Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 04:43 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times

Advertisements

There's also things that control the heat elements on gas and electric dryers. We had them replaced over the years on electric dryers. We had gas for a little while. Dried better but I couldn't get used to seeing the light of a flame under the dryer at night so we went back to electric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 04:48 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Followup

I called two repair companies and both said it is most likely to be lint in the air duct given the age of the dryer and no cleaning of it in our 8 years here. So different vendor does that and will be out Wednesday. Hopefully this fixes it.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:56 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Now it's 8 years? What other appliances are you using? Are you taking care of them?
If you don't know how, there are plenty tutorials on YouTube. Most of maintenance stuff you could and should do yourself.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:05 PM

Don't use that dryer till it's cleaned out. You could watch them and then do it yourself next times....or at least call them regularly if you use them.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Don't use that dryer till it's cleaned out. You could watch them and then do it yourself next times....or at least call them regularly if you use them.

Will do. On the surface does not sound too difficult to do but going to watch his approach. In Houston, where we lived before, the vent was on an outside wall and was easy to clear of lint etc. In this house, it goes up a wall to the roof which is steep as can be. Wife was doing it in Houston without my involvement but this one and her health now let this fall through the crack

Old 08-27-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Will do. On the surface does not sound too difficult to do but going to watch his approach. In Houston, where we lived before, the vent was on an outside wall and was easy to clear of lint etc. In this house, it goes up a wall to the roof which is steep as can be. Wife was doing it in Houston without my involvement but this one and her health now let this fall through the crack
Oh, my goodness. Ask what would be involved in making it simpler than that. Could be well worth it. Keep us updated.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:44 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Check to make sure the vent, from dryer to the outdoors, is clear the entire path. We thought our electric dryer was on its last legs, was taking twice as long to dry. Turned out we had birds' nests in the exit to the outdoors, under the deck!

Old 08-27-2018, 09:57 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
We got someone in to rework our dryer venting since the builder had it going in a pipe up to the roof. My husband cleaned it twice and it had a sharp bend. We found a lot of our lint in the attic. . . Anyway, we had holes drilled in our walls and the pipes went straight to the outside via under the stairs. Why the builder didn't do this design is beyond me.

With that we had two lint traps in the line that we can manually clean. I also use a Swifter duster and swipe it around in the dryer lint trap area - Of course with the tray removed. We also have a dry vent brush that I swish around in the pipe, access through the lint traps.

It's really important to keep your dryer lint free -- Less chance of a house fire.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:56 AM

Clogged vent duct, having it cleaned. It is blowing some lint into attic, replacing roof top housing to attach to the vent line to avoid repeated incidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House