Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 03:59 PM

13,254 posts, read 8,327,695 times

Advertisements

Until our fire chief tells us to not have an operational fire detector in our kitchen, it stays. As he reminded my family...name three rooms that catch fire the quickest or sets off the fire...the kitchen is one of them!
Op: get a pumice stone and clean your oven regularly. I clean mine anytime I use it. It saves on grim build up and it's like most things..constant care keeps it easy to attend. I find the self cleaning ones to be energy hogs and my five minute clean up saves electric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 04:48 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,773,215 times
There are some detectors made for the kitchen. Some have a mute for the alarm and others can (usually) distinguish between cooking and fires.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:01 PM

5,101 posts, read 6,010,523 times
OP have you actually used the clean cycle on your oven recently. From your post it sounds like it is going off during normal use. Using the cleaning cycle is designed to burn off all the crud that is baked in the oven. It sound like yours has built up and need to be put therough the high heat clean cycle. As someone else said this may make the kitchen very warm so coose a cooler day and maybe even open the house up and use a fan to pull more air through from the outside. I would not do it at night while you sleep. Maybe in the evening or early morning but only when you are there and awake to monitor it.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:13 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,190,043 times
Use a chemical cleaner to get at least the first layer off...don't wait so long between cleanings!

Old 08-28-2018, 01:45 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,752,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Use a chemical cleaner to get at least the first layer off...don't wait so long between cleanings!
And before you even do that make sure there is no loose debris or ashes or major buildup of anything in the oven which may be reigniting every time you use the oven.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:39 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,948,669 times
even though my oven is self cleaning I still clean mine manually cause I think I do a better job than the self cleaner . I know , I know im sort of a perfectionist when it comes to clean . My adult kids call me mrs clean and im married to mr clean LOL .

Old 08-28-2018, 06:49 AM

18,438 posts, read 18,548,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
This has happened to me twice. The smoke detector is very near to the kitchen and is a pain to shut off once it starts. The oven is supposedly self cleaning, so if I try to clean it will the smoke detector start up again? How can I prevent this? Just moved into this house, so not used to this gas stove. TIA
you may have tins or dishes inside the oven with grease that is then heating up and going on fire.. clean it.buy silicone sheets for the bottom to catch drips and clean it after every use.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:19 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,038,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
This has happened to me twice. The smoke detector is very near to the kitchen and is a pain to shut off once it starts. The oven is supposedly self cleaning, so if I try to clean it will the smoke detector start up again? How can I prevent this? Just moved into this house, so not used to this gas stove. TIA
Speaking as a single unmarried male:

You have too much burned food on the bottom of your stove.

Step one, get rid of the little visible burned pieces of coal.

Step two, let the oven clean itself. Yes, you may set off the smoke detector. Do this on a cold day at night or in the winter. This creates a LOT of heat.

Step three, let the oven cool off and then wipe off any residual ash.

Step four, if it's really bad, you may need to let the oven clean itself again (probably not).

Step five: Be more careful about cooking in the future. Clean off after things spill. Wipe off the bottom and don't let things turn into coal.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:56 AM

6,768 posts, read 11,396,828 times
Can we give the OP a break? S/He states they just moved in the house. It’s the previous occupant who’s a slob.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:57 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,880,102 times
Just checking. You know generally how to clean an oven, right? You don't pour water in there and slosh it around, right?

Another thing about gas ovens. The lines need to be blown out occasionally. Did not know that one but getting ours done soon. Better to get it done sooner than when the oven door sort of explodes out when you're heating the oven up. (Not an actual destructive explosion so I guess that's good. Nothing came apart. Just the door blew open with a loud boom shot sound.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House