Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 07:37 AM

41 posts, read 37,745 times

Advertisements

Here are some better pictures, there are two trees so I tried to get pictures of both.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking to buy a house but it has two big trees right next to it.-20180922_093211.jpg   Looking to buy a house but it has two big trees right next to it.-20180922_093254.jpg   Looking to buy a house but it has two big trees right next to it.-20180922_093410.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Knowledgable responders, Look at it through your phone and enlarge it and lighten the view right there even without taking a pic first. Or take the pic and play with it.

I'm actually surprised it looks like the front step-up in front of the door is not messed up.

Has that been redone recently?

The stuff at the base of the tree....is that vegetation? It looks like the roots are not way out of the soil...or is vegetation covering them?

How about neighbors? Can they tell you how this house's owners did with the trees and how people around there fare with them?
We are surprised about nothing being raised near the tree. I will go ask some neighbors soon. Thanks for your response.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:50 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason777 View Post
The plan would be to have the seller deduct the tree removal cost from the price or we don't want it. The problem is there aren't too many nice homes in our price range around here. The problem is we didn't see access to a crawlspace so I can't say for sure what it looks like underneath.
The reason it’s in your price range is probably those trees. The seller may well have gotten an estimate on what it will take to remove them, and possibly also an assessment of damage to the house.

Are you getting a house inspection? If you buy this house without one, you may find out that this house isn’t a good deal at all, that it may in fact be one of the most expensive houses in the neighborhood.

If you decide to put up your earnest money, make completion of the sale contingent on a satisfactory home inspection.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:54 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Those are maple trees. What species of maple? I don't know.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:00 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,389,618 times
that tree is way too close to the house. I would pass on that house. What you save up front may be a fraction of what it costs down the road to fix problems from roots.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:04 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It's a maple. The problem is that maple trees have surface roots that grow along the top of the ground instead of deep like oak trees. Maple trees are notorious for damaging sidewalks and any other structures around them. You should be able to see the roots growing in the yard.

http://www.learn2grow.com/gardeningg...treeroots.aspx

It's not good, but honestly a bigger red flag is that you haven't been able to see under the house at all. That should be done before you make ANY decisions.

FYI it will cost several thousand dollars to remove a tree that size, so don't count on the sellers being amenable to that idea.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:04 AM

We just had an inspection, I'll have the report today. Everything looked good except the garage roof and he was concerned about the trees but we did not see a way to check under the front of the house. The back foundation in the Michigan basement looked good but he told us we would have to cut a hole in the closet to know for sure about the front due to not having a way to crawl under the house. It's kind of a bad situation because we need to move soon as well. The furnace and water heater are fairly new, everything else checks out.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:06 AM

I've seen under the back of the house but that is our biggest concern as well. I'm not entirely sure how I would know what the foundation looks like. What kind of sounds would there be if any above?

Old 09-22-2018, 08:15 AM

Realtor agreed that it they don't do 5000 in concessions then we will just find another house but even then I am concerned about the foundation costing more down the line.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:22 AM

613 posts, read 944,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason777 View Post
Here is a picture of one of the trees.
What are you paying for that place? It looks kind of "funky" to me. Is it run-down--old windows, roof, etc.? That tree--it shouldn't cost thousands to remove, as someone suggested; altho there are probably companies that would try to charge you that much. And good tree guys shouldn't have a problem with it.

But based on that one murky picture, & some of the other stuff you said, I'd pass. You already have too many doubts about the place......don't feel like you "have" to buy it, you don't.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House