Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 01:26 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times

Advertisements

As saturated as those plates look I have to wonder if the water source isn't BELOW them.
That water is somehow wicking UPWARD through the webs of the concrete block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 02:29 PM

96 posts, read 93,186 times
@MrRational - My wife keeps suggesting that very thing but I keep dismissing her. I don't see how that's possible.

Wouldn't I see evidence in the concrete somewhere, such as cracks or wet spots? And the last time the roofers were out to the house, they used a infrared gun to shoot all of the walls looking for cool vs. warm spots. Those concrete walls showed a clean, consistent heat signature.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:44 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_rider View Post
@MrRational - My wife keeps suggesting that very thing but I keep dismissing her. I don't see how that's possible.

On the other hand, I think it is the rock-faced wall which is the culprit.

When it is all dry, start wetting the rock wall halfway below where the wood starts on the inside.
If it stays dry it is not wicking up from behind the rocks on the stone wall.

Next, run the hose above the stone wall and see if it gets wet.
Stays dry, not there ...

Keep going up in 6-inch intervals and you will find the leak.

Covering the whole wall might keep it dry but you will not know where the leak is ...

We had a leak in our living room ceiling.
Careful checking showed the leak coming from 12 feet further !!

Old 09-09-2018, 03:58 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
@MrRational - My wife keeps suggesting that very thing...
Oh man! This one is gonna cost you big!

Quote:
I don't see how that's possible.
Do you have any tin (like a termite shield) below the plates?
Are all the webs filled with concrete?

Assuming there is a path... the rest is just about saturation/pressure.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:01 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
We had a leak in our living room ceiling.
Careful checking showed the leak coming from 12 feet further !!

We had a roof leak, what fixed it was new roof. It was due in a few years anyway. Never did find the exact source but it was certainly coming a distance from where it was leaking in the house.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:07 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,913,458 times
Quote:

Wouldn't I see evidence in the concrete somewhere, such as cracks or wet spots? And the last time the roofers were out to the house, they used a infrared gun to shoot all of the walls looking for cool vs. warm spots. Those concrete walls showed a clean, consistent heat signature.
Don't dismiss right away. I just saw this and thought the same thing. The stain looks like the water is leaching up from below. Use that hose on the concrete. You might be surprised to find, for example, there's a slight crack where water is coming in...even from an unexpected area like the back.

That downspout on the right...where does that go. Looks like underground. Is there a hole in it from settling or an auto weight.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:02 AM

Good morning, everyone.

First off, thanks to everyone who has offered up suggestions. I do appreciate it as this leak has been very difficult to pinpoint.

As of today, there has been no rain since since last Thursday and the forecast isn't showing any rain for at least several more days or longer. So the wood plate is drying out real good.

@MrRational - Between the bottom of the wood plate and the top of the concrete wall, there appears to be a thin sheet of foam-like material. There is no metal or tin that I can see.

I know my plastic sheeting is not going to allow me to pin-point the source of the leak if it's coming from the wall somewhere. My goal with this sheeting is to narrow down the problem to either the rock wall or the roof. With the plastic sheeting in place, if that wood plate gets wet after our next rain storm, won't that pretty-much tell me the problem is with the roof somewhere?

Old 09-12-2018, 08:40 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
I like the idea of prohibiting the water from hitting the stone veneer, as more than likely, that is where your water intrusion is emanating. Judging from the soaked nature of that plate, a LOT of water is being absorbed.

See what happens with the plastic covering.

There does not seem to be any indication that water is flowing from above. You would see stains on the studs if water was coming from above. BTW, that was some masterful framing and sheathing job....but yes, that is the 'standard' by which many framers operate these days.

Water is like mice; it can get in, flow uphill, and end up in places far from where it originates.

My guess is that somehow there is a void or other lack off flashing in the stone veneer and you will need to remove the stone (no big deal, actually) to locate the entry point.

I have a house of similar age. One leak was above a larger fixed window where the flashing was not installed properly under the stone veneer.

The other leak was in a valley where, when the wind blew hard, the water was getting in between the fascia board and the shingles. It was then flowing across the framing, across the collar ties, and down the rafters to drip onto my garage ceiling. It took a year to figure that one out!

Good luck. You know it has to be coming in somewhere, and it is not insignificant. My money is on the stone.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:22 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,913,458 times
When it's so dry you might take this as an opportunity to wet a section at a time of your property. You'd have to wait in between. I get the feeling this is one of those sneaky crack rivulets.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:08 AM

Well folks, we had a little bit of rain last night and this morning.

The wood sill plate, which was completely bone dry yesterday, has some dampness to it suggesting water got in there again somehow.

The plastic barrier I fabricated has remained in place for the past two weeks. This morning after the rain, I noted what looks like condensation on the inside of the plastic. And the grouting around the rock appears darker, suggesting it's damp or wet. I can't tell completely because I'd have to remove my barrier to have a closer look.

So what is happening here? Is the stucco wall porous enough that it's allowing water to soak through and into the wall?

I guess what I can do is just wait for that wood sill plate to dry out again and then hit the wall with a hose for a while and get it good and wet and then wait to see if the sill plate gets wet again.

What else can I do? Who can I call?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House