Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 06:38 AM

124 posts, read 170,704 times

Advertisements

For me it’s the Snow-tek 24 inch 2 stage snowblower that I bough at HD. It not costs around 700. Works well on the bigger snow totals that we received in the northeast the past few years. I known people on this forum will recommend other expensive snow blowers but this one is a nice starter 2 stage that already lasted 5 years for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 04:01 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Just to update, I ended up buying an Ariens Platnium 30" SHO 414cc model.

Now watch it not snow much this winter.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:48 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
Damn skippy, I’d say you’re prepared! Specs on that thing say it can move 82 TONS of snow in one hour. I’m guessing that’ll be you out on runway 3 at Logan this year!

You might as well tell everyone in your neighborhood what your favorite beverage of choice is so they can stock up early, because you’re about to become their favorite neighbor. Congrats on becoming the new HOA president as well!

Old 11-14-2018, 06:11 AM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Just to update, I ended up buying an Ariens Platnium 30" SHO 414cc model.

Now watch it not snow much this winter.

Wow. Nice machine! No chance you get the big snow now.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a platinum 24 EFI, which is way overkill for my area. All the people at the dealership (who also sell quads and a bunch of other power things) said (jokingly) that they hated me, because it wasn't going to snow now, since I was getting that before the season even started.

Let us know how it performs.

Last edited by z28lt1; 11-14-2018 at 06:20 AM..

Old 11-14-2018, 07:02 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
I just have a Toro 1 stage. It works fine for me. It is 13 years old and all I replaced are the spark plug, paddles, and scraper bar. Only complaint is that Toro needs to use rust resistant bolts for parts exposed to salt and moisture. All the bolts were rusted to heck.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:00 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Damn skippy, I’d say you’re prepared! Specs on that thing say it can move 82 TONS of snow in one hour. I’m guessing that’ll be you out on runway 3 at Logan this year!

You might as well tell everyone in your neighborhood what your favorite beverage of choice is so they can stock up early, because you’re about to become their favorite neighbor. Congrats on becoming the new HOA president as well!

Haha. Yeah, i'm definitely looking forward to trying this out in the first major storm. I definitely needed to upgrade my snowblower because I was not looking forward to another New England winter with my underpowered 21" snowblower.

Part of the reason I got that model was because I do have elderly neighbors in their 80's and 90's and do help them with their driveways. SO I want to get it done as quick as possible. I was specifically looking for a model with a powerful engine, a wide clearing width and the ability to throw the snow clear across a driveway 3 cars wide. I probably spent a few hours watching youtube vids and one of the best features of this blower was the ability to throw snow across the street if you wanted to. The autosteer got some negative reviews, but my driveway and property is relatively flat so it may be fine.

The machine is a beast size-wise. I "test drove" a deluxe 30 before buying just to make sure I could handle it. I'm a pretty big, strong guy so really isn't an issue for me, but as my boys get older, I don't think they will be able to handle this one for some time. Fortunately I kept my 21" blower as a means to do the smaller backyard walkways which are a bit narrower.

But yeah, I was all set to get a Deluxe 30, but decided I wanted the more powerful engine. Already ordered some accessories for it like a weight kit, chains, and plan on upgrading the lighting. The single halogen really isn't all that great, but there are cheap kits to add dual LED lights.

1" of snow forecast for Thursday night. Can't wait to try it out! (just kidding)

Old 11-14-2018, 10:20 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
I probably spent a few hours watching youtube vids and one of the best features of this blower was the ability to throw snow across the street if you wanted to.
i have spent in an inappropriate amount of time watching videos, reading recommendations and just looking at various snowblowers online. i keep changing what i think is best for me. my most recent plan was to go for a good 24 inch wide ariens model. i think ultimately i will more likely regret getting too little than too much. i kind of wanted something smaller and lighter so i looked at single stage, electric, compact, etc. but then i risk not being able to do the job efficiently.

have fun.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:52 PM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
Quote:
Haha. Yeah, i'm definitely looking forward to trying this out in the first major storm. I definitely needed to upgrade my snowblower because I was not looking forward to another New England winter with my underpowered 21" snowblower.

Part of the reason I got that model was because I do have elderly neighbors in their 80's and 90's and do help them with their driveways. SO I want to get it done as quick as possible. I was specifically looking for a model with a powerful engine, a wide clearing width and the ability to throw the snow clear across a driveway 3 cars wide. I probably spent a few hours watching youtube vids and one of the best features of this blower was the ability to throw snow across the street if you wanted to. The autosteer got some negative reviews, but my driveway and property is relatively flat so it may be fine.

The machine is a beast size-wise. I "test drove" a deluxe 30 before buying just to make sure I could handle it. I'm a pretty big, strong guy so really isn't an issue for me, but as my boys get older, I don't think they will be able to handle this one for some time. Fortunately I kept my 21" blower as a means to do the smaller backyard walkways which are a bit narrower.

But yeah, I was all set to get a Deluxe 30, but decided I wanted the more powerful engine. Already ordered some accessories for it like a weight kit, chains, and plan on upgrading the lighting. The single halogen really isn't all that great, but there are cheap kits to add dual LED lights.

1" of snow forecast for Thursday night. Can't wait to try it out! (just kidding)

There were some issues with autosteer, but with the updated axle placement ( I think in 2016 for 2017 model year) there doesn't seem to be any reports of issues with properly set up machines (level scraper, both tires inflated fully, etc) Going to the poly skids also seemed to help with the older ones that had issues. You shouldn't really need the weight kit unless you add the cab, but you can try it out and less us know!

Old 11-14-2018, 05:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
so i was waiting until after thanksgiving to make the purchase in case there were any deals to be had. any thoughts? i was pretty comfortable with that plan but now we have a little snow predicted coming and im getting nervous. this upcoming snow wont be much im sure but it demonstrates a possibility that i could end up with a substantial snow and not be prepared.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:39 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my most recent plan was to go for a good 24 inch wide ariens model. i think ultimately i will more likely regret getting too little than too much.
Single stage in NJ? LOL. Then a big storm hits. Your screwed. Just get the 24inch ariens. If you dont get it now, they will be gone till next winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House