Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 08:09 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times

Advertisements

Doubtful that you will find something premade to fit perfectly. So your best option is DIY unless you want to fork over some cash for someone on Etsy to make it for you.

One DIY option that you might be able to do is just buy a drape or valance that has a 4" rod pocket if the size of that piece is 4" or smaller. Then you would just cut all the fabric right below the seam.

If the piece is larger than 4" then you could buy some fabric and some double sided velcro or tape and then just wrap the fabric around it and velcro/tape it on the back if you cannot sew. You might need a little batting underneath for this option unless you buy a heavier material. I am also assuming the piece is metal. If wood then you could just staple it to the back of the wood piece.

Next option is just to take it down since it is dated and probably not even worth the hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 09:56 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeropg View Post
It is definitely removable. I just want to find out what its called to change the fabric in the middle. So far the ones I see are not what I am looking for. None of them bunch up the way this one does and they're all longer pieces in length.
That's why it's bunched. The extra length gets pushed into the "bunches". It's like taking a flat drape and putting it on a shorter rod. It ends up bunched together and you get the "wavy" hang.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:11 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
I want to remove the covers and replace them with something better looking. I don't like the color I want to buy a solid color.
Valance is the common term. Did you know you can paint the fabric on the valance?

Old 08-30-2018, 11:20 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Since it is fabric & removable, do that. Then take it to a drapery shop or tailor/seamstress shop, and have them make you a new one.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:29 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,638 times
So you are good with the fabric insert?

You can find places for the fabric, just that it's too long?

Put on as much as you like and cut off the rest at the end.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:08 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Thanks. But the ones I am seeing online are not short like the ones I have. They seem to be for curtain rods. This one isn't hanging from a curtain rod.
It is called a vertical blind valance (as opposed to curtain valances). Do a google search on vertical blind valance.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:30 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,672,370 times
Quote:
It is definitely removable. I just want to find out what its called to change the fabric in the middle. So far the ones I see are not what I am looking for. None of them bunch up the way this one does and they're all longer pieces in length.
That's why I was saying, not having seen valances that wrap to the wall before or the fabric detail, it appears very dated and unavailable now. I would remove if you can and replace it with something more pleasing. It's a little work, but it may be all you can do if it is really bugging you.

I can't tell you how much stuff I have altered. I removed the original valances and brackets holding verticals that stuck out so far from the wall, being unable to have curtain rods & brackets that would extend over them. I then installed a header with vertical blinds inside the window frame in one window which allowed for having curtain rods, sheers for light-filtering and draperies over. I also have accordion shades, mini-blinds, roller shades in others to block out Western-exposure heat. Yes, I have gotten an education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House