupied parked car, one long session with the police, one increase in car insurance... and one subsequently careful driver.

Sorry, it was an accident, my 10-year-old son let the ball get away from him. These things happen in a quiet neighborhood.

"Tough love".
Nah, just talk to the teen or his parents. Intentionally creating a hazardous road condition is being just as unsafe as he is. You hope he swerves into a parked car? Screw that other neighbor of yours I guess! Hopefully there's no kid or pet you both didn't notice and he swerves into them.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:36 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Should I see him driving recklessly again I plan on marching down to his house on foot and telling him how inconsiderate and dangerous he is being, in an polite manner, I'll do my best anyhow.
While you have every right to do this and would be in the right, this has the potential to either go very well or very poorly.

The risk is if you don't know this person and they are someone volatile, they escalate the situation or do something worse. If it goes well, they will be embarrassed and change their behavior. Or something in between happens (i.e. they slow down on the day you talk to them but then slip into the same bad behavior). I'm saying this not just for your exact situation but for others who may be reading this thread and dealing with similar situations.

I'm not saying that it's automatically a bad idea, but just know the risks.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:55 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
No

Not yet, anyway.
Still LMAO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post

"Tough love".
I was thinking the OP should find an old bike somewhere, tie a teddy bear in a dress on it and then hide behind a tree until the speeder comes down the street. Then roll the bike out at the last minute, not giving the guy time to swerve. He'll never drive faster than a tricycle can go after that.

Where I'm moving to, you have to go up about a mile of a curvy road with a couple switchbacks. I'm reading in the meeting minutes of the road association that some kids are racing each other up and down this road. Mind, it's not really wide enough for two lanes unless someone pulls way over onto the edge. One of the cars has already crashed into someone's front yard at the top of the hill.

If the road association solves the problem, I'll let you guys know how they did it. Personally, I'm all for volunteering my car for a solution. Park it on the side of the road (dark as pitch up there at night and these guys are rat racing at 2am) and let them have at it. I'd like to buy a Ford Ranger.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:24 PM

23,296 posts, read 18,824,628 times
A high school Driver's Ed teacher told me this story. Who knows whether it was actually true or told for effect.

There was a local stretch of mountain highway he and his teen buddies would take an old beater muscle car to on occasional Saturday nights. They'd rev that old car up as fast as it would go and flatten the road shoulder reflector wands with the fender. The DOT apparently got sick and tired of replacing them but hadn't caught the culprits in the act. They replaced the wands and reflectors one final time; all but one but in the middle of the group. The reflector on that one was attached to angle iron set in cement.

The next Saturday night ride came, the boys got the beater going particularly fast, started the usual wand-clipping, and hit the angle iron in full roar. Stopped the car dead in it's tracks, took out the front end, radiator, etc. The boys sat there in horror, especially as they watched the highway patrol roll slowly, gloatingly, out of it's hiding spot in the roadside bushes behind them.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-20-2018 at 01:33 PM..

Old 08-20-2018, 01:36 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
When I was a teenager who liked to speed down my road one of my neighbors yelled "hey knock that **** off there's kids around here!" when I got out of my car one day. That stopped me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House