Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

Every spring these big bumble bees show up and eat holes in the exterior of my house. They like to eat holes in the eve and wood trimming. The question is this- is there ANY way to kill the damn things short of using a tennis racket? What kind of POISON do I need to get rid of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:23 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Unpainted, exposed wood is especially attractive to carpenter bees.

Carpenter Bees

Old 04-02-2008, 08:34 PM

563 posts, read 3,743,233 times
Carpenter Bees are the pits! Have they also been doing their dive bombing attacks at your head to scare you off 'their property"?!?!?
The short answer is -you need an exterminator. the way to take care of them involved spraying the holes (where the little #&%^% are laying eggs and where their larvae are going to munch through your wood frame) and dusting them with a powder that kills them. As far as I know there isn't much to be done as a preventative but I could be wrong.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:44 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,053 times
I've got a problem also that it is in the beginning stages. I have been told by numerous people that they are impossible to get rid of. You fix their holes, they dig/chew new ones. I now have vinyl siding everywhere I could put it.. and now they decided to chew on my wood fence and are hanging around on my deck. I know people think I'm nuts, but I'm out there chasing them with a fly swatter trying to kill the buggers. I put spray down the holes then covered them up. But.. they're back. I hear if you can get rid of them, they'll find your neighbors house. Ugh!! If anyone comes up with a way, I'd love to know more.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:28 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
I've got a problem also that it is in the beginning stages. I have been told by numerous people that they are impossible to get rid of. You fix their holes, they dig/chew new ones. I now have vinyl siding everywhere I could put it.. and now they decided to chew on my wood fence and are hanging around on my deck. I know people think I'm nuts, but I'm out there chasing them with a fly swatter trying to kill the buggers. I put spray down the holes then covered them up. But.. they're back. I hear if you can get rid of them, they'll find your neighbors house. Ugh!! If anyone comes up with a way, I'd love to know more.
We had them in our other house, they went down through the siding and I could hear them underneath it. They did put a hole in one section of our fence but there didn't seem to be a big deal except for that one spot under the siding they sent to.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
We had them in our other house, they went down through the siding and I could hear them underneath it. They did put a hole in one section of our fence but there didn't seem to be a big deal except for that one spot under the siding they sent to.
Oh No.. I keep seeing them buzz around the siding but don't see how they could get in. Was there a hole you could see in the siding? Now I'm panic stricken that they maybe in there. eeh gads!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
If you think wood eating bees are a problem you should see the critters that infest stone or concrete houses. The stone eating wasps and the concrete drilling beetles among others.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:25 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
Get an exterminator asap and get a yearly contract! We had a neighbor that her window frames were crumbling like powder.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:59 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
Oh No.. I keep seeing them buzz around the siding but don't see how they could get in. Was there a hole you could see in the siding? Now I'm panic stricken that they maybe in there. eeh gads!
No there was no hole in the siding but I watched them and they would go in where the siding ended with the garage, I think it was the wood trim and them travel down about 2 feet is where I heard them.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:58 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
The only way to get rid of them is to call an exterminator - at least - that is what we were told at our previous house. Our neighbor found where they had destroyed areas in his garage, so he got an exterminator out - and we all started checking our homes to see if we had an infestation as well. We had our home sprayed "just in case" b/c we did find them hovering around the facia on one end of our house. No one ever had a problem again - at least not in the six or so houses right around us. We moved five years later so it appeared the treatment worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House