Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 09:16 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have replaced door springs on dishwashers before, it's not a hard job. The springs themselves are not expensive.

With all the "green" regs in place now, that new dishwasher may not work near as well as the old one.

The musty odor, though, sounds like something is leaking water somewhere, you need to check that out.

Pretty much what Harry said. You don't want to go taking this apart yourself, let the landlord decide what to do, technically it's her dishwasher.

BTW the dishwasher is perfectly usable as it is, if you just let the door down gently.
omg, no, I'm not going to repair the dishwasher myself under any circumstances. If a repair is indeed going to be $200, I know for sure she would prefer to get a new (used) one. One call to a repairman will confirm that.

The dishwasher is perfectly usable, but even if I let the door down gently, it creates a nice ramp for the bottom rack which rolls down onto the floor if I don't hold onto it while I load! It makes for a good slapstick scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 03:40 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
she didn't keep the security deposit of the guy who broke the dishwasher (Because IMHO that spring did not just break spontaneously)

Seeing as you don't know what the problem is.. I'd doubt the spring itself broke.

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/rep...or-spring.html

That shows the basics of the spring.. It's connected to the door with a simple piece of plastic. Reason being, no doubt, that the spring is pretty dang strong.. If it were to tear its mounting on the door, you're replacing the door.. Far more expensive than the kit with a new spring and plastic piece.

And, since it is plastic.. I'm kinda willing to bet this thing is in the 10 to 15 year old range (at a minimum) and plastic has a tendency to dry rot.. Or get brittle.

Although.. There is a possibility if it's been pulled out multiple times, one of the times it was pushed back in, they knocked the plastic and broke it, or.. Perhaps just knocked it off. So, it may not be broken at all, just needs to be re-attached.

You're going to have to pull it to check for a water leak. There's three basic places it can leak.. The inlet, the outlet, and the tub. If it's the tub, it's getting replaced. If it's more than a connection at the inlet or outlet.. It's getting replaced (The pumps can be replaced, but the economics are often not there once you factor in labor and parts)..

End of the day.. This thing is probably getting replaced. And.. As someone said above.. You probably won't be pleased with the new one. They've cut the amount of water and drying times for energy ratings.. Even mine, which is 10 years old now.. You basically have to open the door and let things inside air dry.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:09 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Although.. There is a possibility if it's been pulled out multiple times, one of the times it was pushed back in, they knocked the plastic and broke it, or.. Perhaps just knocked it off. So, it may not be broken at all, just needs to be re-attached.

End of the day.. This thing is probably getting replaced. And.. As someone said above.. You probably won't be pleased with the new one. They've cut the amount of water and drying times for energy ratings.. Even mine, which is 10 years old now.. You basically have to open the door and let things inside air dry.
I hear what you're saying about the spring.
The previous tenant came by. He was evasive about the nature of the dishwasher's ailments but confirmed that it leaked all over the floor the only time he used it.

And lord have mercy, my landlady was not going to spring for a new one. I found a used one for $100 and had it delivered. It will be $60 for the install. She was pretty pleased with the outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House