Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2018, 06:42 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times

Advertisements

Is this likely on a three year old high SEER Trane central system?

If it failed what would be the symptoms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 11:40 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Well, of course it's "likely"- any number of scenarios could/would cause it to fail.

Symptoms- it doesn't work anymore.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:52 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
Ha! Yeah, that's pretty much it 100%!

John, it sounds like you have a warranty claim to make. Given the strong reputation of Trane, I would have to believe that ANYTHING going wrong inside of 5 years (maybe even 10) would be covered by the manufacturer's warranty? Did you buy this unit for your home? Did you register it with Trane? If not, I'd do so promptly.

When we were shopping for quotes to replace one of our units last winter, we had a quote for a Lennox unit. The guy told us that we would absolutely want to register the unit with Lennox in exchange for several more years of warranty coverage. I would suspect the same for Trane?

We didn't buy it, waiting for the existing to finally take it's last dirt nap. We're going with Carrier instead via neighbor/buddy discount. I simply don't buy that one is better than the other to justify a cost difference that equates to what another unit would cost in general. Yes, I think there is a difference in the lower end units, but once you're in the mid-grade space, well, I have yet to see anything regardless of what it is, that doesn't fail at some point in an annoying fashion.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:27 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Ha! Yeah, that's pretty much it 100%!

John, it sounds like you have a warranty claim to make. Given the strong reputation of Trane, I would have to believe that ANYTHING going wrong inside of 5 years (maybe even 10) would be covered by the manufacturer's warranty? Did you buy this unit for your home? Did you register it with Trane? If not, I'd do so promptly.

When we were shopping for quotes to replace one of our units last winter, we had a quote for a Lennox unit. The guy told us that we would absolutely want to register the unit with Lennox in exchange for several more years of warranty coverage. I would suspect the same for Trane?

We didn't buy it, waiting for the existing to finally take it's last dirt nap. We're going with Carrier instead via neighbor/buddy discount. I simply don't buy that one is better than the other to justify a cost difference that equates to what another unit would cost in general. Yes, I think there is a difference in the lower end units, but once you're in the mid-grade space, well, I have yet to see anything regardless of what it is, that doesn't fail at some point in an annoying fashion.
I'm curious why you are going to wait until the old unit dies before you replace it? There are so many things that people replace before they die (cars, tires, shoes to name a few), but when it comes to the home, most people seem to have that mind set of waiting until it dies.

Just curious.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread with my question. To the OP - good advice about the warranty.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:55 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Is this likely on a three year old high SEER Trane central system?

If it failed what would be the symptoms?

Typically a "rectifier" is the name given to the component or set of components that convert household AC line current to DC that powers specific circuitry / devices. The "symptoms of failure" are generally that the technician uses a test meter to determine the point at which there is no voltage / insufficient DC amps to feed the downstream sub-circuit / device.

Depending on which rectifier failed the cost of the component is probably not too high (>$50), together with standard service call this ought not be an "OMG" type charge. The failure might have been due to either some surge in line current, irregularity of another component or just a component that had typical manufacturing variation and "died before its brothers"...

If you have an HVAC firm that you can trust I would not spend too much time worrying about the incident, but given that Trane is generally considered a "premium" brand you certainly could reach out to the firm and inquire if they consider this failure the sort of thing they might reimburse some part of the charge regardless of warranty status. OTOH if this in the only time there has been any sort of service call / maintenance they might get weaselly and stick to the legal minimum as spelled out in their warranty.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:48 AM

This three year old unit has been the subject of many issues. My HVAC guy installed it and has services it every time, which number around 5 counting this one. He replaced the circuit board shortly after installing the unit. We had an issue with early shutdown of the heat side and he brought someone along and together than determined an issue in connecting it to the thermostat was the cause. I like my guy and he has been taking care of my three units for 8 years now but it seems to me this one might be too complicated for his experience. I am out no money as he has done the repairs as warranty items thus far. My plan is to switch to a new service firm next incident.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:12 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Well, what problems are you having with your HVAC???

Old 10-18-2018, 05:52 AM

Update, switched HVAC techs and company. Purchased a service plan that checks all three systems once each fall and once each spring. First check by new tech, confirmed my newer system was not wired correctly by installer which might explain the repeated issues with it. However the new systems are more complex thanks to the EPA meaning more repairs needed and shorter life expectancy.

Only issues raised by new tech was the two old systems capacitors are not performing up to 100% new since they are not at all new. I did learn compressors on both old systems had been replaced but are 10 years old. He did not push me hard to replace capacitors, and I elected to delay it as price to do so was over $100 installed for each.

Second item raised is he did not see a carbon monozide detector and we heat and cook with natural gas. It apparently is not a local requirement but it makes sense to do but price again high and he suggested I could find a less sensitive unit much cheaper and put it up myself. I will go this route.

Happy with the new tech, highly experienced and knowledgeable. Tells me what his company wants me to hear but did not push hard at all and we will see if waiting is the right way to go or not over time.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:04 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
FWIW just had a (no-cost) visit from my installer - less than a year after it was installed, he advised the board was in a hard lockout as protection against a line voltage (spike or sag) that was out of desired range. He reset some low voltage (control) circuit after removing the cover from the unit in about 10 minutes. Runs now good as new. Showed me how to do it if it happens again.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:39 AM

94 posts, read 160,238 times
As per my point of view, you should go with an organization which provides home inspection services. Before shifting to my new house, I have also consulted the home inspection agency. Here, I'm sharing the website: https://mnhomeinspector-mbi.com/. You can also have a look here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House