Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 07:49 AM

82 posts, read 118,943 times

Advertisements

We have a new metal pole barn and the common house fly's seem to really love it during this time of year. I don't want to spend the $$ for foam insulation since it is unheated. I'm considering trying to close up as many of the open to outside gaps where the corrugated metal panels overlap and bridge the framing studs. Less points of entry = less fly's is my theory.

Has anyone used the foam spray in a can products for this? Loctite's "Foam-Tite" says it adheres well to metal. But we get lots of freezing and thawing here in MT, so I'm concerned about it working loose. I plan to call them and see what they say about this application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 10:37 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
By the title I was going to recommend "clipping its wings".

My guess would be eliminating what is drawing them inside. If you're thinking that eliminating holes, gaps, and other conduit for the flies to enter is the solution- I think you're looking at it backwards.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:20 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestoneangler View Post
We have a new metal pole barn and the common house fly's seem to really love it during this time of year. I don't want to spend the $$ for foam insulation since it is unheated. I'm considering trying to close up as many of the open to outside gaps where the corrugated metal panels overlap and bridge the framing studs. Fewer points of entry = fewer flies is my theory.

Has anyone used the foam spray in a can products for this? Loctite's "Foam-Tite" says it adheres well to metal. But we get lots of freezing and thawing here in MT, so I'm concerned about it working loose. I plan to call them and see what they say about this application.
Those may be houseflies or they may be other similarly appearing flies, especially if you are around an agricultural area or someone has untended compost piles, dog poo piles, or has been leaving uncovered garbage out.

The common simple and inexpensive control method in many cases is the hanging sticky fly paper strip. Houseflies in particular like to land on verticals like that and get stuck. The second control for outdoor areas is a variation of the "Big Stinky Fly Trap" https://www.grit.com/fly-traps Farmers have made them for years out of old bottles and window screening. The nice thing about them is that they are fairly selective, not harming pollinators while capturing pests like flies and wasps and hornets.

(Not to pick on you, but I fixed the last line in your first paragraph. The number of people who confuse "fewer" and "less" has dramatically increased over the past three years, to the point that during IRL conversations I will now interject when "less" is used incorrectly. Less does not mean fewer.)

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/less-or-fewer

Old 08-16-2018, 11:28 AM

Don't think so. There is nothing in the shop except TT, truck and boat; no livestock, organic material, etc., and it has a concrete floor. From what I read, fly's are seeking the warmth from the cool nights (we typically drop into the high 40'slow 50's even in July-Aug). When we first moved into the house, we had them coming in any openings around the door and window seals. I've since taken care of those access points and reduced that problem significantly. This is why I'm focusing on sealing up openings. My other reason for saying this is that others recommend having the shop spray foam insulated as a remedy for this. That process essentially makes the interior air tight except for the mesh breather at the ridge cap and gables. But, as I stated, that's quite expensive and why I'm looking at low cost options.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:21 AM

Update on the project. I decided to purchase some open cell foam strip that can be pushed into the sidewall sheet overlap/openings. Cut into short 1-2" lengths, they are easy to position and create a roadblock for fly's. Much less expensive than the spray foam cans (which requires can to be inverted), and without the mess.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:40 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Yes, you are supposed to use those self adhesive closure strips under the panels.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Construc...IN-5/202683724
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House