Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 10:48 PM

506 posts, read 510,208 times

Advertisements

Must haves...hm.

A big turn-off would be an outhouse in the back yard.

But "would be nice" follows:

A fireplace (gas or woodburning, doesn't matter).

A place for washer and dryer

A dishwasher

A swimming pool and a hot tub

A whirlpool tub in the bathroom with a walk-in shower next to it.

An elongated toilet (if you are a woman or you have one living with you, you'd understand.)

Bedroom on the second floor (security thing. I can see on the monitor if someone breaks in and I am prepared, having a camera pointing in each room of the house, wife on the phone, pistol or shotgun in my hands).

Cameras everywhere. A Ring doorbell. Cameras all over inside and outside the house.

A burglar alarm system.

A large balcony the size of a porch.

A wraparound porch

Austin limestone exterior

In a safe area, with low to no crime.

Close to nature

45 minutes or less drive from a major city i.e. Austin, Houston, Dallas.

Rooms in the right places. I've been in houses where the rooms were laid out just wrong.

Open floor plan. I don't like closed-off kitchens.

Big windows, so I can see the critters running. I like seeing wildlife, especially deer, bobcats, coyotes, etc.

A two or three car garage.

A house similar to this pic follows:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1b/62...3cf8b097b1.jpg

(Google "Norton Mansion Llano)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 11:22 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,842 times
Screens on the windows
Bikeable neighborhood
Glass and concrete are made of river/ocean sand, which is becoming more expensive. Shutters instead of glass windows may become standard.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:37 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Overlooking the critical issue of location: efficient windows and doors. Workshop area. Big enough garage. Large enough yard, but not too large to mow easily. Outdoor place to sit. Dance floor.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:02 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
-Two story (at least)
-Bathtub
-Master bedroom bathroom (even if it just a water closet)
-At least 1 spare bedroom-but more will be great.
-Double sink
-Dishwasher

My house has all of that plus so much more.

Cat
We haven’t heard much about your house lately. Whatcha been up to? What did you ever do with the garage?

Old 09-21-2018, 06:37 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Well, I wanted 50 acres with an ocean view somewhere around the Bay Area, but unable to attain that, I already have the location and lot size I want here in the PNW. An acre +, with only one neighbor kitty-corner to me an acre away. On a hill (no view, though), but quiet - oh, is it quiet! And no worries about floods or slides or even earthquakes. Power is underground, water is clean.

For the house, though, I'd be happy with just about anything, but one thing I will insist on is a large bathtub (a garden tub would be ideal) and a decent sized kitchen (which would still be smaller than most kitchens, I think).

Anything else would be a want. My wants include an updated but old fashioned fridge and stove by Elmira, a farmhouse sink, a sunroom, a pool spa, and fencing all around the property. Plus electricity and a septic system eventually.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:31 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We haven’t heard much about your house lately. Whatcha been up to? What did you ever do with the garage?
Still full of crap...er...stuff. Still has a boat in front of it so we can't even have it painted nor having the driveway paved. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to have a yard sale this year to get rid of some of the crap...er...stuff. We do know someone who will buy everything in one swoop-but there are still boxes I need to go through to make sure we are not getting rid of anything that shouldn't be gotten rid of. I just have been procrastinating on it. Once the snow falls, I won't be able to get out there so all of this may have to wait until next year. But, I REALLY, REALLY want that boat out of there. It has been listed on Craigslist for the last FOUR YEARS! I have listed it on Facebook. Does anyone want to buy a 25 ft O'Day sailboat? It is in good shape-just needs a serious cleaning.

But we did have the downstairs bathroom done last year. I used to hate that room but now it is beautiful.

Cat

Old 09-21-2018, 08:47 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Still full of crap...er...stuff. Still has a boat in front of it so we can't even have it painted nor having the driveway paved. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to have a yard sale this year to get rid of some of the crap...er...stuff. We do know someone who will buy everything in one swoop-but there are still boxes I need to go through to make sure we are not getting rid of anything that shouldn't be gotten rid of. I just have been procrastinating on it. Once the snow falls, I won't be able to get out there so all of this may have to wait until next year. But, I REALLY, REALLY want that boat out of there. It has been listed on Craigslist for the last FOUR YEARS! I have listed it on Facebook. Does anyone want to buy a 25 ft O'Day sailboat? It is in good shape-just needs a serious cleaning.

But we did have the downstairs bathroom done last year. I used to hate that room but now it is beautiful.

Cat
Wow, you’d think the boat would have sold. Oh well, the stuff isn’t going anywhere, so maybe in the spring.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:02 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Wow, you’d think the boat would have sold. Oh well, the stuff isn’t going anywhere, so maybe in the spring.
Yeah, you would think the boat would have sold. In fact, we have reduced the price a couple of times. It really is a good deal but no one seems to want it.

Unfortunately, the longer it sits in the garage, the worst they get in terms of mustiness. I know everything needs to get out of there as soon as possible. In terms of the boxes that I have gone through, the things that I put back in there are things that are made out of metal, glass or any material that will not absorb moisture. But, I do know there is still some out there that do.

Cat

Old 09-21-2018, 01:37 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:

Cat

How much will you pay me to haul that boat away?

Old 09-21-2018, 02:02 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
In no particular order:

* a basement
* sidewalks on every street
* detached garage in back where it belongs
* a neighborhood that scores high on walkability
* walls made of plaster and lathe (no sh!tty drywall) meaning: good old house construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House