Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 08:11 AM

181 posts, read 429,554 times

Advertisements

First one without one. How did you solve it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 08:36 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Does it need solving? Our house is 20 years old, on CoA water, and never had a water softner. Water heater went out a few years ago, but there was essentially no scale inside and the failure was unrelated to water hardness. No water spots on our shower door.

So maybe have the water tested to see if you really need one, I understand it varies even within the city (although my last house on the other side of town, built in '77, never had/needed one, either)

Old 09-12-2018, 09:22 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,196,836 times
If you want a softwater loop you need a plumber . I didnt have one either hired a plumber they plumbed a line from the street and into the garage. Depending how far your main line is from the house, that will change the cost of having it done. I think it was well worth it. I hired Blackstone Plumbing, this was about 10 years ago. Don't know what it costs to do it today. But they installed the water softener for me.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:00 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghAustin View Post
First one without one. How did you solve it?
We have lived in Avery Ranch for ten years(two homes over that time). First house had a very expensive water filter/softener system, townhouse has no such system. I can't really tell a difference; although, we do filter the water we use for cooking/coffee and I drink mostly spring water instead of tap.

Like Trainwreck, we have had no water-quality-related issues in the five years we have been without a softener/filter. City of Austin water for us, too. Your mileage may vary. Saved a few thousand bucks not having a system in the new place vs the one at the 'big house'.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:49 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
You don't "need" one. Many people build and upgrade to plumb it in, and then never use it. It's personal preference. I don't have one and I don't want one. I don't like the feel of soft water.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:59 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
You don't "need" one. Many people build and upgrade to plumb it in, and then never use it. It's personal preference. I don't have one and I don't want one. I don't like the feel of soft water.
Agreed; although IF we had a loop, I'd consider a whole-house filter that would remove most fluoride and chlorine(among other things, of course).

Old 09-12-2018, 05:00 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
You're not going to remove the fluoride with a standard filter - the process to remove it is costly, and pretty high maintenance - NOT something I'd recommend for the average homeowner. While carbon WILL remove chlorine, I won't install them for customers on a whole-house system unless they have a medical reason to do so - the chlorine is there to preclude bacterial contamination. I've seen folks hospitalized and even killed because of bacteria contamination. It's rare - but it CAN happen - and I won't be any part of doing something like that.

OP, if your house is fairly new construction, most are built with PEX. We've been able to access the PEX in the attic and plumb it to the garage and back to install a softener with good results - certainly cleaner and less expensive than repiping from the meter. This is NOT a sales pitch - I don't service the Austin area....lol Just trying to give you some information. A good, local independent softener company should be able to handle it for you. I HIGHLY recommend the Fleck 5600 "Econominder" control valve with a good, quality 10% crosslinked resin. Please do NOT get the "computerized/digital" 5600 valve - tell them you want the old analog style. I've got a number of them out there that are 30-40 years old and still going strong (yes, they're required some maintenance, but all parts are readily available).

Feel free to message me if you have any problems/questions, and I'll help where I can.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:33 PM

216 posts, read 179,685 times
My watersoftener broke, have not replaced yet. Using descale tablets every few months in washer and dishwasher.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:23 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpo1 View Post
My watersoftener broke, have not replaced yet. Using descale tablets every few months in washer and dishwasher.
What make? Most of the "box store" units aren't worth trying to mess with - but some are quite repairable.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:02 PM

216 posts, read 179,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
What make? Most of the "box store" units aren't worth trying to mess with - but some are quite repairable.
Whirlpool, beads start to come from faucets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House