Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:29 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,418,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
My girlfriend swears by this stuff...

Of course, after you use it the first time, you shouldn't need ANYTHING other than soap and hot water...maybe a little bleach for antibacterial concerns.
Dow scrubbing bubbles and BLEACH on wood? Well...good for her. You'll be buying those new cabinets sooner than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 07:39 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
What ingredient is in Lemon Pledge? I gave the answer. LEMON extract. And what is the major ingredient in lemons? ACID !!! And what does acid do to wood?
The primary ingredient in lemon extract is ethanol - grain alcohol. I would think that would be more corrosive on wood finishes than the acid in it.

But doesn't how you treat it depend on the finish? Aren't most cabinets finished with polyurethane varnish? If so and the finish is in good shape, the wood wouldn't be touched by the cleaner - only the finish. It thought a little diluted dish soap and rinsed with plain water would work fine on polyurethane finishes that have grease on them.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:49 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Oh. Are you supposed to clean the inside of your cabinets?

Whyy? No one can see into them.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Dow scrubbing bubbles and BLEACH on wood? Well...good for her. You'll be buying those new cabinets sooner than later.
I was actually considering the tops...but yes, you could use scrubbing bubbles on the fronts too.

Unless you've specifically gotten all WOOD cabinets, you're more likely to find laminate over pressboard.

The bleach is only for the countertops, not the cabinets, you don't need antibacterial agents on the cabinets themselves.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
The primary ingredient in lemon extract is ethanol - grain alcohol. I would think that would be more corrosive on wood finishes than the acid in it.

But doesn't how you treat it depend on the finish? Aren't most cabinets finished with polyurethane varnish? If so and the finish is in good shape, the wood wouldn't be touched by the cleaner - only the finish. It thought a little diluted dish soap and rinsed with plain water would work fine on polyurethane finishes that have grease on them.
I have good luck with "Cabinet Magic" also like Pledge and keep my own can of Orange Pledge at the Hospital where I am Cheif Engineer.

A little off topic... I know several Blue Ribbon Winning Antique Car Restorers that use Pledge on Show Day... just before the Judging begins... It gets rid of Fingerprints, Dust and adds Luster...

Old 04-12-2008, 02:02 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,051 times
Murphy's Oil Soap. It works well. I'll admit, though, that I hate having to buy separate products for each task. I have ceramic top stove cleaner, stainless steel cleaner, glass cleaner and surface cleaner so I prefer to buy ONE product I can use on my wood. Murphy's Oil Soap does the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House