Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 569 times

Advertisements

We just bought a home in Northern New Mexico and have the option to convert from propane to Natural gas.
We are learning that our old boiler/water heater system (Teledyne Laars) may not have the capability to convert to natural gas. if we are thinking of changing out the whole system what do people recommend for radiant heat and hot water system? Should we consider Tankless combo system? We do have hard water here and there is scaling issues to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 10:44 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Laars makes conversion kits. I'd be checking with your service company about converting.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:07 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ assoc View Post
We are learning that our old (LP) boiler/water heater system
may not have the capability to convert to natural gas.
Nonsense.
You need to find more competent people to work for you.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:51 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Love our tankless hot water. Rinnai, I think.

Have had it for six or seven years. Once a year we have it flushed out.

Other than that it just an endless supply of hot water. When our kids are all home and everyone is showering, no one ever runs out.

Other times, we are not keeping hot water that no one is using.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:27 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
I have a tankless and I wouldn’t do it again. It broke and I could not find a plumber that was able to trouble shoot and find the EXACT part that was broke. They all only wanted to replace the unit. I downloaded the service manual, taught myself, trouble shooted, ordered parts online and fixed it myself. No hot water for 3 weeks. The manufacture would not work with me since I wasn’t a licensed plumber and no plumber was willing to work with the manufacture to warranty it.

Manufacture had a list of suppose plumbers and dealers to call, but it was horribly out of date.

The brand I have is Navien.

Give me a simple tank water heater.

Tankless is expensive to buy, expensive to install, expensive to maintain, and expensive to fix. But I will say, they are very nice to use.

I’ll replace simple cheap tanks every 10+ years and not worry about it.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:58 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Love our tankless hot water. Rinnai, I think.

Have had it for six or seven years. Once a year we have it flushed out.

Other than that it just an endless supply of hot water. When our kids are all home and everyone is showering, no one ever runs out.

Other times, we are not keeping hot water that no one is using.
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I have a tankless and I wouldn’t do it again. It broke and I could not find a plumber that was able to trouble shoot and find the EXACT part that was broke. They all only wanted to replace the unit. I downloaded the service manual, taught myself, trouble shooted, ordered parts online and fixed it myself. No hot water for 3 weeks. The manufacture would not work with me since I wasn’t a licensed plumber and no plumber was willing to work with the manufacture to warranty it.

Manufacture had a list of suppose plumbers and dealers to call, but it was horribly out of date.

The brand I have is Navien.

Give me a simple tank water heater.

Tankless is expensive to buy, expensive to install, expensive to maintain, and expensive to fix. But I will say, they are very nice to use.

I’ll replace simple cheap tanks every 10+ years and not worry about it.

You guys clearly didn't read the OP's post-

It's about a boiler system- and converting to NG.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:31 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
I don't know enough about tankless to give any expert opinion, have never had one. But, did research a little bit a couple of years ago and came to a couple of conclusions - (1) better for warm climates as they tend to struggle to produce "hot" water. Just warm to extra warm in wintery settings. (2) looked like a whole lot of work to get one retrofitted into an existing house. When combined, I just replaced the existing tank with a larger unit instead and called it a day.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:15 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You guys clearly didn't read the OP's post-

It's about a boiler system- and converting to NG.
He also asked about a tankless system, i.e. combi system.

I wouldn't go tankless.

Get a regular boiler for the heat system and a regular tank water heater for the hot water. As soon as you start to add tankless or having your boiler work double duty, it complicates the system and the costs go up quick.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
We have had a ton of trouble with our tankless hot water heater.

And we don’t have hot water on demand either.

When it goes south, DH says we’ll buy a tank.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:51 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I was about to change over to a tankless WH here in the northeast, but last winter we lost power, and it was damn nice still having hot water with a tank system that has a pilot light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House