Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 10:54 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times

Advertisements

I don't trap anything at all, ever. No need to torture.

If we get a mouse in the house, I set up a trail of sunflower seeds to a cardboard box, let the box drop when the mouse goes inside, then take the box outside and let the mouse go on its merry way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 01:34 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
The best solution to controlling MICE is a CAT. A spayed or neutered Cat on a skimpy diet and Mice problem is solved. The big bonus is having a warm cuddly buddy to play with.

My mouse problem is in the garage, not the house. I don't think a cat is going to be happy living out there all the time. Not to mention the Lab isn't going to want any competition when it comes to play time or snuggle time with the humans.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
The glue traps are cruel. I know big strapping men who hunt who won't use glue traps.
This is my experience:

Snap traps: 1

Enclosed traps: 1

Glue traps: 12

I'm going with what works, plain and simple. I really don't care what others think. This isn't about big strapping men or those who hunt. This is about eradicating rodents. And glue traps have clearly been the most effective at eradicating these rodents.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post

If we get a mouse in the house, I set up a trail of sunflower seeds to a cardboard box, let the box drop when the mouse goes inside, then take the box outside and let the mouse go on its merry way.

And you don't think that it will put two ad two together and see your home as a free food zone? I want the problem solved permanently.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:48 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post

Old 08-26-2018, 02:25 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
And you don't think that it will put two ad two together and see your home as a free food zone? I want the problem solved permanently.

No, they don't see my house as a free food zone. They don't come back inside. I've had maybe 3 mice in 25 years.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:47 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
There is no such thing as "one mouse". If you see it, or hear it, you probably have DOZENS of them, just seeing or hearing "one" at a time.

Also, they are not in the house at all times. Some will leave, while others stay, then come back again.

I would go with a rodenticide (poison). The vast majority will not die in the house. Once they get sick, they "know" it was something in YOUR house that did it; they leave, then die.

If you have any trouble getting rid of them (and it is them, not it), poisons are what the exterminators use. They can get rid of the worst infestations. So, use their method of choice - poison.
Sometimes there is just one mouse in your house. I get one about every five years. Snap.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:27 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
So you poison your mice. And the neighbor's dog sees the soon-to-be-dead mouse in his yard. And the sick mouse doesn't escape from the doggy, who gobbles it up. Dog dies.

Don't be an earth hole.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:17 PM

213 posts, read 157,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
So you poison your mice. And the neighbor's dog sees the soon-to-be-dead mouse in his yard. And the sick mouse doesn't escape from the doggy, who gobbles it up. Dog dies.

Don't be an earth hole.

Maybe that was an issue with early mouse/rat poisons, but modern mouse poisons are such low concentrations that the neighbor's dog would have to eat a ton of dead mice to be affected.

https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.c...oison-concerns

"The chances of a pet to consume enough carcasses of a dead rat to accumulate sufficient poison for secondary poisoning would be low. It is more likely to occur with a high population of dead poisoned rats that are accessible, coupled with pets or non-targeted animals that are foraging for food due to hunger. Most pets are loved and fed well. They would need to be very hungry for them to eat many dead carcasses of rats."

Old 08-26-2018, 06:33 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
One, despite the old cartoons, mice don't really go for cheese. They will eat what is on offer, but it isn't something that magically attracts.

Peanut butter OTOH is catnip to rats and mice. Trick is *NOT* to huge dollops of the stuff when baiting traps. Doing that only allows rodents to "eat" bait without setting off the trap.

What you want is to use a tiny smear of PB; just enough to give the scent. This is enough to lure and (hopefully) get a rodent to set off a trap.

For snap and other traps when it comes to mice, placement matters more than baiting.

Mice do not have great eyesight and tend to run along walls/baseboards, etc.... So you need to place the trap where the business end is perpendicular to the wall or whatever so it is in the path mice use. Idea is they will run into the thing and set it off. That and or attempt to take the bait..
Seems like good tips. My reasoning for putting a dollop of peanut butter was so the mouse would spend more time around the trigger. But that didn't work. The tricky mouse ate the peanut butter clean off twice without setting off the trap.

I next used the piece of cheese because I could wedge it into the trigger and my thinking was the mouse would set off the trap pulling the cheese loose. That didn't seem to work either for a few days. Maybe the mouse wasn't willing to work that hard to get the cheese. I noticed it appeared the mouse was able to take a path around the trap. So I moved the trap to a spot I saw him run where he'd have to go over the trap. And within a few hours the mouse set off the trap.

I'm not sure if the mouse tried to get to the cheese bait or just ran over the trap, but I think placing the trap perpendicular to the wall and in the path of the mouse is key like you mentioned. It does seem they like peanut butter and I never really thought using just a smear of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House